And the backlash begins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't heard any negative comments yet either - played it for three of my friends, one of them a casual U2 fan and the other two not really, and they all thought it rocked. 92.3 WTTS premiered the song yesterday and played it three times in a row, and tons of people called in talking about how great it was... of course there will always be people who hate U2 just because it's U2, and others simply won't like it - but who cares? The general reaction of the overall U2 fanbase is "HELL yes!" If U2 fans like it, then everything will be just fine :up:

I've had one comment of "yeah, it's U2, so it's alright, but you know they're just not really my thing" from my deluded pop-listening friend. Besides that, completely positive. My favourite was "I didn't even expect to like it, but I LOVE it."

I can't read anymore of your mindless devotion...I have loved U2 since 1984, went to all of the tours bought all the albums, singles, poster, calanders, etc. etc. etc. from then 'till now, and up to today every time I heard something new from the boys I was blown away: that is until today. I mean what the hell happened to the magic? Anyone else think this is U2 trying to be something of a white stripes cross-bread.

I am so hurt, and I know many of you will just write me off as an idiot for not just eating it up with a spoon, ,but I have to be honest with my impression here. I would not say this if it truly had not hurt to be so under whelmed.

Again, let me state I have been with U2 since the early early early days, I love Zooropa and Pop (two of the least favs among large groups) I have loved it all until today.

There are songs on each album that don't do it for me like others do (i.e. Miami on Pop), but never have U2 lead out with a new single from the new album that I did not like:

1984: Pride <-- How can anyone not like this?

1987: Streets <-- Should be the national anthem!

1988: Desire <-- Damn nice, enough said.

1991: One <-- Don't need to say anything.

1993: Stay <-- Refer to above.

2001: Beautiful Day <-- Amazing!

2004: Vertigo <-- What the hell happened to the magic???

I even loved Electrical Storm, that William Orbit Mix had tons of U2 magic, but I can't hear any magic in this new stuff (so far). So please help me 'cause all of a sudden I don't even know who I am anymore.

RobVox

Last edited:
To me this sounds as fresh as anything they have done and I think it is great. Some people won't like it, but not everyone liked Pop or Achtung Baby or ATYCLB. In general, (almost) everyone seems to be impressed - I don't care for what non-fans or critics make of it anyway, it isn't aimed at them so who cares what they think. If some long standing U2 fans don't like it, thats a pity - but I didn't like Beautiful Day much on first listen so it might grow on you.

RobVox said:
I can't read anymore of your mindless devotion...I have loved U2 since 1984, went to all of the tours bought all the albums, singles, poster, calanders, etc. etc. etc. from then 'till now, and up to today every time I heard something new from the boys I was blown away: that is until today. I mean what the hell happened to the magic? Anyone else think this is U2 trying to be something of a white stripes cross-bread.

I am so hurt, and I know many of you will just write me off as an idiot for not just eating it up with a spoon, ,but I have to be honest with my impression here. I would not say this if it truly had not hurt to be so under whelmed.

Again, let me state I have been with U2 since the early early early days, I love Zooropa and Pop (two of the least favs among large groups) I have loved it all until today.

There are songs on each album that don't do it for me like others do (i.e. Miami on Pop), but never have U2 lead out with a new single from the new album that I did not like.

I even loved Electrical Storm, that William Orbit Mix had tons of U2 magic, but I can't hear any magic in this new stuff (so far). So please help me 'cause all of a sudden I don't even know who I am anymore.

RobVox

If you want sympathy its better not to come across as thinking anyone who likes Vertigo is "mindlessly devoted" to the band ;) Sure, there are some super-obsessed people out there who will like anything U2 does, but don't lump everyone who digs the song into a single group. As for myself, my likeage of the song isn't down to my fandom, but more the fact that i love uptempo rock and this is a particularly fine example of it. :D

Last edited:
Originally posted by RobVox

What the hell happened to your list?

1984 - Pride
1987 - With Or Without You
1988 - Desire
1991 - The Fly
1993 - Numb
1997 - Discotheque
2000 - Beautiful Day
2004 - Vertigo

Sure you're a fan?

Axver said:

What the hell happened to your list?

1984 - Pride
1987 - With Or Without You
1988 - Desire
1991 - The Fly
1993 - Numb
1997 - Discotheque
2000 - Beautiful Day
2004 - Vertigo

Sure you're a fan?

hey jack ass if you read my whole entry, I am just talking about the single releases I remember that lead out for the new albums...reading, it isn't just about looking at letters.

RobVox

RobVox, I think his point is that Streets, One & Stay were not the lead singles from the respective albums. So you should be comparing to the first singles, not what followed. Seeing as one of those is With or Wihout You, that won't make you like Vertigo any more though.

cdparky said:
RobVox, I think his point is that Streets, One & Stay were not the lead singles from the respective albums. So you should be comparing to the first singles, not what followed. Seeing as one of those is With or Wihout You, that won't make you like Vertigo any more though.

Well truly I was not hoping for With or Without You again, in fact I was with the band on Achtung about it sounding like the four of them cutting down the Joshua Tree, and I still loved it. As per my list, it is all from memory, remember I LIVED this stuff, I didn't just jump on the "bandwagon" these past 3, 5, or even ten years, so if I remembered wrong I am sorry.

My main point was not the order, but that everytime I heard a new single it had that U2 magic, and this time...it felt empty...I am just looking for some hope, not to start a flame war.

RobVox

RobVox said:

hey jack ass if you read my whole entry, I am just talking about the single releases I remember that lead out for the new albums...reading, it isn't just about looking at letters.

RobVox

Well your memory's obviously poor because I just listed the singles that lead out the new albums. I mean, EVERYONE knows The Fly was the first single off AB. One? WTF?

Get over yourself.

Axver said:

Well your memory's obviously poor because I just listed the singles that lead out the new albums. I mean, EVERYONE knows The Fly was the first single off AB. One? WTF?

Get over yourself.

Fuck your revolution! (see my last post you insignificant wanna-be)

RobVox

I totally agree with RobVox: no magic here... That's what i'm missing...

U2 can do a lot better... that's why we are disappointed... This is not your usual rock band...this is U2!!!

I still have hope about HTDAAB though.

RobVox said:

RobVox

Excuse me? So just because I point out a factual error in your post, I'm starting a 'revolution' now?

I've no time for whingers like you. This discussion's over.

RobVox said:

RobVox

not to gang up on anyone, but this comment is totally inappropriate considering that you are actually wrong in your listing of the first singles; "The Fly" was the first single from Achtung Baby.

Hahah. This is hysterical. It's a rock and roll song for crying out loud. Some of these people sound like they are going to jump off a freaking bridge. Lighten up, enjoy the song if you are able to, and if you can't, relax, it's not the end of the world. RobVox, i think calling Axver a jack-ass and an insignificant-wanna be was pretty lame considering you are the one who effed up. Go weep in a corner over your falling out with U2 after 1 day of a new song instead of calling people names.

Is anyone else detecting a bit of resentment from some U2 fans that the band isn't continuing in the mature, reflective vein of the last album? Its like they had the balls to do a rock and roll song at their age, but some think they should be more "respectable" ;) I dunno, its just something I'm picking up from a few posts..personally I think the new song is exactly the sound they should be pursuing.

Well if they didn't take the approach like they did with this first single, who would care about U2? They couldn't release another WOWY or something like they have done before (ballad type-rock), they had to take this road, and they charged down that road a million miles an hour!

I played the song for a guy I know at school (he's the bass player from my old band) and he loved it! Direct quote upon hearing the end of the first chorus:

"Man, this is wicked! I love the bass!"

Sleep Over Jack said:
Is anyone else detecting a bit of resentment from some U2 fans that the band isn't continuing in the mature, reflective vein of the last album? Its like they had the balls to do a rock and roll song at their age, but some think they should be more "respectable" ;) I dunno, its just something I'm picking up from a few posts..personally I think the new song is exactly the sound they should be pursuing.

This has been going on since the beginning of time. I saw U2 when they started in the clubs in NYC and when they went to larger arenas and started getting more airtime a lot of people I went to these shows with said they had sold out, they weren't cool anymore. Twenty+ years later it has happened with some fans after each reinvention.

Unfortunately some people can't adapt to change or just don't like the change. Personally, I find the changes have made this long strange trip much more enjoyable.

hasnt anyone who's ever gotten into U2 and liked their music basically jumped on the bandwagon? i mean, its impossible not to jump on the band wagon, or else you dont like them (george carlin would have a field day with this:wink: ) ..and since when is it a bad thing to like a band in the last few years that you didn't know about cus you were born in a different decade...man, whats that all about? im sorry for being born in '82 then cus i "jumped" on the band wagon...i guess i wasnt meant to be a fan cus i missed 'boy', 'october', 'war', 'UF'... :no:

MrBrau1 said:
Gotta love these new fans.

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

I think everyone needs to lighten up. This is just a fun rock song to get your foot tapping and your head bobbing. I don't think it was meant to be overly deep. I love the deep songs, don't get me wrong...but for the most part, those types of songs don't do extrodinarily when it comes to single sales. I mean, could you imagine what would have happened if U2 released "Please" as their first single for Pop? I love the song, but casual listeners I know don't care much for it.

And people - DO NOT JUDGE THE ALBUM BASED UPON ONE SONG! Bono even said that they're going to be different!

Anyway, I think the song's great. U2 can't be serious all the time.

Back
Top Bottom