What were you doing in 1986???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok erm.. In 1986 I was a total geek.

Here I am with my cousin.. I'm on the right.. playing Monopoly.. nice friggin hair.. :rolleyes: and I just noticed posters of Ricky Shroeder on my wall. :eek:

* waits for 1987 because thats when I started obsessing over U2.. ( such a better year.. ;) )

Attachments

• 1986.jpg
    1986.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 86
Sicy said:
Ok erm.. In 1986 I was a total geek.

Here I am with my cousin.. I'm on the right.. playing Monopoly.. nice friggin hair.. :rolleyes: and I just noticed posters of Ricky Shroeder on my wall. :eek:

* waits for 1987 because thats when I started obsessing over U2.. ( such a better year.. ;) )

:lol: Okay, the hair is understandable...if you lived in California in 1986 you had to have the rooster thing going with your bangs...but Ricky Schroeder!!! :eeklaugh:

We're Silver Spoons together...you and I :D

let's see......we moved to Detroit, I was at the beginning of my ugly phase, my grandmother died, and I wore pink Converse All-Stars. Definitely NOT one of my finest years....

too bad I don't have a scanner. :tongue:

Busy with my second son, and finding out hub was quite a good bass player (he sold his bass when he left the city and never let on he played for some time)I helped him get his first North Coast band together, mainly by staying home with the children and keeping them quiet in the morning so he could sleep in after a gig. The band was called Razor and he has played nearly every weekend ever since. Are there any other rock'n' roll widows here?
:D if there are, you'll know what I mean. it's Ok.....but sometimes.....

Nappies and rock n roll. Grand days.

Last edited:
uh...i was 2...and living in argentina...we moved the next year...i don't remember anything...and i don't have a scanner...so, no pic for you...

I was 8 years old. I wish I had a pic, I was such a nerd!! lol

I went to my best friend's birthday party, where we all saw An American Tail for the hundreth time (for me it was more like 15th; my poor parents!). Um, I remember we had just gotten cable I think so I was addicted to Mtv and wanted to be like Madonna so I would wake up real early on weekends and put on my "Madonna outfit": jelly sandals & bracelts, a big fluffy black skirt, and a pink scarf which I wore around my head. Lots of junk jewelry figured into it, too. I put on concerts for my parents, hehe

I was so cute. ;)

I was 15, with a flock of seagulls-like hair style, totally geeky, totally obsessed with anything U2 related.
*goes off in search of pictures*

Here I am at age 13 with 2 things I don't have now, long hair and baseball uniform.

Attachments

• jim13.jpg
    jim13.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 59
Expo '86!!

1986 marked the year the World's fair came to Vancouver!! That was huge and by far my biggest memory of '86

1986_l.gif

I remember wearing black and white bermuda shorts with a red polo shirt, collar up of course and short hair spiked on one side. Damn I gotta get a scanner, the pics are hilarious!!! I remember all the pavilions we visited, the laser show, the fireworks, the monorail, the gondolas, seeing Tony Parsons do the news, being introduced to Mel Gibson for the first time in my life and wishing that I was old enough to go and see Howard Jones in concert one night!! LMAO :D I was twelve and ready for the world!! Rode on my first ever roller coaster (The Scream Machine) and discovered that the Mounties Musical Ride really is just for tourists. :yawn:

I nearly had a heart attack at the top of the parachute drop!!!
expo1.jpg

This guy just takes me waaaaaaaaaaaaay back! UFO H2O
expo7.jpg

The big Swatch Watch was the best!!!
derschweiz.jpg

Ok.... I'll stop now.... But you asked!!!!! :D

Last edited:
In 1986 I turned 1 and my mum and dad bought me my first vinyl record....maybe that explains my music obsession now and my hoige music collection, my mum was pregnant with my brother who is a year and 10 months younger than me. I was sick until I was about 10 months and cried constantly....I tired out my poor mum and dad and they spent most of that year taking me to the hopsital, and trying to get me to stop crying oh i also moved house in that year too.

Oh I would post a pic but after I blew the computer up last year my dad couldnt get the scanner installed again and chucked it in a box and put it in the attic......maybe ill see if he can try and make it work again later :)

Last edited:
Well, I was 4 years old...so 16 years ago, I had finished pre-school and was gettin' geared up for kindergarten. That probably meant I spent the days mostly playin' with my older sister and her friends in the neighborhood in our tree fort across the street in the woods, swimmin' in our pool or the neighbors' pool, and playin' football and stuff in our yard. Or, if my sis was bein' mean, helpin' Mom around the house and playin' in the sandbox with her or with Barbies. :)

I was turning 1... I really can't remember what I was doing but I think I was crying, eating, sleeping, playing, learning how to speak and kept on crying...

*goes to search a 1986 pic*

[edit]
33482%3B%3B523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A96%3D46%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3B8499388ot1lsi

Last edited:
1986...let's see...
In May I graduated from The University of Massachusetts.
In June I saw U2 and others at Giants Stadium on the Amnesty International tour.
In October I attended game 5 of the World Series at Fenway Park and watched Bruce Hurst pitch the Red Sox to a 3-2 wseries lead...2 days later the ball went through Bill Buckner's legs and I have been scarred ever since.

12 years old... just bought a sweet green Dyno bike and moving into the skateboard phase that would define me for several years... throwing rocks at cars... bottle rocket wars... Run DMC and Beastie Boys (i think)...

I think this is my best thread idea that I have had yet. Thanks for posting all the cute baby pic and what not. I think it makes everyone a little more human and real. Sorry to all the others who were pre-embro state. I guess I could have picked a more recent year. To make all the really young folks feel better I will post one of my baby pic.

1986...I was in 7th grade having the best time in elementary. :eeklaugh: God, I'm old, but I still remember that far.

I don't have many pics of me from that year. I have some in '87 when I graduated from college (and just one then - my sister somehow ruined the role of film we used at graduation). I have some in '83 when I dressed up as Doctor Who :)sheepish grin:) and I have some in '88 when I went to Germany. But the only one I could find from '86 was a license. For some reason, it wasn't taken from me, so I kept it.

Now, if you actually think this is a good pic - blame it on the poor cameras of '86. :lol: Still, as I look at this pic, I see such an innocent person. I looked at a few more recent pics and that innocence is LONG gone. :D

In 1986, I was still in college. I worked as a waiter to pay for my schooling. Waiting tables, while tiresome, actually kept me in good shape (as I worked a lot of parties in the upstairs room). Now, there are these rolls of fat that just keep popping up. Blah... :madspit: In '86, I still lived at my parents' home. In '87, I graduated, obtained my first job as a chemist and moved out of my parents' house. I'm happy to say that I've never moved back in since. :D

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that I was probably 21 when this pic was taken - soon to turn 22. Ah... youth. Now I'm 37 soon to turn 38. What the?!?!

Attachments

• license 1986.jpg
    license 1986.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
BrattyIrishPunk said:
Nothing--I wasnt born yet:sad:

Originally posted by u2er
I was born in April of '87.

Daaaaaaamn I feel old! :D

I was 7 years old, so 2nd or 3rd grade I guess? I was probably hanging around a lot at my friend Jon's house with my other friend James, playing basketball a lot and building tons of legos :D. Don't think I have any pictures from back then (at least not on the computer)

I spent the beginning of the year with being born and understanding what I saw - like obviously some here. :wink:

Well I would have been 5 years old, so i was at pre-primary school (you guys will probably have no idea what that is).

My parents built a new house.

[And um, i did the usual kid stuff....
:scratch:

I was 9. I believe that was the year my parents divorced and my grandfather died. There were good things too, I'm sure, but elementary school was harder than any other time for me. You couldn't pay me to go back. We've packed our scanner so no pics... oh darn!

Oh, and my hubby was a junior in high school! It's a little weird when you think about it. He was listening to U2, I wasn't. I was a late bloomer as far as my musical tastes. My mom only listened to contemporary Christian music so I didn't know much about pop music until middle school. I think my first cassette tape was the Bangles (5th grade) hee hee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom