Why is there no thread about this new REM release?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a good, solid show, but too heavy on Around the Sun tracks.

But, considering it was taped on their last tour, which was to promote that album, it's not a surprise.

I think it's worth picking up.

:shh: careful, this'll turn into another endless thread discussing the overlooked merits (or lack thereof) of those two albums! :wink:

Reveal is my least favorite REM album, save for two songs I love (The Lifting and Imitation of Life). I think Around the Sun suffers a little bit from being on the dull side, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people would have you think.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I will soon. It looks interesting though.

I don't mind that it's heavy on the Reveal/Around The Sun tracks, since those are two of my favorite REM albums. :wink:

The Around The Sun tracks that are on here really sound a lot better live than they did on the album, especially Boy In The Well

corianderstem said:
Reveal is my least favorite REM album, save for two songs I love (The Lifting and Imitation of Life). I think Around the Sun suffers a little bit from being on the dull side, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people would have you think.

I do have Imitation Of Life (or what I like to call R.E.M.'s response to Beautiful Day :wink: ), Lifting, She Just Wants To Be, Disappear, I'll Take The Rain and Leaving New York in my itunes.

U2inUtah said:
The Around The Sun tracks that are on here really sound a lot better live than they did on the album, especially Boy In The Well

Definitely. :up:

I didn't care for Around the Sun until I saw REM live a few months after it came out. Then I had a better appreciation for it.

I listened to a few tracks from it. It's competent and pretty enjoyable, but not really essential or anything. :shrug:

Why such a short second disc?

It's interesting, I've seen 2 reviews and both complain about the DVD, the way they describe it sounds like the same bitches most fans have about Hamish...

Zootlesque said:
I don't even have Reveal or Around The Sun yet. I feel so behind. :reject:

God I wish I could take your place, never having subjected myself to such mediocrity.

Who cares about this album? There are recent bootlegs that feature new songs along with this stuff that's refreshing and promising.

Plus, R.E.M.'s never been known as a phenomenal live band anyway. I don't know if this is essential.

according to Stipe the new album will be released in April
(interview on BBC radio)
I'll pick up this live album at some point :up:

Aygo said:
This album is a way to make more money with the Around The Sun songs that was a commercial faillure.

Could be.. I also wonder how much influence the low sales of Around The Sun has to do with R.E.M. going back to a more rock oriented sound with the new songs they performed in Dublin.
(Not that I mind at all, in fact I'm very excited for the new release)

I would guess that money talks even with artistic direction

I don't know that REM is all that concerned with their sales.

Ha ha ... yeah, okay, enough to release a live CD/DVD (although they've never released a live CD before, and a lot of big name bands do so). But still, I don't think they're concerned about "oh shit, our last two records hardly sold, we'd better get back to the rock."

corianderstem said:
I don't know that REM is all that concerned with their sales.

Ha ha ... yeah, okay, enough to release a live CD/DVD (although they've never released a live CD before, and a lot of big name bands do so). But still, I don't think they're concerned about "oh shit, our last two records hardly sold, we'd better get back to the rock."

They're like the opposite of U2. Amazing how 2 of my fav bands from the 90s are now at the opposite ends of the money making spectrum.

Aygo said:
^ R.E.M. may not be concerned, but I think the label is...

I can't speak to Warner Brothers these days, but when REM switched from IRS to WB, one of the reasons they cited was that WB was known as an "artists" label, housing some artists that didn't sell a lot, but were critical darlings (Brian Wilson was one of those artists, I think).

corianderstem said:

I can't speak to Warner Brothers these days, but when REM switched from IRS to WB, one of the reasons they cited was that WB was known as an "artists" label, housing some artists that didn't sell a lot, but were critical darlings (Brian Wilson was one of those artists, I think).

Flaming Lips too.

Zootlesque said:

They're like the opposite of U2. Amazing how 2 of my fav bands from the 90s are now at the opposite ends of the money making spectrum.

Um, yeah let's not forget they rereleased 6 of their albums in 2005 with just a few bonus materials.

U2 is rereleasing one album (which needed remastering) with a ton of bonus material and have already been attacked for "just an excuse to make money".

They also have more compilations than U2...

If REM had an Interference they would be attacked more than U2...

Just a little perspective.

corianderstem said:

Well, I don't know that very well. It's known that WB is not in its best days, and it's getting trouble with a lot of artists from the label.
Now, the trouble will be even bigger, since their biggest name, switched WB for an events producer.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um, yeah let's not forget they rereleased 6 of their albums in 2005 with just a few bonus materials.

U2 is rereleasing one album (which needed remastering) with a ton of bonus material and have already been attacked for "just an excuse to make money".

They also have more compilations than U2...

If REM had an Interference they would be attacked more than U2...

Just a little perspective.

Let's also not forget REM were never as interested in being "big" as U2.

Aygo said:
Now, the trouble will be even bigger, since their biggest name, switched WB for an events producer.

I forgot Madonna was on WB as well. But yeah, that announcement was really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom