Why I Believe X & Y Is Receiving Mixed Reactions: - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Coldplay´s new album blow HTDAAB on the water ( I´m waiting for countless replies saying I´m crazy or whatever ). But talking about Coldplay, this album is as HTDAAB, I mean, nice melodies, nice production... just a bunch of songs... another album... NOTHING NEW . I don´t know what the hell is going on with the bands that nobody´s dare to try something brand new, something that will define new bounderies, etc. The last 100% breaking new album I listened was Radiohead´s Kid A ( and Amnesiac as well, recorded at the same time ) .

Ever since, every band have released more or less safe records, yes, including Radiohead´s Hail To The Thief, despite is 100% less safe than any U2 2000 release or this new album X & Y .

Despite is more electronic than AROBTTH, sadly the Coldplay´s now trademark sound is present: very "Edge" guitars ( just listen to White Shadows ), atmospheric keyboards, epic production, piano based melodies, reverb, melow mid tempo songs, etc, etc.

Now the goods: IMO, this album presents moments of truly outstanding songwriting. Songs like Square One, What If, White Shadows, X & Y, A Message, Low, The Hardest Part, are infinite times better than any U2 2000 corporate hit and miss crap like Beautiful Day, Elevation, All Because Of You or Vertigo, and I´m not kidding. Even the hidden track is a great song.

The lowest tracks IMO are Fix You, Talk, Speed Of Sound ( yes, I don´t like that song and it doesn´t show nothing interesting ) and Swallowed In The Sea.

Overall: IMO this album is 8/10, because it contains great songwriting and awesome moments of shining...but... it could have been more risky and different . Damn, some songs have an awesome potential I didn´t find on U2 songs since POP. Unlike HTDAAB, I´ll buy this album.

Peace

Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by one4u2

It's totally different then HTDAAB it would be like comparing apples and oranges!
Maybe so but X&Y is still a better album

Old 06-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #48
The Fly

Local Time: 08:34 AM
I like bands that write songs. I'm glad Coldplay is still writing songs unlike Radiohead, who lost it after an amazing album called OK Computer. Blips, sound effects and overall unintelligible tracks that the band apparantly thinks are songs is just a waste of talent. Pop is a good record. Zooropa is AMAZING. X&Y is a very good record. Can't wait to see what U2 does next. And comparing X&Y to HTDAAB really doesn't make sense. I'll see when/if Coldplay makes an album in 20 years to make that comparison. Same with the critic-proof Radiohead.

Sorry, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yimou

Maybe so but X&Y is still a better album
your opinion- It's good but it's more of an alternative type of an album
Old 06-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
Coldplay´s new album blow HTDAAB on the water ( I´m waiting for countless replies saying I´m crazy or whatever ). But talking about Coldplay, this album is as HTDAAB, I mean, nice melodies, nice production... just a bunch of songs... another album... NOTHING NEW . I don´t know what the hell is going on with the bands that nobody´s dare to try something brand new, something that will define new bounderies, etc. The last 100% breaking new album I listened was Radiohead´s Kid A ( and Amnesiac as well, recorded at the same time ) .

Ever since, every band have released more or less safe records, yes, including Radiohead´s Hail To The Thief, despite is 100% less safe than any U2 2000 release or this new album X & Y .

Despite is more electronic than AROBTTH, sadly the Coldplay´s now trademark sound is present: very "Edge" guitars ( just listen to White Shadows ), atmospheric keyboards, epic production, piano based melodies, reverb, melow mid tempo songs, etc, etc.

Now the goods: IMO, this album presents moments of truly outstanding songwriting. Songs like Square One, What If, White Shadows, X & Y, A Message, Low, The Hardest Part, are infinite times better than any U2 2000 corporate hit and miss crap like Beautiful Day, Elevation, All Because Of You or Vertigo, and I´m not kidding. Even the hidden track is a great song.

The lowest tracks IMO are Fix You, Talk, Speed Of Sound ( yes, I don´t like that song and it doesn´t show nothing interesting ) and Swallowed In The Sea.

Overall: IMO this album is 8/10, because it contains great songwriting and awesome moments of shining...but... it could have been more risky and different . Damn, some songs have an awesome potential I didn´t find on U2 songs since POP. Unlike HTDAAB, I´ll buy this album.

Peace
i like this post.

truth is, coldplay make nice songs. nice, lovely pop songs. but they're ALL NICE LOVELY POP SONGS.

they have nothing dirty.

they have no iron lung, national anthem, 2+2=5, and certainly no idioteque or paranoid android.

'the scientist' is a great graduation song, i'll give them that. i was at a high school grad last year, and they used that song as a the track for the year in review for the graduating class. twas cool.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

"Corporate rock" is probably what U2 and Coldplay should be classified as. U2 abdicated "anthem rock" after the 1980s and "electronic pop rock" after the 1990s.

Anyway, we're all about 1980s revivals, and corporate rock was a hallmark, if mostly forgotten, musical genre of the decade. Think "Starship" ("We Built This City").

I'm listening to "X & Y," while I'm writing this.

Melon
Old 06-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Sunday night on MTV they are having a Coldplay live "leak " performance and a Storytellers next Wednesday-
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:

It's totally different then HTDAAB it would be like comparing apples and oranges!
I hate these responses - to anything. You can compare anything. You can can compare The Godfather to Tommy Boy if you want (BTW, The Godfather is better ). The apples and oranges argument always seems like an easy way out.

And X&Y is better.

Oh, and apples are better!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

I hate these responses - to anything. . The apples and oranges argument always seems like an easy way out.

Well then, will you comprehend a more complex analogy? Or more simple like comparing heavy metal to country music An easy way out? too bad. I certainly wasn't causing an uproar just a quick opinion that I didn't feel needed a 10 line paragraph explanation

oh and by the way- I like X & Y but HTDAAB is better
Old 06-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:

Well then, will you comprehend a more complex analogy? Or more simple like comparing heavy metal to country music An easy way out? too bad. I certainly wasn't causing an uproar just a quick opinion that I didn't feel needed a 10 line paragraph explanation
Give me a complex analogy then.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Give me a complex analogy then.
- Have a good night
Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #57
Refugee

Quote:

- Have a good night
You too!

I am just excited about the Coldplay album. I wasn't expecting much based on Speed of Sound, which I like but sounds like Clocks II. Luckily the rest of the album is very ambitious and does not sound like a retread. Although they clearly kidnapped Edge for White Shadows.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by riteshbhatt1
Blips, sound effects and overall unintelligible tracks that the band apparantly thinks are songs is just a waste of talent. |
your idea of a "song" is skewed
Old 06-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

thank you, basstrap.

people also think mofo and miami are "too far out there". they've got "all those bells and whistles"...it's quite complicated, isn't it?

cause i mean, if a song doesn't have an obvious and predictable structure, it's a "waste of talent".

and melon you hit it on the head. u2 and coldplay are both bands that could be referred to as corporate rock...i have a feeling bono couldn't be more proud either.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #60
War Child

Local Time: 12:34 AM
U2 is not corporate rock.

Journey is corporate rock.

U2 is a band that made music their own way, that just happened to be loved by millions of people. Just because Bono and the boys have admitted that they've wanted to be the beest band in the world does not make them 'corporate rock.'

-Miggy

Tags
coldplay