When should a band call it quits???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
I ask this question because I just got an email from one of my favorite bands, The Samples. After15 years, they are looking at massive financial problems and are thinking about breaking up. They've toured constantly for years, put out ten or more albums (I think), always put their fans first, have never been noticed by the mainstream media (unbelievable in my opinion), and now may have to quit because they can't make it work financially. But they're asking their fans for donations so they can keep going. I don't know if I'll give money or not, but that's not my question.

My question is: When should a band call it quits? When music is your life, when do you stop and wal away, or should you? In this situation, is it really the right idea to turn to your fans for help, or should you decide the time is right, and quietly walk away?

Personally, I don't want their music to stop, but the reality is that unless they can get some major exposure at this point, it's always going to be tough financially, and this is just a stop-gap measure. The music business eats up the little guy I guess.

Sad.

A band should call it quits when they call themselves Creed, and they're a huge Pearl Jam rip off.

I dont know, I'll have to think about it.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauch you mentioned creed. i cant believe some of the people here. there should be a zero tolerance policy towards those who portray even the smallest indication of leniancy towards such a pathetic dispay of musical degredation.

mofo, i know your making fun of them, im talking about the other thread.

a band should call it quits when the handwriting is on the wall. everyone knows when that is, but they dont always chose ot acknowledge it.

When ever the music isnt what it's about at all. If it's about money, end it.

If the music sucks, and the band itself knows it, stop.

IWasBored said:
metallica

Sad But True. (that's actually the name of a Metallica song too, I'm so clever)

I really hope they put together something half decent on this newest album of theirs, but my hopes arent up too high. My roommate said it best,"As much as I love Metallica, I really doubt I'll buy this newest thing. They'd have to do a whole lot more than they have been doing on their most recent albums." My roommate Kyle said that, or something like that. Actually, I probably didnt even come close to what he said.

Last edited:
Noel Gallagher (I know I'll get crucified for paraphrasing him, I'm not a huge fan, but anyway...) said that a band is done when they are making albums just so they can go on tour (I think he's right). As much as I enjoy the Rolling Stones their time is up, they are turning into AC/DC by living off old tunes and making new tunes that are just the old tunes off tune (huh?). I'm rambling...

cujo said:
Noel Gallagher (I know I'll get crucified for paraphrasing him, I'm not a huge fan, but anyway...) said that a band is done when they are making albums just so they can go on tour (I think he's right). As much as I enjoy the Rolling Stones their time is up, they are turning into AC/DC by living off old tunes and making new tunes that are just the old tunes off tune (huh?). I'm rambling...

you scared me, for a second i thought you were saying that oasis should call it quits...

Most bands never have to 'call it quits' because 'quits' calls for them. Either someone dies, or leaves, or they get pissed off and break up and/or sue each other. Sometimes they 'go out of business' because they get so unpopular their label drops them and no one else will pick them up. When you consider just how often these things happen, you can see just how special U2 really are.

Back
Top Bottom