Yap, Federated States of Micronesia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is that noise at the very start of WGRYWH anyway? I don't know, but I love it. It reminds me of my first time listening to this album.

I went fucking nuts in Auckland when I knew it was coming.

It was at it's best on Vertigo, I'd say.

It was quality on Vertigo, but I think its best performances were on ZooTV. Especially since the segue into WGRYWH or NYD was at its most seamless then.

I was fucking MINDBLOWN when they did UTEOTW --> WGRYWH in Boston. Oh god. Especially since it was the first time WGRYWH had been done in nearly 13 years. As UTEOTW was coming to a close, I was thinking "what's next? Not NYD. Bet it's WGRYWH. HOLY FUCK IT'S WGRYWH!!!" I don't even know why I guessed WGRYWH before it actually happened, since I hadn't heard it soundchecked (though it was). Setlistorian intuition?

by foreverafternoon on 05-13-2002 @ 01:27:21 PM
This song is on the surface about sexual jealousy. However, Larry made the comment once it is about a clandestine affair one band member had with a fan that turned potentially risky.

So terrible am I at ranking songs, that I can't do it. All I know is that I hate One with so much passion that I think it's even worse than TTYAATW and So Cruel.

So Cruel has the better lyrics, so that's why I rank it above One. As for it and TTTYAATW ... depends on my mood. TTTYAATW is just a lazy b-side that shouldn't be on the album. One is overblown crap.

It was quality on Vertigo, but I think its best performances were on ZooTV. Especially since the segue into WGRYWH or NYD was at its most seamless then.

I was fucking MINDBLOWN when they did UTEOTW --> WGRYWH in Boston. Oh god. Especially since it was the first time WGRYWH had been done in nearly 13 years. As UTEOTW was coming to a close, I was thinking "what's next? Not NYD. Bet it's WGRYWH. HOLY FUCK IT'S WGRYWH!!!" I don't even know why I guessed WGRYWH before it actually happened, since I hadn't heard it soundchecked (though it was). Setlistorian intuition?

Haha that is awesome. Good call. Honestly, I think it's likely that you were the ONLY person in that audience who guessed what song would come next.

:up:

The segue was best on Zoo TV and Popmart (don't get me started on Popmart NYD, holy fucking shit :heart:), but I thought the performances were more raw and rocking on Vertigo.

Ahhhh
The deeper I spin
Ahhhh
The hunter will sin for your ivory skin

Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under a trees, a river laughing at you and me
Hallelujah, heaven's white rows
The doors you open, I just can't close

Don't turn around
Don't turn around again
Don't turn around, you gypsy heart
Don't turn around
Don't turn around again
Don't turn around
And don't look back
Come on now love!
Don't you LOOK back!

Ahhhh So Cruel...some of the best lyrics Bono has ever written. How come he forgot how to write like this???

This is where I get angry with the production bashing, I don't care how badly you guys might think SoCruel sounds (Though I've never heard any of it) I don't see why that should take away from the fact that the song is f'ing brilliant lyric

Haha that is awesome. Good call. Honestly, I think it's likely that you were the ONLY person in that audience who guessed what song would come next.

:up:

... I was also the idiot telling anybody who cared to listen how long it had been since the song was last played ... :nerd:

This is where I get angry with the production bashing, I don't care how badly you guys might think SoCruel sounds (Though I've never heard any of it) I don't see why that should take away from the fact that the song is f'ing brilliant lyric

It sounds like one of those dodgy MP3s you'd download from some loser on Kazaa in 2002. I actually ripped the song twice because I thought I'd fucked up the rip, but then I played my CD through my stereo and realised it's actually the production.

And lyrics aren't good enough if the song's musically plodding and dull. And Bono's "aaaaooooo love" bits sound horrible to my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom