Yippee-Ki-Yay, Interference - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Has anyone actually watched the trailer for this film? This is going to be one of the most laughing and absurd action films in recent history. Launching a car into a helicopter
Shut up. Shut up you!

You just killed a helicopter with a car!

I was out of bullets.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Bee
So as long as a movie is set in the here and now, everything has to be realistic????

I guess yes. It does. Unless the film provides the context for something to occur otherwise, then yeah. I suppose so.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Then just stick to watching documentaries. You won't find a single movie out there lacking in the "that's completely impossible" category.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #64
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:06 PM
If Star Wars and other fantasy films can create their own rules and whatnot, ridiculous action movies cannot?

Watch Die Hard again, not only is John McClane bleeding profusely from his feet but he gets shot in the back twice, TWICE! and keeps going. Not once did he go into shock from loss of blood, or you know, die.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

edit: To Pla

Aside from that being completely untrue, I'm just done arguing with you. I've tried three times to explain this and you've failed three times to even try to understand what I mean.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
Then just stick to watching documentaries. You won't find a single movie out there lacking in the "that's completely impossible" category.
Now that's just not true.

There are very few films that don't have 'that's a bit unrealistic' moments, but there are plenty that are devoid of any 'that's completely impossible' moments.

While I haven't judged DH4 yet as Lance seemingly has, I do understand and more or less agree with what he's saying.

I think a good example of a less 'impossible' action film would be either of the Bourne films. Especially the first one. The man is a trained killer, so beating the shit out of people is second nature to him. It's like breathing for him. Because of this, none of the scenes in which he completely kicks four guys' asses at the same have the 'that's impossible' factor. There's car chases, fist fights and more, and some of it isn't totally realistic, but none of it is totally impossible.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
If Star Wars and other fantasy films can create their own rules and whatnot, ridiculous action movies cannot?

Watch Die Hard again, not only is John McClane bleeding profusely from his feet but he gets shot in the back twice, TWICE! and keeps going. Not once did he go into shock from loss of blood, or you know, die.
Like I elaborated upon earlier, there's no problem with films bending the rules, as long as it doesn't pass the point where the audience is distracted from the film. Yeah, in all likelihood, John probably would have been more fucked up by the end of the movie, but he was still in fairly shity condition too, shitty enough that the audience still believes he got a good beating without being Superman or anything. But that aspect of Die Hard does come close to the "Woah, that's completely fucking ridiculous" line, but I don't think it crosses it.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #68
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I see what you're saying, and you do bring up good points, but all of what you're saying applies to you and your taste. Most people see movies as a form of escapism anyway, so when a car pulverizes a helicopter, it's a breath of fresh air. Of course that cannot possibly happen in normal life, but if it did, who the hell would be watching it as a movie?

It's hard to pass judgement on a movie that has not come out yet either, so wait and see it (well, you kinda have to ), not judge it based on the trailer like I said before, and take it as it is: a ridiculous, summer action flick.

Edit: Terminator 2 is also about a cyborg sent by the leader of a human resistance to save himself from another cyborg who can change his form into other people. You need a certain disbelief to enjoy that movie, but I do agree it's one of the best action movies ever.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

While I don't exactly see how a car pulverizing a helicopter is "a breath of fresh air", I do understand what you're saying. Yes, it is just a ridiculous summer action flick. And that's exactly what I hate about it.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:36 AM   #70
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh well, agree to disagree.

But the line after the car/helicopter thing is fucking badass:

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
You just killed a helicopter with a car!

I was out of bullets.
Then again, I'm the same kid who thinks Chuck Norris and Jack Bauer are the two biggest badasses ever, so I have certain perspective of awesome coming into this argument.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

See now I think that's incredibly lame, but it's trying to make a cool joke about one of the most craptastic action scenes of the year so of course I don't like it. But where you hear badass, I hear not-quite-so-clever remark from an actor making playing a charicature of a character that used to be entertaining just so he can collect his massive paycheck.

And don't get me started on Jack Bauer. 24 is one of my least favorite things to happen to television since American Idol.

And you just like Chuck Norris because it's the "cool" thing to like on the internet, and you know it.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
And don't get me started on Jack Bauer. 24 is one of my least favorite things to happen to television since American Idol.
What's wrong with 24? I mean, granted, this past season was shit, and overall, the premise of the show is stale, but the first three years were top-notch.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 AM   #73
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Look at Bruce Willis' filmography, he's done enough movies just for the paycheck already.

But see, it's all a matter of opinion. To me, Jack Bauer biting a terrorist goon in the neck like a vampire is fucking badass. What do you consider badass?

I watch Walker, Texas Ranger regularly on the Hallmark Channel thank you very much.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
What's wrong with 24? I mean, granted, this past season was shit, and overall, the premise of the show is stale, but the first three years were top-notch.
Because it's not realistic
Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #75
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

It's not realistic but I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party. I like my Jesus to party.