Achtung Baby(I Decree)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I hereby name....no, I declare....no, I decree, that

"Achtung, Baby" IS THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER RECORDED

( :drool: x infinity ) x ( :drool: x infinity)

Totally pointless and shit thread...

BUT...

I only choose to comment because I find it amazing that you and I totally 100% agree on something. ;)

Depth, shallowness, beauty, ugly, love, hate all wrapped into one album:yes:

in fact i don't think it ever needed declared as the greatest album of all time i always thought it was a universal truth:wink:

I hereby declare that the best album ever recorded is actually The Unforgettable Fire and that Achtung Baby is actually one of U2's weaker albums.

But you expected that, huh? I'll go back to my Achtung Baby-less vacation. Achtung is so much better when all you have is The Fly, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness on a mix CD.

Axver said:
I hereby declare that the best album ever recorded is actually The Unforgettable Fire and that Achtung Baby is actually one of U2's weaker albums.

But you expected that, huh? I'll go back to my Achtung Baby-less vacation. Achtung is so much better when all you have is The Fly, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness on a mix CD.

Blah blah blah.

BRAVO Axver !! :bow:
I've never understood what all the fuss is about Achtung Baby.
Yeah, it's a rockin' album ... but the greatest U2 album ever recorded ?? :laugh:

IMO, the GREATEST album EVER recorded by U2 is definitely War !!
CLASSIC songs and the album where Bono FINALLY found
his "true" vocals !! :drool:

Axver said:

:yes:

I don't even know you, but I always associate The Unforgettable Fire (and City of Blinding Lights) with you, especially when it comes to fair ol' Achtung Baby.

Last edited:
:eyebrow: The one thing that can be said about U2 fans is that we all like something different...tis the only certainty...they be the only band that i know off whoes own fanbase is so divided.

You have the primarily 80s fans who may also hate the 90s U2...the 90s fans who may dislike the 80s U2...those who only like U2 up til War (i suppose Indie U2 fans?)...and now some noughties U2 fans who know nothing of the previous decades...

Of course if you consider the other divisions a band that has fansites with forums dedicated to faith discussion:huh: having muslim and christian U2 fans alongside atheist fans...im sure there be democrat and republican U2 fans.....

All this i imagine quite confuses the band:wink:

Lancemc said:
What about fans who happen to love everything? :shifty:

haha no worries i love everything too and i hate the way some people seem to treat that as blind fanaticism...they just be that rare band where i don't have a bad thing to say about any of their albums or at least things very minor that they don't spoil my enjoyment (ie i think this whole production argument on HTDAAB has been blown out of all proportion most people really enjoy the album*shrugs*

and to MacPhistoPT i have my preferences to just Achtung:drool:

Aaaah, Acthung Baby! Why is it the greatest album U2 ever recorded you ask? Because it was an album no one expected to get. Distorted vocals, sha la la's, weird guitar sounds, strange rhythms and danceable songs. What the hell was this all about? Where were the political songs, songs of protest and disgust?

For me Achtung Baby was a grower, it didn't hit me head on like HTDAAB or The Joshua Tree. That side of U2 I get right away. AB and Zooropa (and for the matter UF and Pop) took some time to get used to. Especially those of us here in the 'States'.

The Fly confused me, Mysterious Ways brought me some relief. However when I plugged the album in the first time and heard Zoo Station I was shocked. I didn't get it. I listened all the way through, but I was not impressed. I yearned for another Bullet or God Part II, but I got So Cruel and Trying To Throw Your Arms Around the World. I missed the Edge's guitar frenzy, so distracted by everything else in the production.

Then, about 3 months later I got it. I remember the moment, I was standing waiting for the morning transit, and I popped in my cassette (wow, that was a long time ago) and the light just came on. U2 were talking about the relationship I have with my wife, my friends, my family. Bono wasn't singing about Nicaragua, or Belfast or Washington D.C., he was singing about love, anger, even jealousy. I was floored.

So does that make it the best U2 album ever, no, but what I also realized is the U2 took their basic song writing structure and shook it up a little, still using hooks and melodies to capture our attention but making it sound fresh and "modern". Songs like "Until The End Of The World," "Even Better...," "One," and "Acrobat" are classic songs. Songs that will sound fresh 15 years from today. That is what makes Achtung Baby the greatest U2 album of all time.

Lancemc said:
What about fans who happen to love everything? :shifty:

Me!

I just happen to love some albums more than others :D for awhile I thought Achtung Baby was my favourite U2 record, then I listened to Pop again and realized I was just kidding myself :wink: but Achtung... what a brilliant, brilliant record. And of course it contains the greatest song ever (One).

Man do I love Achtung Baby!

Axver said:
I hereby declare that one of the best albums ever recorded is actually The Unforgettable Fire and that Achtung Baby actually kicks its ass all over the place to become the best album ever created including intergalatic beings

yeh thats what i think he meant to say...Avxer just got his wires crossed tis all.

LJT said:

yeh thats what i think he meant to say...Avxer just got his wires crossed tis all.

Twisting peoples words, come on my man, don't do it your better than that,

lend me money:wink:

Does it have Ultra Violet on it? Yes?

Then it's the best album ever.

I disagree that it's the best album ever, but it's certinally the best U2 ever put out. An amazing, thoughtful, brave, dare I say...life changing album.

Ultraviolet -> Acrobat -> Love Is Blindness :drool:

inmyplace13 said:
Does it have Ultra Violet on it? Yes?

Then it's the best album ever.

If I burned Ultraviolet on to a CD and delcared it an album, would it also be the best album ever??

If the human race ever became extinct on this planet and it was invaded by an army of space monkeys, Achtung Baby is the album that I would hope they find and have the pleasure of listening to.

So yes... greatest album ever, period. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom