And the backlash begins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
Of course we all love "Vertigo." Honestly, I haven't seen a single negative comment about it in this forum, which blows me away.

But how are your non-U2-fanatic friends/family taking it? People I know absolutely hate it -- and these people don't hate U2 or anything, they're just not extreme fans. I've heard comments ranging from, "That single is awful. Sorry. Sounds like a c-side," to just plain, "Ugh." General consensus is that they're trying way too hard to fit into the current musical landscape, and that they're coming off like idiots. And I can't argue with that; God knows I don't think it's true, but I can certainly see how the general public could come to that conclusion.

i've had one negative comment come my way, basically saying that U2 is ripping off The Pixies, and that Bono's voice is terrible.

You know, U2 are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't - you can't please everyone all of the time, you will always get detractors on anything anyone does. Vertigo judged on its own is a rocking tune - I suspect if people judged the song on its own merits, not knowing it was U2, am sure a lot of negative feedback you spoke about would not exist

Some people on another forum I'm on really ripped into it, but they were already entrenched U2 haters..so I dunno how this song will go down with less biased types...pretty good though i would have thought, its very attention-grabbing.

I've had about 5-6 friends listen to it, and they all loved it!

I haven't heard any negative comments...but then my friends haven't heard it. THOUGH, one of my friends was listening to the local rock station here in Richmond and she said the local DJs were talking about how awesome it is, so hopefully they'll play it often. We'll see!

mikal said:
i've had one negative comment come my way, basically saying that U2 is ripping off The Pixies, and that Bono's voice is terrible.

Personally I think Bono's voice sounds great - whats not to like about it during this song? He's 44 years old - can't stop age/25 years of singing and the odd night of partying without expecting a voice to change over course of time!

I can't see how anyone could complain about Bono on this song..to me, its his best vocal since the Batman single!

yeah i don't get the rip on bono's voice.

i've played it for a few people...they all seemed to like the new direction (all were casual u2 fans i suppose). one of my roommates said that it wasn't great..good, but nothing special. but i think he was trying to bring me down since i was rocking out to it over and over and over all afternoon. asshole.

anyway, overall it's been positive my way.

I think Bono sounds great. In fact, his voice doesn't scratch as much as ATYCLB. Dude sounds great.

If people don't like it, then let them be. Your the U2 fan and you should enjoy it. Don't worry about the rest.

The thing is, I don't care if others do or don't like it. I dislike 99% of the music out there - and usually go "blech" when I hear other new music. So it's all fair.

Feedback from BBC Radio 1 listeners (and DJ) was entirely positive, and Radio 2 ALSO PLAYED IT TWICE IN A ROW !!

MIKE

u2ulysses said:
The thing is, I don't care if others do or don't like it. I dislike 99% of the music out there - and usually go "blech" when I hear other new music. So it's all fair.

yep. same here.

as long as i like it, then awesome. and i love it, so everyone who doesnt ike it is just missing out to me

Homerpalooza said:
Of course we all love "Vertigo." Honestly, I haven't seen a single negative comment about it in this forum, which blows me away.

General consensus is that they're trying way too hard to fit into the current musical landscape, and that they're coming off like idiots. And I can't argue with that; God knows I don't think it's true, but I can certainly see how the general public could come to that conclusion.

I agree, my sister heard the song today and she said it was ugly, my cousin thinks the same and they don't even hate the band. My mother just laughed and asked me was how old were they when she saw the video. Now, normally i could't care less about other people's opinions but this time i share the same opinion. I don't like the song, and the video isn't very good either.

all of my true u2 fan friends loved it.. the casual one that i told to listen to it hated it

Well, if you are waiting for Joshua Tree Part II you will surely be disappointed. Lets face it, U2 will never make a second JT, and i am glad they don't. U2 always tries new things and puts influences of todays music in it, and i think its great. And not the whole album will be like Vertigo.

Poor U2, dissed for trying to fit into the current landscape? If they didn't they'd be called old and slow and outdated, what can you do? I think it is very 'today' but also very 'U2!' Bono's voice sounds good and young! I only know one other person who heard it and they said his vocals were very ambitious but would he be able to maintain that level night after night on tour if especially if they open with it? But he liked the song. I'm still high in love with it :cute:

mikal said:

His voice sounds great in my opinion... Interesting.. I don't notice the pixies connection.

I agree that U2 are damned if they do damned if they don't. They tried to be experimental with Pop and it fails, they tried to go mainstream and play it safer with ATYCLB and people complain about that, now they go back to their roots and make an all out rock song and people bash it. And I agree with what Patrick said. I am just glad I am not one of those people sitting around waiting for Joshua Tree part II.

Bono's voice sounds great, I don't care what anyone says. His voice is probably my favourite in the world, but lately it seems his lyrics could certainly use a little work.

vertigo

I work with a bunch of people that like U2 fine.. not big fans (some of the older stuff) and when I played it yesterday.. the most cynical of those people.. (who sits closest to me)

said "that sounds pretty good"
and I emailed another friend who is a fan, but would tell me in a second if he didn't like it

and his reaction was "SWEET!"

so I think reaction is positive from what I can tell.. but surely people will hate it.. that's par for the course.. people hated Beautiful Day too.. I think reaction to Vertigo is better so far..

i think theres some good posts here. They are definetly dammed for being the biggest band in the world, the regular u2 haters out there will hate it just for being u2. The same people that hated ATYCLB for being "wattered down and radio friendly" hate the new u2 single for "trying to be too hard-edge and punk rock." You cant satisfy everyone, they could release another AB and people would hate on it. It just will happened, over the radio I havent heard ANY bad things about the single. I love it.

I'm with grindstone. I'm trying to be subjective, but from what I can tell the reaction is much better than BD. Many folks called that one an adult top 40 throwaway.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean, we're fans of the biggest band on earth that's still doing albums. That's a pretty big target. We're (and the band) are going to be jeared by the peanut gallery even if this album is AB2.

And for those who think it's cheesy and that they are trying too hard: are you kidding? It's the most effertless sounding thing they've had in years. And it rocks.

The Pixies thing doesn't really make sense, but it probably has to do with the Spanish stuff... the Pixies did that a lot.

Back
Top Bottom