Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:

Awesome! And there's so much awesome stuff so close together in Europe.... good luck with it! :up:

yeah. being an au pair would be a weird change of pace and change of plans, but it also sounds really, really nice for a little less than a year. the families all sound great and i love kids, and i need to learn french, and i'd have some time to write, and etc. etc. I've got a lot of interest in me out of Geneva because my profile's got my education and career interests, and right now (in the early stages of talking to families) I already feel like I'll have trouble deciding between 2-5 wonderful families. One's offering $600 a month plus french tuition, so I think I'll try and make that my standard unless I hear something better.

Axver said:

That would suck if so. I'd look it up to see if I can confirm it either way, but that requires effort and I don't care that much about the song. Also I'm kind of happier not knowing they fucked up what would've been a good instrumental.

the u2.com vid that is now on youtube where he talks about it and then forgets the words is what gave me that impression.

major_panic said:
I'm thinking of going to England for a few months at the end of next year, so as not to waste my Brit citizenship and to see what it's like.
I'm thinking of doing the 12-month working holiday visa in the UK before I get too old for it.... :hmm:

Axver said:

:lmao:

You know what I love? The Tongan rugby team also has a pre-game war dance, and when they play the All Blacks, they do theirs WHILE THE ALL BLACKS DO THE HAKA. It's so fucking intense.

The bad part? I saw Tonga vs New Zealand at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but thanks to a transportation fuck-up, I got to the venue just as the Haka finished. Still regret that.

Whoa, that sounds sweet (though it's pretty cool seeing the opposition bite their lips and shit their shorts while the haka is going on). Any videos of it on Youtube?

Sucks about you missing it, but don't worry. Around 2001 I arrived at Footy Park where the Eagles were coming out of their bus, and I forgot a texta. So the first time I see any of them up close, I can't even get their autographs.

Oh well, I made up for it later. I'm sure you will too.

major_panic said:

Very nice! So you know people there already?

I'm thinking of going to England for a few months at the end of next year, so as not to waste my Brit citizenship and to see what it's like.

i don't know anyone, just in contact with some lovely families via an au pair finding website. it's a really international city which would be fun for networking, meeting interesting men :shifty: and then of course it's close to other great places.

i am so jealous of anyone with eu citizenship. i tried to get it through the holocaust remittance acts and i would have succeeded if i had a grandfather and not a grandmother who'd come out. :angry: at sexist citizenship laws.

Axver said:
That would suck if so. I'd look it up to see if I can confirm it either way, but that requires effort and I don't care that much about the song. Also I'm kind of happier not knowing they fucked up what would've been a good instrumental.
I've only listened to Wave of Sorrow about twice. :huh: It just doesn't grab me, musically or lyrically... :reject:

Varitek said:

the u2.com vid that is now on youtube where he talks about it and then forgets the words is what gave me that impression.

Oh yeah, that video was frankly embarrassing. I felt bad for the guy just watching it.

The Sad Punk said:

Holy fuck! That's unreal. I'd say it's awesome in a whole different way. The haka is good in a primal FUCK YOU way, but this is good in a hey bitch I can do this lol way.

poster25625044.jpg

Alisaura said:

I'm thinking of doing the 12-month working holiday visa in the UK before I get too old for it.... :hmm:

if you're there while i'm there we can visit each other! that goes for anyone. i've got a friend who'll be working in london as well who i haven't seen in some years.

i put in my extended interview section of my profile that i'm a u2 nut and if they tour i'll be taking some of my vacation to follow them. just so the families are forewarned.

WHY AREN'T YOUTUBE VIDS WORKING FOR ME??

Varitek said:
yeah. being an au pair would be a weird change of pace and change of plans, but it also sounds really, really nice for a little less than a year. the families all sound great and i love kids, and i need to learn french, and i'd have some time to write, and etc. etc. I've got a lot of interest in me out of Geneva because my profile's got my education and career interests, and right now (in the early stages of talking to families) I already feel like I'll have trouble deciding between 2-5 wonderful families. One's offering $600 a month plus french tuition, so I think I'll try and make that my standard unless I hear something better.
Wow! That sounds great... I have some friends in the UK who have an au pair, they've had people from France and Poland and all over the place. Sounds like a great way to see a place and get into the culture, as long as you don't mind cleaning and kids and stuff...

Alisaura said:

I've only listened to Wave of Sorrow about twice. :huh: It just doesn't grab me, musically or lyrically... :reject:

i definitely like rise up and desert of our love better. i remember getting the cd, after all hte WOS hype, and thinking "wtf the other 2 are better"

The Sad Punk said:
Whoa, that sounds sweet (though it's pretty cool seeing the opposition bite their lips and shit their shorts while the haka is going on). Any videos of it on Youtube?

Sucks about you missing it, but don't worry. Around 2001 I arrived at Footy Park where the Eagles were coming out of their bus, and I forgot a texta. So the first time I see any of them up close, I can't even get their autographs.

Oh well, I made up for it later. I'm sure you will too.

I've never looked for it on YouTube - my search powers there seem to really suck!

Ooh, that's got to suck.

To tell the truth, I kinda prefer watching the Haka on TV. I've seen it against the Tongans on telly and it's been great - you can actually hear them! You can't hear them at the venue itself, at least not if you're up high like I always am.

Varitek said:

i don't know anyone, just in contact with some lovely families via an au pair finding website. it's a really international city which would be fun for networking, meeting interesting men :shifty: and then of course it's close to other great places.

i am so jealous of anyone with eu citizenship. i tried to get it through the holocaust remittance acts and i would have succeeded if i had a grandfather and not a grandmother who'd come out. :angry: at sexist citizenship laws.

Very nice, although if you were, uh, meeting interesting men you'd probably end up going to their place most of the time, I'd say.

Alisaura said:

Wow! That sounds great... I have some friends in the UK who have an au pair, they've had people from France and Poland and all over the place. Sounds like a great way to see a place and get into the culture, as long as you don't mind cleaning and kids and stuff...

i absolutely love kids. mostly the cleaning seems to be tidying up after them, which the good parents all want you to get the kids to do with you, obviously. and laundry, which i hate doing now because it's 3 stories down but wouldn't be bad with a little u2 on and such. cooking i love, so that's cool, and a chance to get better at it especially because i've really only cooked for myself before.

Axver said:

I mainly just hate the end. It ruins the whole song.

Agreed. It sounds like a fucking mess. Parts of the song display a good example of the restraint in Bono's current voice that I find almost unbearable to listen to, I think it's the "wave of sorrow" at the end of each part of the chorus. That's a poor description of what and where it is, but it's fairly distinguishable.

Axver said:

I mainly just hate the end. It ruins the whole song.

Oh, you mean the "oh shit we've run out of things to sing about for the last minute or so" bit? Yeah, that really does suck.

major_panic said:

Very nice, although if you were, uh, meeting interesting men you'd probably end up going to their place most of the time, I'd say.

ha. the live in arrangements all seem nice - room and bathroom that you might share when the family has a guest (share the bathroom not the room), most have in-room tv and internet (yes i'll still be on the blue crack, complaining about the nappies) and some have a seperate entrance. i dunno how late i can stay out in geneva, as in, how good public transit is so i'm hoping for a centrally located family (i don't mind walking 20 minutes in a safe city after a night out either). and yeah, i'd hope to have a guy or two or ten who could bring me to his place.

the one thing is, i think i'll probably be way more intellectual than other au pairs, so i dunno where i'll make friends, because if i were working a normal job i'd be like, dude vazza, you're an au pair, loser, i don't wanna be your friend. so yes, i'm prejudiced against myself/others in the job.

The Sad Punk said:
edit: Oh my god, did you notice he's not even wearing a shirt. That's too much, Bono - you're not a man of abs.

Remember these?

Blur.jpg

Jen.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom