woo! i got to go to the concert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
i got to go to the john mayer concert last night. since i'd never heard it advertised on the radio, i didn't know that it was a double billing: guster also played. their opening act was a lovely band from oz called the john butler trio.

the groovy part is how we managed to get the tickets. we kept calling the place (of course, ticketmaster was no help and said we had to deal directly with the venue on the day of the event, after they told us to call ticketmaster.) and made nice with one of the girls there who managed to convince one of the girls at the ticket booth to hold two tickets for us. and awesomely enough, we also managed to get in at the 12th row!

we walked around the place for a while cuz we got there so early (for you memphians, it was at mud island amphitheatre). for anyone who's never been there, there's a 1/2 mile scale of the mississippi river. it shows all the depths and everything of the river, and it's filled with water so it looks really neat! we grabbed a bite to eat at a restaurant there, bought some shirts from the concert, and got in line. we had a perfect view of the arkansas bridge, and we found out there was a guy on one of the colums under the bridge itself threatening to jump. we had a perfect view from where we were. apparently, he had escaped from prison that day, stole a county cop car, and then drove over to the bridge. towards the end of the concert, he surrendered.

of course, i knew john mayer (he came on last) would put on a good show, but i was surprised as to how good the john butler trio were. they put on an amazing show. i'd never heard of them, but i think some guys in the front row had. throughout the whole show, they kept turning around and begging us to stand up, clap, etc. then came the KFC dancers. that's about all i can say, other than that yes, they're called that because they come out with KFC buckets on their heads. their drummer was especially awesome.

the same goes for guster. for 80% of their set, the drummer played bongos. i was surprised so many people had heard of guster, since i've only heard one of their songs on the radio, and that was a couple years ago.

i felt kinda out of place when john mayer came on. i must've been the only person who didn't have the cd (but i bought it at the concert, only $15!). so anyway, it was an all around groovy concert. the weather was wonderful, the concert was a total sell-out, and the venue was pretty, it was like a scaled down red rocks. (i think mud island only fills 5,000) and the tickets were only $30, so we all got our money's worth! :D

Back
Top Bottom