What nerdy stuff do you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox[/i][b] 2- I have read about 14 Star Wars Novels 10- I run a summer camp teaching Lego Robotics. [/b][/quote] [qUOTE][i]Originally posted by ABEL said:

4. I go to Star Trek/Star Wars sci-fi conventions

5. I got a custom-made Star Trek uniform made a couple years ago that cost me $200 to wear to the Star Trek conventions

Okay, you two need to have a nerd run-off. :sexywink: :p

I was on academic team in high school in college. My sophomore year of high school, we won the state academic decathlon and went to the national competition in Atlanta. :reject:

I'n not nerdy, I'm intellectual

I like to read the dictionary (both english - and spanish) for fun and learning :D

I accentuate all words in spanish (most people don't even know how to accentuate)

I write texts so I can improve my ortography and calligraphy

I read National Geographic (subscriber since 2000)

I like to learn phrases in other languages-dialects

Important Note: I don't find the things I enjoy doing as nerdy. The people around me do. To me, it's important to practice and improve and learn as much as you can.

Well my bf calls me a nerd so I must be one but maybe it's because: I wear glasses even though I don't need them, I read all kinds of magazines that come in the mail even if I didn't order them, I always watch the twilight zone and star trek marathons when they come on the sci-fi channel, I know too much about the James Bond series, I read "Great Expectations" for my own entertainment only to be told that you don't really have to read a book like that unless it's a high school assignment, I like to read the dictionary, I love to listen to my bf's remixes of video game music- even listen to it loud in the car (I get funny looks), I go to many video game sites and play many video games and buy many video games and hope to one day go to a multimedia school in Florida to earn a career doing something nerdy.

I'm such a nerd

List of Nerdy things I do

• I collect coins (I get excited when I see foriegn currency or a rare coin)
  • I :heart: crossword puzzles
  • I know more about computers than the people that live around me (but not more than the most of the people here)
  • I have not only one, but two pairs of glasses (one for reading and one for driving)
  • I've watched Star Treck the Next Generation and was actually entertained
  • I love the Outer Limits and the old Twillight Zone
  • I took latin in school and still remember a lot of it (for fun I translated The Iliad)
  • I took place in the state geography bee (thou I pretended not to know an answer so I wouldn't look too smart)

Like others, I know too much about Star Wars. Last time it was on television, I would recite lines of dialogue before they came on screen. My son laughed at the first couple. After the 4th or 5th one, he just punched me on the arm....

Well...this one time at band camp.....

Yes, I went to band camp.....

1. I :heart: languages. When I hear people talking in a different language, I eavesdrop and try to figure out which one they're speaking in. If it's English with a foreign accent, I still try guess where the person's originally from. :reject:
2. I have geography books and used to know all the capitals of the world.
3. I am taking French for fun and taught myself how to read and write in Russian.
4. I have DVDs of "Friends".
5. I seriously want to know what kind of recording bootlegs are on (audience, soundboard, ALD, those click-track sh*t, etc.).
6. I want to take all sorts of classes right now for fun...if only I had the money.
7. I think I read the whole DVD FAQ online.
8. I can still recite a lot of lines from "The Breakfast Club", "Pretty In Pink" and "Sixteen Candles". :huh:
9. I have tapes of the Olympics and used to read about it a lot.

ABEL said:
7. Wake up at 4am in the morning once a year to go to the Plano Hot Air Balloon show and watch the pre-dawn hot air balloon launch (i'm going to become a member of the Plano Hot Air Balloon Association soon as I get paid)

:up: I once took a long bus ride just to watch a hot air balloon race. I wanna get on one this year.

Last edited:
I collect stamps and beermats

I also like reading poetry and books

I like hammering things and putting nails in the wall and gluing stuff and painting when my Dad decides its DIY time except he shouts at me so im not allowed to play with most things :ohmy:

dizzy said:
1. I :heart: languages. When I hear people talking in a different language, I eavesdrop and try to figure out which one they're speaking in. If it's English with a foreign accent, I still try guess where the person's originally from. :reject:
2. I have geography books and used to know all the capitals of the world.
6. I want to take all sorts of classes right now for fun...if only I had the money.

I do all of these too. :laugh: Especially the accent one. When people at work get a voicemail from someone with an accent, they let me listen to it and I translate and guess where they're from. :reject:

I obsess about stuff like u2 & my friends find it annoying. I'm a dancer & constantly worry about my weight, which bugs my friends. I like the Lord of the Rings a little too much & have had the same lunch at school every day for 6 years. I've been on the Spanish team at school for 3 yrs running, and have been in the geography Bee 3 times- at my school that defines a nerd. There's more- but I can't think of it right now. Oh yeah, I'm really weird, which makes me a nerd!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure pretty much everyone here obsesses about U2, and lots of us obsess about far more bands. I obsess about so many bands that I feel bad when I dont give some bands as much listening time as they deserve.

meegannie said:

Probably. It's like the nerd Mecca. ;)

I'm originally from DC...only lived there until I was 3 but I go back to visit family a lot and I would consider myself a nerd! Haha :der:

u2popmofo said:
I'm pretty sure pretty much everyone here obsesses about U2, and lots of us obsess about far more bands. I obsess about so many bands that I feel bad when I dont give some bands as much listening time as they deserve.

well said. i know i certainly obsess about a ton of bands.

three words: the repeat button...

Other than coming here alot you mean?

I guess that would be the fact that I read alot of comics. But not the usual ones I like stuff like Transmetropolitan, The Sandman, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, The Authority and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
I also watch anime and know way too much about U2 and punk rock and force people to listen to me rant about it.
I am also a medieval history major, which has never been considered cool - but actually is. Well it is! I don't care. Ha.

medival history major???? you are my new hero! it's scary how much i like that subject and can't spell that word to save my life :p

i like jthm too

and squeeeeeeeeee!!

Yeah Squee rules. And yes so does Medieval history. My speciality is the Black Death if you wanna get really dorky about it...

You guys should re-name this thread "The coolest ppl in the forum".Seriously,you've got great interests,so diverse.I'd enjoy to talk to any of you if I met you.
Btw,I also majored in Medieval history :D .

Last edited:
I used to be a trekkie. It all went downhill after Next Generation, though...

I'm was a piano major in college, so I could go on for a while about cool classical music and theory (if I can remember it all....).

I love reading about art history - particularly European. The different eras fascinate me (Renaissance, Baroque, Rococco, Classical, Romantic, neo-classical, impressionistic, etc).

I love going wine tasting.

I'm sort of an audiophile. I'm obsessed with good sound. Just got an SACD player a few weeks ago (sounds incredible). Love going into Hi-Fi shops to listen to expensive speakers. I also really like headphones (not the cheapos you find at Walmart or Best buy, but really good headphones that can sound better than speakers that cost $1K+). I actually have a pair of headphones that originally retailed at over $200. :eek:

I have a weakness for computer games, particularly military ones (see computer games thread). Ghost Recon drains way too much time out of a day if I let it.

I like watching the discovery channel/history channel/animal planet/national geographic, etc...

I used to be a big airplane nut. I could tell you all about jets and helicopters and any kind of aircraft.

And the biggest one of all:

I hang out on an internet forum frequently. :D

Last edited:
Diemen said:

I have a weakness for computer games, particularly military ones (see computer games thread). Ghost Recon drains way too much time out of a day if I let it.

He he....how geekey am I???

Diemen, what is your rank in the dossier of Ghost Recon?
Have you tried the Dossier Objectives?
I just spent the last month clearing Mission 5 and Mission 15 with just a sniper in the Quick Mission mode.

Peace

Diemen said:

I love reading about art history - particularly European. The different eras fascinate me (Renaissance, Baroque, Rococco, Classical, Romantic, neo-classical, impressionistic, etc).

:yes: :drool:

Dreadsox said:

He he....how geekey am I???

Diemen, what is your rank in the dossier of Ghost Recon?
Have you tried the Dossier Objectives?
I just spent the last month clearing Mission 5 and Mission 15 with just a sniper in the Quick Mission mode.

Peace

Hmmm...I haven't checked my rank yet. I'll need to check out the dossier objectives, too.

If you haven't bought it yet, I highly suggest getting the Island Thunder expansion pack. The enemy AI is MUCH better, it's amazing how smart they can be sometimes. Sometimes it's frustrating how good they are, but it makes the missions much more challenging and rewarding to pull off without casualties. I'd say that Island Thunder on veteran difficulty is harder than Ghost Recon on elite.

Back
Top Bottom