5 Of My Favorite Tunes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

Excellent Description!!! :bow:

The song is the perfect example of a sing-along mainstream number that's got more genius in it's pinky than ATYCLB and HTDAAB have in the whole album! Same with Mysterious Ways and it's middle 8 too! :drool:

You've a 1,000 other threads on this board to complain about ATYCLB/HTDAAB.

This one has been all about loving songs.

Let's try and keep it that way.:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

:lol: I knew you'd come in and say something!

Hey... I'm just stating the truth about the mainstream sounding Achtung Baby! :p

this thread is brilliant.

thanks for the post brau...im going through all these songs and listening to them one by one as i read the descriptions.

Playboy Mansion This tune is all about being lazy. Lazy in the good way.
The beat and bassline just seem to lag, and it creates a wonderful effect.
Even Edge's lead sound a little distracted, as it just buzzes around this
groove core. Bono's delivery matches as well, you can even hear him lick
his lips at one point. A stoned gosphel tune. With lyrics stolen from the
Bible and the pages of celebrity magazines. Perfect Pop.

Electric Co
I love the intro to this song on Boy, with that guitar burst followed by Larry's kick of the drums that bursts it into another vein of life. A great track and one I'm delighted to have seen live on the Vertigo tour. Great outro too, the way it fades out and crashes back in. And on the Boy and War tours, it sounds fantastic. A great track and one of my favourite U2 tracks.

Two Hearts Beat As One (Club Version)
At least I think that's the right mix. It's either the Club or the US mix, but it's the five-minute mix nonetheless. A great remix of a track I've always had a soft spot for. Adam really was in form with New Year's Day and Two Hearts on the one album. A great bass line is embellished on this remix by a restructuring of the guitar and vocal parts and the addition of piano. Really cool.

Bad
A bit obvious, but I'm voting here for the album version rather than the live version because though I love the live version I've always preferred the album version without the sequencer, leaving the listener basking in the glory of what is probably U2's best drum track, building up the tension and floating the song along over it. Great subject matter too, particularly when you think of what 80s Dublin really was like (hard now living in booming 00s Dublin).

Last Night On Earth
I'm divided over whether I prefer the album or the single version, but either will do. I love the intro on the album, but I love the use of the keyboard/bass intro on the single version. A very powerful chorus in spite of the fact that it was apparently written at the last minute and a great track live. It's got a really great middle-eight too, plus a super outro. Not a bad word to be said!

Please (Album Version)
Sometimes I forget about this song, then stick it on and realise how good it actually is. From the ominous intro through the excellent use of Larry's drumming to echo the marching bands. And it also manages for me to talk about the problems in the North without collapsing into cheesyness and by using a parallel tale of a problematic love affair. Thumbs up also to the excellent and powerful live version and to the artwork for the single version which is fantastic.

Mercy
One for the future I hope. Although the members of this forum have been divided over Mercy, and although there are places when the lyrics let it down slightly, the melody, the mesh of sounds, the length (don't edit it!!), and everything about the track bodes extremely well for the future. This is one to look forward to.

keosulli said:
Electric Co
I love the intro to this song on Boy, with that guitar burst followed by Larry's kick of the drums that bursts it into another vein of life. A great track and one I'm delighted to have seen live on the Vertigo tour. Great outro too, the way it fades out and crashes back in. And on the Boy and War tours, it sounds fantastic. A great track and one of my favourite U2 tracks.

Two Hearts Beat As One (Club Version)
At least I think that's the right mix. It's either the Club or the US mix, but it's the five-minute mix nonetheless. A great remix of a track I've always had a soft spot for. Adam really was in form with New Year's Day and Two Hearts on the one album. A great bass line is embellished on this remix by a restructuring of the guitar and vocal parts and the addition of piano. Really cool.

Bad
A bit obvious, but I'm voting here for the album version rather than the live version because though I love the live version I've always preferred the album version without the sequencer, leaving the listener basking in the glory of what is probably U2's best drum track, building up the tension and floating the song along over it. Great subject matter too, particularly when you think of what 80s Dublin really was like (hard now living in booming 00s Dublin).

Last Night On Earth
I'm divided over whether I prefer the album or the single version, but either will do. I love the intro on the album, but I love the use of the keyboard/bass intro on the single version. A very powerful chorus in spite of the fact that it was apparently written at the last minute and a great track live. It's got a really great middle-eight too, plus a super outro. Not a bad word to be said!

Please (Album Version)
Sometimes I forget about this song, then stick it on and realise how good it actually is. From the ominous intro through the excellent use of Larry's drumming to echo the marching bands. And it also manages for me to talk about the problems in the North without collapsing into cheesyness and by using a parallel tale of a problematic love affair. Thumbs up also to the excellent and powerful live version and to the artwork for the single version which is fantastic.

Mercy
One for the future I hope. Although the members of this forum have been divided over Mercy, and although there are places when the lyrics let it down slightly, the melody, the mesh of sounds, the length (don't edit it!!), and everything about the track bodes extremely well for the future. This is one to look forward to.

:up:

MrBrau1 said:

Just chiming in to lend my support to this statement. No one's trying to play "sweetness and light cop" but it is awfully nice to have this one thread to just share the love. Thanks.

:up:

God Part II
I can't believe this song hasn't been mentioned before! The pioneer of what would become the 90's U2 sound. Starts off with that funky beat and Bono's semi-talking voice. This lasts for a minute, while the listener is wondering wether the whole song is gonna sound like this or not, when BAM. Larrys drum roll then all hell breaks loose for the remainder of the song. The whole band is awesome here, Edge with that awesome guitar riff, Bono with his screaming vocals, Adam with that repetitive, but thundering bassline, and of course Larry with the unrelenting crashing of the drums. About halfway through the song, we get a new funky guitar sound, which would later be used in songs like Lenny Kravitz's "are you gonna go my way." After 3:15 of musical chaos, the song ends with an abrupt "Stop!" If only the album version had the speedy solos the live lovetown versions had.....

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

BTW, you gotta listen to the song LOOOOOUUUUD to get the full effect.

Last edited:
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) I love the intro vocal. Not just Bono, but the background stuff as well.
It sets an instant mood. Then... Bam! Larry. It runs on this chord riff played as only Edge could
play it, but there are these great keyboard flourishes that weave in and out, and an acoustic in there
as well. The interplay between the lead and background vocals makes the tune, I love it. Then we hit
the bridge...giant chords, congas, Bono wailing like a mad man. It all ends with that weird little synth fart:wink:

Yahweh (Alternate Mix) Harder drums and more electric guitars seperate this one from the album mix.
It surprisingly doesn't take away from the joy of the chorus. It still builds on an intricate guitar arpeggio
and drum beat. There's a great background vocal that leads into to chorus, it really gives an ethereal lift.
The chous is a wondeful prayer. I love the lyric and Bono's delivery. Slide guitar bridge, guitar flourishes,
then done. It's a more dignified cousin to "3 Sunrises." Oh Joy!

Back
Top Bottom