A Little Bit More New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the picture of Bono with Dallas and that guy in the background I knew immediately that he's the one we've been talking about. But I don't know much about him and I certainly didn't know he was that close to Bono and the band.

Well, it's a public pic from U2.com, it's not a photograph from his family's album.
I don't understand which is the problem.

My understanding is that you took a person who quite deliberately chose to offer their assessment of the album anonymously, and outed them/connected the dots by showing a photo of them. I can't believe you'd think a defense of that action is pointing out the photo you chose is from a public source.

I have to stick up for Super Yo (and by extension, Romi) for a moment here. The new U2 record is not composed of state secrets, and this guy who heard it not an undercover agent whose name has been revealed.

It's a fan who heard music from a new rock album, and posted about it on FACEBOOK. And apparently told other people about it, who went on to tell other people who reported about it here. Sorry, you put something on Facebook or anywhere on the internet, it's public, period, I don't care if your profile is "private" or not. You start telling your friends about it, don't be surprised that it gets out. Especially something as trivial as this. If he broke some kind of faith with U2 (and it doesn't sound like he did to me), that's between him and U2. And frankly I don't think he did anything wrong by talking about hearing the record. As far as I can see, no one did anything wrong here...the guy who heard the record and talked about it, his friends passing the info on, the guy who broke this "story" here, Romi, for basically giving the whole thing away with the guys description, and Super Yo for republishing a pic from U2.com.

If the "leaker" didn't want people to know he heard music from the biggest band in the world, he probably should have just kept it to himself. Which is what I do.

Too soon.

:shh:

manhattan_project_lg.jpg

:sexywink:

"Manhattan" sounds like a too-obvious title. The Joshua Tree was supposed to be about America, but it wasn't called "America," and Achtung Baby wasn't called "The Former East Berlin." Maybe it would work for a song, like "Miami" or "New York," but I would hope they would come up with something a little more obscure for an album title.

I have to stick up for Super Yo for a moment here. The new U2 record is not composed of state secrets, and this guy who heard it not an undercover agent whose name has been revealed.

It's a fan who heard music from a new rock album, and posted about it on FACEBOOK. And apparently told other people about it, who went on to tell other people who reported about it here. Sorry, you put something on Facebook or anywhere on the internet, it's public, period, I don't care if you profile is "private" or not. You start telling your friends about it, don't be surprised that it gets out. Especially something as trivial as this. If he broke some kind of faith with U2 (and it doesn't sound like he did to me), that's between him and U2.

:up:

Well said. Move on people. I really don't want to read a full page of arguing over this.

It's a fan who heard music from a new rock album, and posted about it on FACEBOOK. And apparently told other people about it, who went on to tell other people who reported about it here. Sorry, you put something on Facebook or anywhere on the internet, it's public, period, I don't care if you profile is "private" or not. You start telling your friends about it, don't be surprised that it gets out. Especially something as trivial as this. If he broke some kind of faith with U2 (and it doesn't sound like he did to me), that's between him and U2.

Well, that complicates my opinion a bit. That's a better rebuttal than citing where the image came from.

"Manhattan" sounds like a too-obvious title. The Joshua Tree was supposed to be about America, but it wasn't called "America," and Achtung Baby wasn't called "The Former East Berlin." Maybe it would work for a song, like "Miami" or "New York," but I would hope they would come up with something a little more obscure for an album title.

I actually think it would be cool if U2 went self titled on this record.

I for one am completely OK with Every Breaking Wave potentially making the final cut. It was the only worthwhile new song played on 360 and sounds like something Danger Mouse could work magic with.

Agreed, there's a version on youtube somewhere with a Scandinavian guy who's added hs interpretation of what the full band U2 version would sound like and to be fair it's pretty great.

As for North Star, as someone who's name I don't remember once said "you can't polish a turd"

I guess it must say something about the 21st century and maybe me, but I was very sceptical about the tracklisting being from a genuine person, but reading GVOX and Headache's(2 people I've never met but who's posts I respect and enjoy reading) vouching for the person it all seems more likely.

However if it is a load of shite I really hope that at the very least Fresh and Furious is a real title, that would be fantastic.

how about 'Project Zero five one'?

or '10 reasons to exist'?

Quick thought on song and album titles: We're not really in a position to comment on whether they are good or not, because we don't know what the songs are about.

My understanding is that you took a person who quite deliberately chose to offer their assessment of the album anonymously, and outed them/connected the dots by showing a photo of them. I can't believe you'd think a defense of that action is pointing out the photo you chose is from a public source.

My understanding is that he offers their assessment in social media, if you want to be anonymous you just shut your mouth.

Also, everyone knows it was him after one description.

But if it's just a big deal, I still can't see why, I ask the moderators to delete the picture and the problem is solved.

Agreed, there's a version on youtube somewhere with a Scandinavian guy who's added hs interpretation of what the full band U2 version would sound like and to be fair it's pretty great.

As for North Star, as someone who's name I don't remember once said "you can't polish a turd"

I guess it must say something about the 21st century and maybe me, but I was very sceptical about the tracklisting being from a genuine person, but reading GVOX and Headache's(2 people I've never met but who's posts I respect and enjoy reading) vouching for the person it all seems more likely.

However if it is a load of shite I really hope that at the very least Fresh and Furious is a real title, that would be fantastic.

The tracklisting floating around isn't from the fan who heard the album last night. It was posted by someone else.

When I saw the picture of Bono with Dallas and that guy in the background I knew immediately that he's the one we've been talking about. But I don't know much about him and I certainly didn't know he was that close to Bono and the band.

I thought that was Gobinda from 007's Octopussy movie.

I heard a rumor (okay I started a rumor) that 'Fresh and Furious' is actually the new & improved DM version of 'Return of the Stingray Guitar', and they will play it this fall on tv commercials when the new Corvette Stingray hits showrooms.

2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-Pace-Car-front-view.jpg

Quick thought on song and album titles: We're not really in a position to comment on whether they are good or not, because we don't know what the songs are about.

We can comment on whatever we'd like. Some of those titles are inane. The content won't make them less so. Kind of like I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, which is as awful as its title promises.

My understanding is that he offers their assessment in social media, if you want to be anonymous you just shut your mouth.

Also, everyone knows it was him after one description.

But if it's just a big deal, I still can't see why, I ask the moderators to delete the picture and the problem is solved.

It was my fault with reading comprehension there, I read the words Facebook earlier but didn't internalize it. That does make it a bit different than having whispered to gvox and Headache, although all that said I'm still a bit uncomfortable pushing people's privacy out there beyond their discretion. But I don't want to Streisand Effect this so I'll stop talking about it.

Those song titles are atrocious. As is the suggestion that any of those atrocious original songs from the last tour survived to this album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom