Word or Phrase that Just Kills You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Knowwhutimean?" (Spoken at the end of every point, as one word. :mad: )

"Like..." (Mr. Blu nearly had to restrain me physically in deli at Penn Station a week ago to keep me from throttling this 20-something guy (!) who said it literally every other word!!! :banghead: )

"Whazzup" :eyebrow: Tolerable in a beer commercial, but not with every homeslice & his posse saying it 24/7. :mad:

And finally, even though I'm Southern born and bred, if you and I are strangers - i.e., never seen each other before in our lives - DO NOT call me 'Honey', 'Sweetie', 'Darlin'', etc. :madwife:
'Miss', 'Ma'am', or even 'Hey, you!' will do just fine until we're better accquainted - then you can start with the sweet talk. :up:

BluRmGrl said:
[B
And finally, even though I'm Southern born and bred, if you and I are strangers - i.e., never seen each other before in our lives - DO NOT call me 'Honey', 'Sweetie', 'Darlin'', etc. :madwife:
'Miss', 'Ma'am', or even 'Hey, you!' will do just fine until we're better accquainted - then you can start with the sweet talk. :up: [/B]

I cannot stand when someone calls me "Hun" or "Sweetie" when I encounter them like that :tsk: Darlin' doesn't bother me since my last name is Darling :wink:

BonosBaby12 said:

I cannot stand when someone calls me "Hun" or "Sweetie" when I encounter them like that :tsk: Darlin' doesn't bother me since my last name is Darling :wink:
:lol: Good point - if my name was Darling, I don't guess it would be such a problem, huh? :up:

And it's not that I mind people being polite or kind to me - I actually try to encourage that type of behaviour - I just really don't like perfect strangers to call me what I think are terms of endearment.

:hmm: I must come across as quite the frosty-shouldered bitch to some people. :ohmy: :giggle:

I thought this was going to be words/phrases we liked, not ones we hated.

Oh well, I'll pretend it's the former.

"Poo", "Poop" or "Boob" will get an immature giggle or two from me in the right context.

My favorite Britishism: "Popped her clogs". I.e., "So Anna Nicole Smith popped her clogs today."

:lol:

'whatever trevor' 'damnit janet' and 'geez louise' - they get me every time!

i hate the way people say we had a "smashing" time...

i have family from England that use it all the time it drives me insane

Like we smashed yer windy in but uhh like it was an accident, but it was like really that wee man down the road he ran off, like he ain't well hard like I am, I'm a smick, my ma needs to wash my bright white hoody like, up the hoods..........

Anything at all like that I find hilarious coming from someone's mouth though depending on my mood I may wish to hurt them, which is the more usual case.

BluRmGrl said:

:lol: Good point - if my name was Darling, I don't guess it would be such a problem, huh? :up:

And it's not that I mind people being polite or kind to me - I actually try to encourage that type of behaviour - I just really don't like perfect strangers to call me what I think are terms of endearment.

:hmm: I must come across as quite the frosty-shouldered bitch to some people. :ohmy: :giggle:

:lol: certainly would make things a lot easier!

Oh and I don't think you are coming across as a bitch or anything with that. For me it's just the comfort level because I don't know them from Adam or Eve. It's like you appreciate their politeness but really wish they would find another way to address you. Just seems too personal in a situation like that.

LJT said:
Like we smashed yer windy in but uhh like it was an accident, but it was like really that wee man down the road he ran off, like he ain't well hard like I am, I'm a smick, my ma needs to wash my bright white hoody like, up the hoods..........

You're a geg.

Ah gee, yer Ma. Tarrls. Tescoes. I'll smash your coupin in. Yousins.

West Belfast :drool:

My students AND colleagues say "PS" and "FYI" all the time, which annoys the mess outta me. Though I'm just as guilty, because I say "OMG" or "WTF" Also I'm glad society has evolved beyond the stupid spelling of "phr33k." I don't know why but that just bothered me.

Words/Phrases that I love and abuse:
Psyche!
Con-dams (haha, I have my students saying it all the time)
Sausage-fest
Holler
Side note
wanker
tosser
Jainey Mac (I don't know how to spell it)

Lara Mullen said:

You're a geg.

Ah gee, yer Ma. Tarrls. Tescoes. I'll smash your coupin in. Yousins.

West Belfast :drool:

Watch yerself wee girl or you'll get a slap across the bap:madwife:

I suggest you shut your bake, do you think I came up the Lagan in a bubble:mad: :D

I remember sayin that to someone in England, they thought I was being perverted:wink:

Haha.

You here some quare phrases on Cool FM. What does my box in is "to be fair like...". Pete Snodden really abuses it. Also the way he says Nick-la for Nicola and the news man who always tells us we'll hear more about those headlines at the top of the hour.

Back
Top Bottom