What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Ok, time for another one of these threads!

(1) The Cocteau Twins - From a video on VH1 the other night, aired as part of a John Peel tribute night, I have a feeling I would like them, as I generally like this type of atmospheric music.

(2) Nine Inch Nails - Keep meaning to buy 'Downward Spiral', but always get distracted by something else.

(3) Gram Parsons - have got the double CD best of, which is a very comprehensive taster, and would like to get more.

(4) Emmy Lou Harris - have some of her duets with Gram on the Gram Parsons CDs', would be interested in checking out her solo stuff.

(5) Kate Bush - her new album is imminent seemingly.

(6) Arcade Fire - embarassingly, have yet to familarise myself with them so need to find out what everyone is enthusing over.

(7) Sigur Ros - same as nr (6)

(8) The Church - I have to find out what Indra has been raving about. :wink:

(9) Gavin Friday - he put out a good solo record back around 1994(judging from the singles I heard), but it seems to be hard to get hold of at present.

(10) Soundgarden - I quite like that 'grunge mixed with mellow' vibe.

(11) Alice in Chains - same as nr (10) RIP Layne Staley.

Ok what are yours....

Last edited:
1. Institute.

2. Dashboard Confessions

3, Audioslave

4. Billy Corgan.

I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there are others.

boosterjuice said:
1. Institute.

2. Dashboard Confessions

3, Audioslave

4. Billy Corgan.

I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there are others.

You're not missing a fucking thing. Be glad you've not yet had a chance to "get into" these bands/artists. I use those last two terms very loosely, I might add...

I mean, to each his own. It may be perfect for you. I'm just saying that were I in your shoes, I'd be a far happier man. :wink: Ignorance, as they say, is bliss.

:hmm:

1. Arcade Fire

2. Sigur Ros

I hardly get to even hear these bands! :scratch: Maybe cos I look to radio for my new music.

3. David Bowie's albums. Only have the 'best of' which I hardly listen to. :reject:

4. The Mars Volta: Very curious about them esp. after seeing that weird album cover and hearing that one of their influences is Pink Floyd.

5. Coldplay. :wink: I'd like to get Parachutes or Rush of Blood some time.

If you shout... said:
You're not missing a fucking thing. Be glad you've not yet had a chance to "get into" these bands/artists. I use those last two terms very loosely, I might add...

I mean, to each his own. It may be perfect for you. I'm just saying that were I in your shoes, I'd be a far happier man. :wink: Ignorance, as they say, is bliss.

Billy Corgan is a talented guy, certainly qualifies as an artist and musician in my book, and Audioslave though I know little of them OUGHT to be good given the people in it.

Zootlesque said:

1. Arcade Fire

2. Sigur Ros

I hardly get to even hear these bands! :scratch: Maybe cos I look to radio for my new music.

3. David Bowie's albums. Only have the 'best of' which I hardly listen to. :reject:

4. The Mars Volta: Very curious about them esp. after seeing that weird album cover and hearing that one of their influences is Pink Floyd.

(1) and (2) - ahh good to see someone else has admitted to not being familar with them....:wink:

(3) - yes I only have the best of compilation and one of his albums. To be honest, Bowie is someone I respect as a talent but I never had the urge to go out and buy every single one of his albums, so far.

nr (5) funnily enough I am the opposite - I have the first two albums but not X and Y.

financeguy said:

Billy Corgan is a talented guy, certainly qualifies as an artist and musician in my book, and Audioslave though I know little of them OUGHT to be good given the people in it.

I know what you're saying, but trust me. Billy Corgan WAS talented...you used the wrong verb tense, is all. He WAS quite talented. And now he isn't.

And Audioslave has nothing going for them at all. Turns out the Morello didn't mean shit, after all.

financeguy said:

nr (5) funnily enough I am the opposite - I have the first two albums but not X and Y.

well.. I don't have X&Y either. :lol:

They just haven't piqued my interest enough to get their albums yet. It's weird cos I like most of the singles that have come out. Guess I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Zootlesque said:

1. Arcade Fire

2. Sigur Ros

Don't hesitate!

Zootlesque said:

Don't rush. :barf:

Zootle:

You know how much I want to kill Coldplay and DMB, right? You know about my whole kicking-Chris-Martin-in-the-nuts stuff?

Well, I forgot about The Mars Volta. As far as major acts who are for some reason thought to have talent go, Mars Volta is CLEARLY the worst band in the entire world. That rabbi hip-hopper is better than those fuckers.

If you're interested, just listen to every single song ever released by ATD-I and "Glasshouse Tarot" by Sparta. That's every good song the band/ex-members of the band have put out. FUCK THE MARS VOLTA. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

If you purchase Frances the Mute and like it, I will have trouble ever trusting you again, my friend. I can honestly say that of the albums WHICH I'VE HEARD, it is the worst in the history of music. Contemporary, classical, or otherwise. Give me Hillary Duff or Kenny Chesney or something and I'll be happier.

Now, if you'll excuse me...I'm going to throw up for you.

Someone sent me a copy recently of Arcade Fire's stuff, I've yet to sit and give it a listen, though. I remember hearing a song or two from them on a music channel once...rather interesting-from what I recall, I liked what I heard :).

As for others:

-The Jam
-Madness
-XTC

Those are my big ones right now-I've heard some of their songs, but I want to start getting, like, compilation CDs, at least, to start off with, and continue on from there, 'cause I'm loving what I've heard so far. I'm sure there's more out there, if I think of them, I'll list them later.

Angela

Radiohead- blasphemy, I know. I've actually listened through a decent amount of their stuff, but nothing's really sounded that great to me, except maybe Fake Plastic Trees or Karma Police. I don't understand the big deal about them, but I guess if I actually bought a few of their albumes, I might actually "get" them.

Pink Floyd- zootlesque knows my deal with them. :wink: dark side of the moon is awesome, but I just can't force myself to listen to their other stuff...

The Church- indra sent me those files, and I liked them, but never go around to looking into them.

Pearl Jam- I like some of their songs (and how they seem to take care of their fans) but need some albums.

I'm sure there's a thousand others, but that's all I can think of...

VG! You should definitely start with The Bends! If you don't like it, you should not even bother with anything else IMO.

Nick Drake - Someone I know who likes good music recommended him to me.

Elliot Smith - See above.

Wilco - Everyone cool I know seems to like them, so there must be something good about Wilco.

Yeah, I can't think of anything else.

Arcade Fire

Sufjan Stevens (sp?)

And I will probably get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but I've been wanting to check out Robbie Williams' CDs even since I saw him perform at Live 8. :reject: I haven't gotten around to it though - probably out of sheer embarrasment.

financeguy said:

(8) The Church - I have to find out what Indra has been raving about. :wink:

:D

If you PM me your addy I'll send you a sampler of some of their stuff. :yes:

And yeah, you should listen to The Cocteau Twins. They are wonderful.

My (partial) list of musicians I've been meaning to check out, but haven't yet:

All India Radio
The Beangrowers
Catherine Wheel
Luna
Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Sonic Boom

All come highly recommended by various and sundry friends, many who have turned me onto bands I now love. I am working on it though, as I have Dance Dance Baby by The Beangrowers and a Martin Kennedy (of All India Radio) side project -- Big Spaceship -- on order. :yes:

I also need to check out more shoegaze and space rock bands, since many of the bands I like (and several on the above list) either fit one or both of those genres or are at least somewhat influenced by them. Plus I love that whole wall of sound, feedback-drenched kinda thing. :yes:

And there are a bunch of others I've been putting off getting until I moved, and now that I have (moved, that is), I forget what I was gonna buy. :huh:

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
Arcade Fire

Sufjan Stevens (sp?)

And I will probably get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but I've been wanting to check out Robbie Williams' CDs even since I saw him perform at Live 8. :reject: I haven't gotten around to it though - probably out of sheer embarrasment.

Robbie is the only pop artist I can listen to without cringing. The Ego Has Landed is actually a good cd.

Red House Painters
American Music Club
Galaxie 500
Able Tasmans
Jean-Paul Sartre Experience
Love Association
Run Westy Run

Re: Re: What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it

indra said:

My (partial) list of musicians I've been meaning to check out, but haven't yet:

All India Radio
The Beangrowers
Catherine Wheel
Luna
Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Sonic Boom

Luna is bloody awesome, plain and simple.

Screendoor said:
Red House Painters

well...that was one of the bands I've been meaning to check into more but forgot. Plus Sun Kil Moon.

Re: Re: Re: What CD's/musicians do you intend to check out, but haven't got around to it

Screendoor said:

Luna is bloody awesome, plain and simple.

I do have about a cd and a half of their music (from a friend), I just haven't heard any cd of theirs in it's entirety...and I like to do that with bands. Gives more of a feel for them at a particular point.

lots of post-rock bands:

Set Fire To Flames (I have some of their stuff but I need more)
Gastr del Sol (see above)
Stars of the Lid
Cult of Luna
Wold's End Girlfriend
Earth
Sunn O))) (same as Set Fire... and Gastr del Sol)
A Minor Forest (see above)

many more

also:

Frog Eyes
Clinic
French Kicks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom