why do people rate the beatles so highly? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #31
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 09:58 PM
The Beatles are historic in the Rock and Roll chapter of music. They were at the beginning of many changes in their generation's musical and fashion trends.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:58 PM
The Beatles are cool.

U2 are cool.

Both bands have proven that they deserve to be in these sorts of lists.

That's all I have to say.

Angela

Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
U2's "emotion" isn't the only emotion there is. It's actually usually a bit distant, since Bono tends to write from a perspective or as a third party (unless he really is a heroin addict), kind of like, oh, I dunno, McCartney. Lennon got a bit emotional too, although he was much more direct.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that people look for different things in music? You honestly can't even imagine how someone could prefer Sgt. Pepper's... to The Joshua Tree? There must be an "agenda"? Do Bono's effusive vocals impress you that much?

What does "relevance" have to do with good music anyway? It's a cop-out term used by people who don't want to just come out and say, "I like this band more, and therefore, everyone should like this band more." You should write for Rolling Stone.

And yes, these are just dumb lists that pick a bunch of "safe" old bands. But that doesn't necessarily mean the bands don't deserve it. The backlash is stupid.

Music fans are the worst thing about music.
First of all I think it's pretty clear that I am able to comprehend someone likeing Sgt. Pepper's better than JT or AB. In fact I stated that I think it's ridiculous but it is of course only my opinion. And being relevant has everythig to do with being listed as one of the greatest rock bands ever. If a band had no relevance what soever they would never be considered by anyone for such a list. It's not a cop out term used by people who think everyone should like this band more than this band. It's a common sense term. If a band had never been relevant at one point or another nobody would care about them meaning nobody would include them on such a list. I figured that was pretty damn obvious. How about you post what you think without the condescending remarks and "subtle" insults. It makes you look like an ass. Also passing your opinions off as if they were fact makes you look even more ridiculous. Like you said "Music fans are the worst thing about music.".
Old 12-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #34
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:58 PM
I like to think my insults are pretty straightforward.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Musical taste is subjective.

Let's all continue on the path to death.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
I like to think my insults are pretty straightforward.
Hence the quotation marks when I posted "subtle"

It's all good though. Obviously everyone is gonna have a different opinion on what's great, what's greater and what's the greatest. If it weren't that way there would be no need for these types of forums. As long as each individual realises that music taste it all relative to the listener than it's cool. It's when people lose that perspective that it becomes really annoying.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:49 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:58 PM
I like the beatles well enough - what I do NOT like is bands today, in 2005, trying to be them. That is actually kind of sad. There is a point where reverent fandom crosses over into lameness.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
Musical taste is subjective.
Exactly. Thank you .

Angela
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
what I do NOT like is bands today, in 2005, trying to be them. That is actually kind of sad. There is a point where reverent fandom crosses over into lameness.
Are you referring to anyone in particular?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well U2man, yes I am. However the list is too long to even begin on. I notice however that every second youngish band that comes along make some noises about wanting to be like the Beatles, and they get plaudits heaped on them because they manage the incredible (!) feat of making some of their songs sound 'Beatlesque'. Clear enough?

Full props to U2, I'm pleased that in the main their career has not depended on 'sounding like' the Beatles.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Kieran, lemme take a wild stab in the dark and guess that you don't like Oasis.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The Beatles are great, but it is strange to see Rubber Soul ranked so high...

And it seems that most lists tend to ignore the sheer brilliance of an album, and instead focus on how influential they were in shaping popular music over the past 50 years.

If brilliance was taken into greter consideration, I think Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree WOULD often make the top 20 of lists such as this.

But it is such a contentious thing to do is to create "best ever" album, band or single lists. Don't get me wrong, I love reading them, and they create great debate and discussion, but you can never take them as Gospel.

You should never also think that just because your personal top 10 albums of all time are all absent from the top 100 of lists such a these, reflects a less mature individual taste.

What it all boils down to is how enjoyable an album is to the individual.

At the moment for instance, my top 10 albums might be:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Stone Roses
3. Throwing Copper
4. OK Computer
5. Whats the Story Morning Glory
6. Sgt Peppers
7. Out of Time
8. Aqualung
9. Dreamland
10. Meat is Murder

They may not be popularly considered amongst the greatest albums of all time, but they are the ones that I would most enjoy listening to, and in the end that is all that really matters...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:14 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

They're really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, good.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:05 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Kieran, lemme take a wild stab in the dark and guess that you don't like Oasis.
Yeah, those were the ones I was thinking of, too.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sure, Oasis are one, but don't think they're the only ones. Being like the beatles is a growth industry!