A question about Live-Aid Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rihannsu said:
Actually what happened was that he had pointed to one of the girls but as they were pulled out he saw that other girl was being crushed. ... The reporter who tracked her down really had to dig to find her. That was such a pivotal moment in the show that she could have really cashed in with the talk show rounds and such but she never did.

Dana

Funnily enough the 2 'other girls' that were waiting on the stage did cash in a took part in a documentary about Live Aid on the BBC a couple of years ago... they weren't overly complimenary of Bono's embraces from what I recall (which seemed a bit rich in retrospect).

Jim said:

Funnily enough the 2 'other girls' that were waiting on the stage did cash in a took part in a documentary about Live Aid on the BBC a couple of years ago... they weren't overly complimenary of Bono's embraces from what I recall (which seemed a bit rich in retrospect).

I think it was a bit of sour grapes on their part. They were obviously miffed that Bono ignored them at first in his concern for the other girl and that he actually danced with her and all the got was a short hug and a peck on the cheek. I could understand their being miffed on the day because of not understanding that the other girl was being crushed, but with all the press afterwords to still have their noses out of joint is just petty.

Dana

yeh.. from what I recall there comments were along the lines of: "why did he kiss us?" "he was sweaty" "he was stubbly" "he was smelly".. I can only assume that their attendance was purely based on the fact that Nik Kershaw was performing ;)

i liked nik kershaws song, im only 19 so i missed live aid by 2 years but i liked alot of songs performed that day. ultravox, nik kershaw,status quo, etc fantastic concert. in order of best concerts ever i think its

live aid
live 8
concert for diana :)

prideofzootv said:
few pointers on Queens set: -

Bo Rhap intro
Radio Ga Ga (hit song from their latest tour which they just finished)
Hammer To Fall (another hit song from their latest tour)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love (loud feedback when originally performed during alot of the song)
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

2 songs from "the works" album which was released in 1984, played on the works tour 84/85. tour finished in Africa in 85. Queen were on the blacklist, due to shrugging off doing a concert for benefit in Africa to do a 6 night show in a fancy hotel.

Queen came on in live aid to show that they do care and that they should not be blacklisted. however, to this day, they are still on the blacklist of africa.

Also Freddie was in mega hyper mode that day from excitement, he handled many stars that day, he twirls with a camera man during hammer to fall, he runs all over the stage with his guitar during crazy little thing, and they were one of the only bands to wear casual cheap jeans and shirts while nearly everyone else wore expensive deisgner wear.

I don't get your post...

anyway, sure, U2's set was greatm bono stole the show there, he thought he'd messed up, but he didn't. There were A LOT (and I mean a lot) of U2 flags on the crowd, that's really impressive...

U2 were like Arcade Fire are right now (well, AF is not THAT popular still)... an up and coming band, with loyal fans and such.

but Queen... queen OWNED the show... just ook at Radio GaGa and see the crowd.... like in another post someone said that bol Geldof was frozen at that sight.. well... IT IS SOMETHING TO BE FROZEN ABOUT...

Queen OWNED that show... maybe u2 stole them... but THE show to see is Queen... sure, they had many more great shows... and U2 too... but none of them were seen by 1.5 billion people, and what you see on TV is the reality.

PS: I always like to think that Bob Geldof also was show stealer... specially with "drag Me Down"... look that performance.llok that energy... that wildness, that power... AMAZING

The Boomtown Rats are REALLY under-rated

Back
Top Bottom