XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
The ladies just finished skating their short program. I won't mention any particulars as I normally don't play spoiler.

Seeing as how this has aired now, I don't think I'm spoiling it for anyone.

I don't normally watch figure skating, but I caught Sasha Cohen late last night, and I must say, she performed very well. If she has no major falls tomorrow, she just might win.

Wow, a Canadian won the cross-country sprint gold and it wasn't Beckie Scott, the finished fourth. Chandra Crawford, wins Canada's fourth gold medal of the games.

Austrian ski officials admit two of their athletes were using illegal methods. Anyone else following this story, Italian police and the IOC raided the Austrian men ski team a few nights ago and confiscated some stuff. Full details have not be released yet but they were looking for an Austrian coach who was banned from the Olympics for 10 years after finding blood transfusion equipment in SLC in 2002. It's a crazy story, the coach, Walter Mayer, was arrested in Austria after fleeing the country and went through a police roadblock. The IOC tested all the athletes that night, and the team finished last in their event held the next day. Results of the tests have not been released yet. Interesting story.

Shannon Kleibrink looks like toast in the semi-finals, down 7-5 in the tenth end without last rock. Well, at least she made the playoffs and still has an opportunity to win the bronze.

Last edited:
phanan said:

Seeing as how this has aired now, I don't think I'm spoiling it for anyone.

I don't normally watch figure skating, but I caught Sasha Cohen late last night, and I must say, she performed very well. If she has no major falls tomorrow, she just might win.

If she doesn't make any mistakes she might win, however, Irina might have an advantage if she lands a triple-triple combination and Sasha doesn't. I don't know if Sasha has a triple-triple combo in her arsenal but those are huge points getters under the Code of Points scoring system.

I heard that Sasha Cohen can leg bench press 400lbs!!! Umm she is in total the size of my leg!! :huh:

Holy crap!!

verte76 said:

If she doesn't make any mistakes she might win, however, Irina might have an advantage if she lands a triple-triple combination and Sasha doesn't. I don't know if Sasha has a triple-triple combo in her arsenal but those are huge points getters under the Code of Points scoring system.

That is true. And Slutskya had a clean short program last night, too, although she seemed to be a bit cautious to me.

Should be interesting who does better in the long program.

Okay, so the Swedes lose 3-0 against Slovakia yesterday and now are now trouncing the Swiss 5-1....pre-determined after all? It sure looks like it...

Not sure who I want to win between the Fins and the U.S. - should be interesting!

Go Canada!

Slovakia is one of the best teams in the tournament this year. They are playing phenomenal hockey, the Swiss were overachieving and are now out of the medals.

The Finns should beat the US but you never know, the US hasn't played well but can still explode for a goal, depends on Nittimaki in net for Finns.

Canada has a decent chance against Russians since I don't think their defence or goaltending is as strong as other teams but they have a scary offense.

Women's 1500m speedskating - Cindy Klassen gets her gold, 1st Canadian athlete ever to win 4 medals at any Olympic games, and Kristina Groves of Canada gets the silver. Great day for the women on the ice. Fantastic!!!!!!!:applaud:

Finland are currantly leading the USA by 4 to 2!!! Woohoo!!! Let's hope your prediction holds. Gooo Finland!!!
BTW the Finlands goalie name's spelt NIITTYMÄKI. Which losely translated means Meadowhill!!!!:wink:

Yeah, I wouldn`t mind the Fins beating the Americans because I have a soft spot for Saku Koivu and Lord knows he`s not going to win anything with the Habs this year!

On the other hand, a match-up between the U.S. and Canada would be interesting indeed!

Go Canada! Hope they beat the Russians and go on to play the Fins - that'll be a good game as Finland is a mechanical, precision hockey machine.

Well, except for Koivu drawing penalties like I draw inanimate objects - that is to say often and sloppily.

:heart: for Canada and :heart: for Saku.

Woohoo, another silver for Canada, in short track team relay!! What a great day for Canada today, 2 golds, 2 silvers, awesome!!

Gushue is leading in his curling match as of right now, 6-3 in the 8th. Finally showing up to play the A game, hopefully they can steal an point.

Finland is definitely the team to beat in the tournament this year along with the Slovaks. If Canada wins, we will face the Finns. Big if at the moment. It's all on Brodeur's shoulders.

The Italians better stake out the US men's hockey dorm, just to make sure they don't trash the place again, well, maybe not, they didn't seem to care to much this time. Almost like Canada's team. What an upset if both the silver and gold medal teams from SLC don't make the medal round.

Last edited:
6-5 Canada in the 9th end, hopefully Gushue can blank the end or score two, one is ok but if leaves the US with a chance.

I never thought I would say this about a Team Canada game but the longer it goes scoreless, the better it is for Canada. How low have we sunk? Although, Canada seems to have found it's legs this period.

Wow - great day for Canada so far!

Hopefully men's hockey will have a positive outcome as well.

I'm definitely looking forward to watching all of the day's events when I get home from work! GO CANADA!! :dancing:

Gushue just scored 5 in the 9th, Canada is going to the gold medal game in curling, outstanding!!

I never thought they could make it based on earlier play this week, but I'm glad I was wrong.

The American 3rd shot horribly today at only 63% while his Canadian counterpart shot 94%, there's the difference in the game.

Jeezus, I'm sitting here screaming at the bloody puck to go in the net on this powerplay for Canada!!!!:crazy:

Scoreless after 2, c'mon boys, you can do it!!

Czech Republic leading Slovaks 1-0, the Czechs haven't played up to expectations either but are still a dangerous team, the Slovaks inexperience of being the favoured team may hurt them.

Vancouver Canucks fans may have lost 2 defensemen, Ohlund may have broken ribs and Salo may have a separated shoulder.

ETA 1-0 Russia, poor clearing play by Pronger giving power play goal to Ovechkin from Kozlov:madspit:

Still 1-0, less than 4 minutes to go, Russia has spent the last 5 minutes peppering Brodeur.

ETA Canadian powerplay coming up, Canada 0-7 on PP so far

Nabakov just poked check a player while lying on his stomach to stop him from scoring on a open net during a huge skirmish in front of the net.

Less than a minute to go in the game.:crazy:

Last edited:
We're toast, wow, what an upset, both Canada and US out of medal round. :ohmy:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Sasha pulled off an amazing performance last night. You could tell by the look in her eyes she was there to win. I like the Russian chick too.

the only 2 performances I actually caught were Sasha Cohen's and Emily Hughes, although I did catch a couple of other athletes who fell during their short program - had too much going on last night to watch consistently. But I thought Hughes did great for her first Olympics, but Cohen's performance was awesome. I may have to look for Slutskaya's performance online to compare...

:hug: for thora & other canadians :hug:

Let the finger pointing begin. I'll start,:wink:

Team Canada may have new architects next Olympics, Gretzky, and co might step aside.

They chose almost the exact same group from the last Olympics, same coaches, same players,etc. They needed some freshness in their picks. A Spezza, a Crosby, a different coach than Pat Quinn who is coaching a mediocre team this year, anything to give the team some new energy and excitement about playing at the Olympics. They looked old and tired on the ice at times and the veterans didn't play well. They were shutout 3 times, and there are no excuses about not playing together as a team, teams like Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic were all in the same boat. The players are all-star caliber and should have been able to use their hockey sense. Lack of discipline was a factor in this series.

It wasn't the big ice, the lockout, officiating, Team Canada was simply outplayed and outclassed at the Olympics this year.

ETA it's not the end of the world, Canada will bounce back, granted it's the biggest ice hockey tournament in the world and we embarrassed ourselves as a hockey nation but we will be back with a vengeance and a new hunger

Sometimes you need to be humbled just so you don't take things for granted

Team Canada will win gold in Vancouver in 2010, you can count on that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom