what do you do to stay fit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
work out?
weight training?
run?
swim?
boxing?
sit on the couch and lift the remote sporadically?
yoga?
dancing?

im thinking of something new and fun to do that isnt going to bore me. i get bored easily and need to change my routines a lot, so im looking for ideas!

anyone know much about this pilates thing?

Right now...

5km run 4-5 days a week (treadmill)

40 situps, 40 pushups daily

daily weights - 30 benchpresses (about 40 kilos, yeah im weak), 20 dumbells each arm, just started doing leg weights.

Pretty boring, but I make sure I'm listening to music prettymuch throughout...

I do a 10km run every morning, swim about 30 laps or so as often as I can, usually daily. Kick boxing 3-4 times a week depending on my aerobics schedule. I try and do a mini marathon on weekends, about 20-30km's...oh and I usually do lifts daily, probably about 5 glasses of water? A few diet soft drinks when the water tastes too boring, I do sit ups on my recliner when I put it up to the sit position (at least 10 of these in the evening), I walk to the printer at least 5 times a day, walk to my car from the office, gear changes for my lower calf workout when I am driving, more so in heavy traffic, thats about it.

Next year I plan on finally using the mini tramp I got last christmas and I am contemplating buying an exercise bike.

The latter of course being the more realistic representation of my workout schedule, but I do plan on changing it as I am very unfit I think.
:wink:

Hamburgers for dinner

and chunks of pork fat for supper

I prefer the "sit on the couch and drink beer" method of staying fit.

I used to work out 6 hours a day but I'm very much loving retirement. When I get back into it I will probably swim a couple of hours a day. Its the best thing for you really....full body workout, great cardio effects and its quite hard to get injured while in the water.

:yawn:

I usually do running M-F in the morning and weight training Mon, Wed, and Fri after the run but I felt off the wagon a few months ago.

As of right now I am just doing some Mountain biking when I can which has been really fun and way more of a work out than I expected *feels legs for soreness of Saturdays ride*. It is funny that you mention this thread today because I was going to go to the gym starting tomorrow after work.

daisybean said:
you people make me feel lazy.....

:reject:

Me too! I try to work out a couple times a week, but with school and everything it's usually more like once a week. I guess it's better than nothing. :shrug: I'm also in a hip hop dance class twice a week, so I get some exercise from that too.

I run until I get bored. Sometimes it's only a mile but sometimes it's more. I run outside, I get bored too quickly on a treadmil. I totally fell off the wagon last week. I didn't run once! Over the summer when I'm not in school I run every day. Now I try to get out there 3 times a week. My disipline seems to disappear during the school year....

pub crawler said:
I play bongos naked, at night, quite a lot....its important to bounce ur ass off the wall at the right moment, firms it up and thats why I have such a magnificent J-Lo ass...all my friends envy me....every other part of me I use to lift beer cans or pizza...it gives my mouth a good work-out, something beneficial for those Kareoke at Bingo nights, every Thurs, were big Rita attends, and thats why I like Mondays, like my last post see?

i like lifting the remote sporadically, but that's generally done from my bed, does that count?

i weight train and swim and mainly i row. rowing bunrs over 800 calories an hour. :sexywink:

I used to dance four, five days a week. Sometimes six. It was insane, but never boring. Ah, I miss it.

I'd dance now, I miss ballet so much, but classes are offered at night dowtown....which means I'd have to travel there, or wait around after school for four hours. Pain in the arse. My New Year's Resolution is to take more dance classes though.

As for now, I've been jogging every day, or every second day for a few months. Nothing much, just 20mins-1/2hr (about 1-2km). Now that the damn snow's here though I'll have to go to the gym and use a tredmill.....soooooo boring. Why run when you can't go anywhere??

I don't have any options except

Walking.
I have had a big fright this year and HAD to do something. I was thinking the other day how active I was before I moved away from the coast and had children...no wonder I put on weight. I would LOVE to take up surfing,swimming, horse-riding,jogging, volley-ball and squash again.
When the boys were little, our favourite activity was camping in National Parks and walking the trails...we had intentions of getting all the gear and doing walk-in only areas when they were older (someone slipped on some rocks and injured her back in the washpool forest, didn't she? ejit...so that all came to an "end" so as to speak, they won't go with out me...the cook!)

This seems to be a good place for it......Fate......at the end of last year a family moved here from Tonga via Sydney and one of the boys befriended my son. He is SUCH a good influence, he is right into health and weigth training (plus he won the Principal's Award for Academic Excellence...allrounder and nice young man) My sons asked for a press-bench last Christmas and we have been buying weights as we can afford them. I owe a lot to Chris for the example he has set.
What I have realised this week ( much to my horror)is that at my age,and with my metabolism and body-type, it becomes a constant thing....I just have a couple of days off, no exercise , too many fags and I feel like death again. It will be a permanent constant effort to stay fit.
If I lived in town and had money I'd go to a gym and perhaps do tae-Bo or yoga or dance class or...........endless possiblility.
But walking is free and effective and a lot of fun if you have a dogfriend. Not so long ago I looked and more importantly felt,like JabbatheHutt. Hub said the other day I looked like the woman from terminator 2, so something must be working.I haven't started on the weights yet.

"Rover appreciates a walk around the park....
Go for a row, have a go
Be in it, live more of your life"remember Norm?
Good luck:wave:

I belong to a gym where I do weight training, aerobics, stretching, fast-walking on the running trail (but not all in one workout!), and end with a nice steam. Occasionally I take a pilates class there, too, but the classes don't work too well with my work schedule. However, I'm convinced that pilates is the perfect workout for me so I'm trying to figure out how I can do more of that. I am also a health junkie so I do a lot of vegetable juicing, fasting, herbs, supplements plus a predominantly vegetarian diet (I eat fish occasionally). But I will never give up Ben & Jerry's. :drool:

When I have the money, or when I really need it, I get massages, acupuncture, and adjustments from the Osteopath. Lately I've needed a lot of this, though...man, it's all way too expensive :mad: (except for the acupuncturist--best in town only charges $35!).

ooooh!! i don't do anything! :D (and it shows!!)

well i do walk to and from class but i doubt that really makes up for all the junk food i eat. although the weird thing is, my migraine medicine (yay!! it prevents them so now i don't get them every damn day) is also a weight loss pill so i don't eat as much as i used to.

i plan on starting yoga soon though when i start going to the gym again in the new year. no, it has nothing to do with new year's resolutions, it has to do with the fact that money's been tight for me so i had to freeze my gym membership and it's being reinstated in january. plus, i plan on taking yoga next fall at university, cuz we have to take a fitness class. i'd rather take water aerobics, but i don't want all the britneys seeing me in my one-piece. free willy! :huh:

____
:silent: maybe i'll take water aerobics at the gym.

pub crawler said:
Uh, I eat coffee and eat pastries. And sit on my ass at work all day. I'm in great shape.

me too, except I don't drink coffee....for me it's PEPSI!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom