90s U2 Celebration Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
This isn't just appreciation. This goes far beyond appreciation. This is a bloody thunderous standing ovation of indefinite length for the wierdness, the specialness, the colorfulness, the coolness, the eccentricness, the pompousness, the outer-spacey-ness, the boldness, the enormousness, the wonderfulness, the sheer uniqueness that is 90s U2. The amount of love and :rockon: those who respond to this thread have for 90s U2 makes mere appreciation look like a modest liking. This is a celebration of everything that was U2 in the 90s.

That means the records, all three of which are in my personal top 4, and two of which(AB and Pop) are, imo, the greatest records of U2's career. As well as the Passengers record, which is utterly beautiful and brilliant yet criminally underrated/misunderstood. The songs on these records are nothing short of brilliant, from Even Better to One to Until to The Fly to Love Is Blindnes to Numb to Lemon to Stay to Dirty Day to HMTMKMKM to Miss Sarajevo to Your Blue Room to Always Forever Now to Discotheque to DYFL to Mofo to If God to SATS to Gone to Please to Wake Up Dead Man and all the other ones I haven't mentioned. Every single one is worthy of :drool: , :rockon: , and :bow:.

That means the image of the band...we all agree ZooTV U2 was cool as hell. I am in the relative minority in thinking Popmart U2 was cool as hell as well.

That means the tours. ZooTV and Popmart. Look at the following pics. These are, imo, the greatest, most unbe-fucking-lievable stage setups for a rock tour I've ever seen. Pink Floyd might have one that can compete, but other than that, I haven't seen anything that's even in the same stratosphere. I could create seperate threads for the tours - the perfection of the setlsits, performances, clothing/costume/image, lighting, props, stage setup and all(in fact I have before) - but to sum it up here, let's just say this: I WOULD GIVE MY LEFT NUT TO BE ABLE TO GO BACK IN TIME AND BE IN THE PRESENCE OF ONE OR BOTH OF THE TOUR STAGES BELOW! :wink:

zoo6yx.jpg

pop4be.jpg

So, stand up and give a bloody thunderous standing ovation of indefinite length for the wierdness, the specialness, the colorfulness, the coolness, the eccentricness, the pompousness, the outer-spacey-ness, the boldness, the enormousness, the wonderfulness, the sheer uniqueness that is 90s U2.

:bow::drool::rockon: x infinity

Last edited:
namkcuR, that was an excellent intro for this thread. i agree wholeheartedly.

90's U2 is the U2 i fell in love with.

one of my biggest regrets in life is that I never got to go to a ZooTV or Popmart show. I was too young to find a way to go and lacked a significant source of income to pay for a ticket.

xtihn said:
one of my biggest regrets in life is that I never got to go to a ZooTV or Popmart show. I was too young to find a way to go and lacked a significant source of income to pay for a ticket.

:yes: I can only wish that I'd been there! Oh well, we got the dvd's.

But namkcuR, if I were you I'd think twice before donating one of my nuts off! :wink:

Yeah, I'll appreciate A Celebration's nineties incarnation.

Oh, wait, that's not quite what you meant. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

:yes: I can only wish that I'd been there! Oh well, we got the dvd's.

But namkcuR, if I were you I'd think twice before donating one of my nuts off! :wink:

The scary thing is I think I would do it! Those tours look sooooo :drool: :rockon:

90's U2 was the pinnacle of their career, and it showed just how different U2 was then than they are now.

They were at the top of the world after the success of JT and they threw everything completely away and started over with a new image, sound, and attitude...and amazingly enough, it worked even BETTER than the 80's. And from 1991 - 1995, every step they took just made them cooler and cooler.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no band, not even U2, will ever do anything as amazing and mind blowing as Zoo TV. Ever. Period. End of story.

Zootlesque said:
I hereby proclaim this the greatest thread in the history of the known universe! :wink:

And I second the motion.

The era with my favorite songs and top two favorite albums. The era with the two of the best stages ever seen. The era of MacPhisto, Mr The Edge, Poptart Adam, feet on your face, multiple oral sex references, sleeping on stones, getting up off your knees, looking for to save your save your soul, listening to the reed in the saxophone, LEMONS, feeling love for the first time, boobies in the album booklet, untying lace, hanging out with your mammy with surgery in the air, disco ball boomchaing, spinning heads, laughing gas, the gridlock, taking it to the street. I could go on this all day.

To steal from VH1, I Love The 90's.

:applaud:

As you know I prefer the 80's but the 90's were mindblowing. I love them too.

Favourite Album: Achtung Baby
Favourite Songs:

The Fly
Until the end of the world
Gone
The Playboy Mansion
Stay
Zooropa
Dirty Day
Ultraviolet
Last Night on Earth
North and south of the river
Your Blue Room

and last but not the least...

LADY WITH THE SPINNING HEAD :coocoo: :lmao: :rockon: :hyper:

edit: how could I forget? The Fly!! Mirrorball Men!! And the :mac:... :drool:

inmyplace13 said:

And I second the motion.

The era with my favorite songs and top two favorite albums. The era with the two of the best stages ever seen. The era of MacPhisto, Mr The Edge, Poptart Adam, feet on your face, multiple oral sex references, sleeping on stones, getting up off your knees, looking for to save your save your soul, listening to the reed in the saxophone, LEMONS, feeling love for the first time, boobies in the album booklet, untying lace, hanging out with your mammy with surgery in the air, disco ball boomchaing, spinning heads, laughing gas, the gridlock, taking it to the street. I could go on this all day.

To steal from VH1, I Love The 90's.

:bow: :bow: :bow: You are now officially me!

Sorry Zoomer, I stole your line. :wink:

'90s U2 was super cool. No doubt about it. I loved the quote "The hottest band of the '80s became the coolest band of the '90s". But there's more to life than being cool, cool is just a facade. It's an image, it is pure entertainment without a conscience. It is self-serving. But I think that even when U2 were trying to be the coolest band in the world (and it was scripted that way by the band), they did not just "slide on the surface of things". It is unheard of be so cool and so genuine at the same time. Well, maybe The Beatles did it too. The band maintained their deep spirituality, but channelled it through worldliness and some of the coolest sounds of the time period. Mysterious Ways is a Christian rock song, when you realize that the feminine attributes of the Holy Spirit are being described. I'll agree, '90s U2 was unbelievable. There was so much going on in the songs, the interviews, the tours, the alter-egos. And to be the same group of guys who made Boy, October, War, UF, JT, and R&H. It boggles the mind.

I honestly cannot pick my favorite U2 years though. With my 4 fav albums being War, AB, HTDAAB, and JT, you see my dilemna. I'd just have to go with 1980-2005.

Last edited:
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
90's U2 = unbelievably awesome
my favorite albums are Achtung and POP. and i just wish i could have been there for Zoo TV and POP MART. i guess i am also in the minority in thinking pop mart was the most briliant thing ever.
As Well AS The Music;
VIVA LA 40 FOOT MIRROR BALL LEMON
VIVA LA BOOM CHAS
VIVA LA TRABANT
VIVA SENOR FLOOD
VIVA BILL FLANAGAN'S "AT THE END OF THE WORLD"
VIVA MULTIPLE ALTER EGOS AND BELLY DANCING, BONO TEMPTING, EDGE MARRYING LADIES
and oh so much more

:applaud: standing O. for my fav U2 era.

1991-1998, the ZENITH of U2's career.

Three mindblowing albums.

One interesting side project.

Two megatours that have yet to be matched by any artist even a decade+ later (including U2 themselves).

34 of the best U2 songs in their songbook.

Easily the best videos of their career (ZooTV era), save All I Want Is You

No concern for who was on board...the fair weather fans and commercial radio be damned!

Ultraviolet.
Lemon.
Stay.
The Fly.
Dirty Day (Live in Syndey)
Last Night On Earth (Live in Mexico)
Please (Live anywhere)
Gone.

and I'm just getting warmed up!!!!!

2Hearts said:
I'd just have to go with 1980-2005.

poor Street Mission :sad: :wink:

no seriously though, good comment, I agree.

But if we have to get specific, I'm going with the 90s!

Am I biased because I got into U2 in the 90s? HELL YES I AM!! Pop was the album...still is. Pop, Achtung Baby, and Zooropa are my three favourite albums (followed closely by JT and HTDAAB). The 90's albums created their own little world. I love the darkness, the confusion, the experimentation, the hope, the dreams, the reinvention, the attitude, the songs, the videos, the tours, the looks, the feel, the sex, the religion, the atmosphere...

Nothing can ever top 90's U2 in my heart. 3 brilliant albums (as well as an interesting and underrated side project), two of the best and most innovative tours from anyone ever.

:heart: 90's U2 :heart:

No. That's the wrong attitude.

:rockon: 90's U2 :rockon:

90s U2 :rockon:

"If it keeps us interested it's not gonna be bullshit for you" - Bono, Popmart Live From Mexico City :heart:

Zootlesque said:
I agree that the 90s rocked

Does that mean you like "Your Blue Room" ?? I was trying to find it on your top 30 list, but it was not there !! :shrug:
If you like that song, we could really use your help in Heal/Hurt to try to save it from Hawkmoon 269 !! Please :help: !!

MsMofoGone said:

Does that mean you like "Your Blue Room" ?? I was trying to find it on your top 30 list, but it was not there !! :shrug:
If you like that song, we could really use your help in Heal/Hurt to try to save it from Hawkmoon 269 !! Please :help: !!

:lol: Well... I like both so can't vote for only one. Besides that game eats away too much of my time. :crack:

Zootlesque said:

:lol: Well... I like both so can't vote for only one. Besides that game eats away too much of my time. :crack:

I agree ... it was a tough decision to choose from both of those songs, but I think YBR deserves to win !! :up:
That song is just so-ooo :drool: :love: :heart: over Hawkmoon 269 !! :wink:
Hawkmoon can't win !! :no:

Zootlesque said:

Well... I like both so can't vote for only one. Besides that game eats away too much of my time. :crack:

oh my god i am way too obsessed with that game.

and i ALWAYS LOSE. First One lost. Then Do You Feel Loved. Then I go into the new game and people are trying to kill Mofo.

No.

It stops there, bitches.

No more killing Pop.

No more killing 90s U2.

80's U2 has won twice...time for a change. Because, you know what? 90's U2 > 80's U2. That's why I'm in this thread.

90's U2 deserves lots of ponkine smilies.

:rockon: :love: :drool: :hyper: :bow: :wink:

and the obligatory ponkine: :sad:

:rockon: )( :bow: )( :rockon:
Willkommen in den 90ern - Welcome to the nineties
Willkommen am Bahnhof Zoo - Welcome to Zoo Station
Willkommen zu Zoo TV - Welcome to Zoo TV
Achtung, Achtung bitte beachten Sie die Durchsage und schnallen Sie sich an zum wilden Ritt durch den Zoo
Attention, Attention please listen to the announcement and fasten your seat belts for the wild ride through the zoo.
here i give my standing ovation to the most entertaining period in U2s history Zoo TV & POPmart
***** ACHTUNG BABY = best album ever
***** ZOOROPA = so cool!!!
***** POP = the sleeping giant

:bow::rockon::bow::rockon::bow::rockon:

Back
Top Bottom