3rd leg SUCKS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
flamethrower.gif

ok, anyone who can correctly post here by the end of the day,the 5 names of the u2 songs which go with these lyrics may have my msg tix. Of course I don't really expect anyone to be able to do it within such short notice. I think the average fan might get 3. but if i'm wrong and someone can do it by the end of the day, then so be it... i'll know that it's a true fan.

1) And faith my favorite drug
I'm sick for love

2) Just want to see her face
and this hatred will get us no place

3) I'm not promicing nothing
I'm just living a smile
I can't rearrange it, oh no

4) Daylight, mother stands in the hall
Last night, head against the wall

5) It's time to get out
Get out and see the world
See the world through your eyes

Originally posted by astoria:
i dunno why more people haven't commented on it, but what is u2 thinking with the 3rd leg? They didn't change a single thing. All they have done is drop songs. and what did they add, 1 crappy benefit song in What's going on? Bono, if you read this, i ask you, what's going on? oh, and they've changed the lyrics to New York. Big deal, the song sucks anyways. it's one of the worst songs u2 have ever written. And now it seems to be in the encore. ahhh. obviously done only because of sept 11. well, i'd almost rather hear the band play god bless america than new york. Looking at the past 2 chicago set lists has really disturbed me. the same old show with the same changes.. ie all i want instead of bad... desire instead of angel.. the only new song is i still haven't found. i'm sure everyone at those 2 shows also went to at least 1 of the 4 they played last time around. and they are barely playing for 2 hours. you'd think a band like u2 could play for 2 1/2 at the least. especially with what they are charging. well, i just thought i should vent my frustrations. it seems to me like they are just blowing off the 3rd leg. if this continues, i may just give away my msg ga's. hey u2, what's going on?

I've got one question for you. Were you at any of these shows that you say suck? What's that? No? Well then, you're really in no position to bitch about them. Looking at a setlist and being at the concert are entirely different things. You can't judge the emotional level and passion in the bands playing from a setlist. You can't judge the excitement in the air from what songs they didn't play.

So go ahead and bitch about poor old you not getting what you want from the setlist. Fact is, U2 is putting on some amazing rock shows, but if you're so hung up on how long they play or what they don't play, then what's the point of even going?

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 10-17-2001).]

The hamilton show was the first one Ive been to. I would not have had that oppertunity had they decided not to do a 3rd leg. That being said, would I have changed the setlist a little, sure, maybe I would have... Did it make the show any worse because they didnt change anything? hell no. U2 has the ability to play their songs in an almost unique way whenever they do a song live, am I right? The feeling you get listening to something like New York or Walk on, it would seem to me, would be MUCH different between may (before bono's father died and before the terror attack). Live shows are for the emotion, the energy, that indescribable esscence... Anyone can go on the internet and download a live version of 40, or a live version of bullet, but its just not the same. Same goes with videos... You can watch rattle and hum, think wow this is a pretty good song, and then go to a live show and be totally blown away.

So what... a setlist is a setlist. If you were head of the band, youd stick with your top 5 or 6 songs that you know every U2 fan, be them fanatical fan or just a passive knowledge of U2, you keep the songs they would know. You play songs off the new CD because that goes with the tour, you have to keep those in there, it helps promote your new work (be that promotion needed or not). And that leaves very little room for changing. Sure, you could take out people get ready and angel of harlem out and put it the fly and bad. But then you have to do that for every show of the same leg, if youre unpracticed, and tired both emotionally and physically from events of the recent past, as well as trying to figure out a good way to present the songs, how do you think it will turn out? If it aint broke, dont fix it. Same goes with this, it seems logical to take songs theyve been playing for the whole tour and keep going with them, they know they can do it, they nkow they can do it well, and they dont have to make any sweeping changes. People get into a habit, and then they get used to it, and sometimes if you make a quick change, theyll do the old thing without realising it because thats what theyre so used to doing. I just think, that its smarter at this point for them to just go with what they are and have been.

Honestly, I dont know what reaction you expected from everyone, I have just tried to make points here and not degrade you in any way. Its not idiotic to think like that, as someone pointed out. Im sure we all would like to go to a show tailored to our specific tastes, and see them do things ideally, but it doesnt work that way.

I dont know. Thats about enough out of me, since I have an almost incomprehensable way of confusing the living shit out of everyone LOL... so yeah... carry on...

I think the average fan might get 3. but if i'm wrong and someone can do it by the end of the day, then so be it... i'll know that it's a true fan.

1) And faith my favorite drug
I'm sick for love

2) Just want to see her face
and this hatred will get us no place

3) I'm not promicing nothing
I'm just living a smile
I can't rearrange it, oh no

4) Daylight, mother stands in the hall
Last night, head against the wall

5) It's time to get out
Get out and see the world
See the world through your eyes

you concieted little shit.

god damn you piss me off.

there are people with SERIOUS FUCKING PROBLEMS and you're bitching about the fact that U2 is on stage playing beautiful music but it's not perfect for you? Feck off!

And what the fuck makes a true fan? Having every fucking lyric of every fucking out-take of the salome sessions memorized along with track times?

Knowing every b-side? FOAD for such an audacious comment. You sicken me.

I'm normally pretty reserved on this board, but you really have pissed me off, and I DON'T apologize for anything I've just written.

If someone has the answer to astoria's #5 lyric question, then we can stick it to him/her and get the GA's for free. I have the answers to the first 4.

If someone has it, then let it out!

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Have you seen the show? Have you actually been to one of them? No.

Would I be impressed with the changes based on the setlists posted online? No.

But I have seen the show, and there are so many new nuances. Bullet the Blue Sky is out of this world intense and amazing. THe whole encore just speaks volumes of peace and love and hope and is incredibly relevant due to the recent events. What's Going On? Is beautiful and touching.

Of course you can't be forced to agree with me that the 3rd leg is far and away better than the 1st. But I think it is rather foolish for you to make such sweeping claims without going to a show. A list of songs is not a substitute for an actual show... since you think it is, I suggest you sell your tickets (as many others have done) and enjoy reading setlists from the comfort of your own home.

I think the 3rd Leg (at least Hamilton) has so far been brilliant. They will probably eventually work some new songs into the setlist as well like they did with Kite and Stay. But then again as the old adage goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

ok, anyone who can correctly post here by the end of the day,the 5 names of the u2 songs which go with these lyrics may have my msg tix. Of course I don't really expect anyone to be able to do it within such short notice. I think the average fan might get 3. but if i'm wrong and someone can do it by the end of the day, then so be it... i'll know that it's a true fan.

Careful there... I *can* do this as not only do I have all three "Salome" CDs but the unofficial lyrics.

However, I think that you should go to this concert. While the setlist may not be "perfect" for your taste, I can assure you, with your GA ticket, you will be blown away.

Oh yeah and astoria.. you cleverly created an impossible question. because different versions of the outtakes have different names for the songs. so, they really don't have names at all.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Oh yeah and astoria.. you cleverly created an impossible question. because different versions of the outtakes have different names for the songs. so, they really don't have names at all.

Just as these outtakes have unofficial lyrics, they have unofficial titles (created by fans). Of course, I'd be surprised if he actually honored these unofficial titles as the answer.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Just as these outtakes have unofficial lyrics, they have unofficial titles (created by fans). Of course, I'd be surprised if he actually honored these unofficial titles as the answer.

but who cares anyway right?
far as i see it none of us have anything to prove to him.

How can you say that? The third leg rocks the house, and yes they are playing New York because of September 11, so what? People WANT to hear New York because of Septemeber 11, besides your assertation that New York is one of the worst U2 songs ever is, well an opinion. Also your other main complaint is that all they did was change a few songs. So if you liked the first leg then why wouldn't you liek the third leg? They also changed what they did technically, only sloghtly but it was a nice subtle difference. So the third leg isn't for you, hell give me the tickets I would love to see U2 for a fourth time. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.

It's not impossible the quiz. I have the first 4 done. It's that damn fifth one! It's bothering me.

mad.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Hey -

Well they are all from boots / rarities... although astoria says just your average fan could pick out 3 of the 5, I'd be surprised if your average U2 fan off the road could pick out even one.

Three of the songs are from the Salome outtakes. (1, 2 and 5) Of course, as pointed in the posts above, there's all kinds of names on these... Two of them are not:

#3 - is from Street Mission
#4 - is from Another Day

So, Melon maybe we can smash these together and come up with the two tickets. I guarantee you, astoria, I'd have a swell time listening to U2, no matter what they wanted to play (even though, I'm quite sure, it would be none of these).

If you don't want your tickets, that's fine. There's a jillion people who do. In fact, there are quite a few propaganda subscribers who are getting the unpleasant surprise in their mailboxes today of a returned ticket form and cashier's check (like myself
frown.gif
) You should have no problem passing these off to someone who can appreciate the greatest show on earth.

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Tell me #5!!! It's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!1111111 I really don't even care about the tickets myself. I just want to know where the lyrics to #5 came from! Give me the unofficial name if you'd like, or the track number / disc number of the song on the outtakes. I have the mp3s to the 3 disc set. Grrr...

mad.gif

------------------

And you are wrong about #2. It's a Bono improv of a live song.

Melon

------------------

Thanks melon & follower.
#1 is "Back Mask U2" on my liner notes.

I can't place #5, but I do think it's off Salome, or at least some boot I have. Sorry!

------------------

1) Laughing in the Face of Love/So Cruel (alternate title: Back Mask U2) ("So Cruel" Outtake) (Disc 3, Track 2)

2) All I Want Is You (Live Omagh Tribute)

3) Street Mission

4) Another Day

5) ??????!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Melon

------------------

what i want to know is why everyone is even bothering to reply to this morons stupid quiz? He is obviously doing this just to piss a lot of you off, because you are being tempted with tix, and are faced with an impossible set of questions. even if you do answer correctly, its not like he would ACTUALLY mail you MSG tix... i mean come on! even if the setlist is equivalent to "U2:The worst of 1980-2001" i bet everyone here would want to go anyway! there is no such thing as a "bad" leg of a U2 tour. no matter what songs sung, no matter what tunes played, a U2 concert will ALWAYS be an experience which can relate to no other. It is a unique experience that should never be missed. no matter what they are playing, or if they plan to play any of their own songs at all. as long as the band is together, when they step out on stage, magic will happen. and that is the way it has always been, and always will be.
Take my advice man...
go to the concert.
Im pretty sure that the extra energy and emotion of the third leg will blow you away. and if it doesnt, then there is something wrong with you, and you need to reconsider whether or not you are actually a fan.

------------------
"Thou shalt think of U2 in thy daily prayers. Such is the first tenet of Bonotheism."

Astoria,

I think you and U2 have different assumptions about this tour.
I think you're assuming that U2 have returned to play to the same crowds, people as in the second leg.
I think U2, although not minding if people return for more, are possibly just trying to satisfy a demand to see their shows (I mean if they wanted the same audience going to the same shows, they would have gone to the same cities!!! But they haven't, they're going to places they rarely or never play...South Bend, Hamilton, etc, etc)

So why then is it necessary for U2 to change the setlist if they're hoping to reach out to those who didn't get a chance to see them the first time around?!?

Originally posted by Yecko:
even if you do answer correctly, its not like he would ACTUALLY mail you MSG tix...

I didn't think he would - I just always love good challenege....
smile.gif

------------------

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Astoria,

I think you and U2 have different assumptions about this tour.
I think you're assuming that U2 have returned to play to the same crowds, people as in the second leg.
I think U2, although not minding if people return for more, are possibly just trying to satisfy a demand to see their shows (I mean if they wanted the same audience going to the same shows, they would have gone to the same cities!!! But they haven't, they're going to places they rarely or never play...South Bend, Hamilton, etc, etc)

So why then is it necessary for U2 to change the setlist if they're hoping to reach out to those who didn't get a chance to see them the first time around?!?

My thoughts exactly. Just because some people go to multiple shows doesn't mean the majority of the people at the concert have been to more than one show. For most people it's a one-time thing. They don't know and don't care about how many times a song is played on a tour. They have lives.
smile.gif

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

You know what, it's really a piss off when you sit down and read this bullshit about setlists. First off, it's a 2 hours show so they can't play every song they have ever written. Secondly, there are people at these shows who will not know every song that they have written. I am not talking about the people who just go because it's a big band, I am talking about the people who love the band for some recent material, or love what they have and haven't gone out and bought the 1976 bootlegs and outtake CD's that you have! Also, in all this yapping about setlists, no one has mentioned the most important thing: What does the band want to play!!! In all of this, have you actually sat down and heard the band say, "ya, we wanna play Electric Co. but because we are really lazy, we have decided just not to do anything new and get fat and wealthy!" Maybe the songs they are playing are the songs they love to play the most! And I for one want U2 to be happy on stage, because when they are happy the shows are phenomenal. Rant over, return to your regularly scheduled programming.

------------------
Peace on Earth.

Back
Top Bottom