Wendy-cum-Jolly, Hertfordshire Superthread - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #751
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,041
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Your B+ for me last time was a huge surprise. Higher than that this time would surprise me even more.
The fact that even with the bands I'm not keen on, you've used songs I comparatively like (excluding Eleanor) puts you in good stead. The Gorillaz track surprised me. I expected it to suck, but it just passed me by with little fuss and now I'm onto Always Forever Now's awesomeness.

I said to LMP last time that A is reserved for lists that I really like both in terms of cohesion and song selection. B is for lists where I either really like the songs but think the cohesion is somewhat lacking, or lists where the cohesion is amazing but I don't really dig the songs so much.

Right now, you are in A territory.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #752
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The fact that even with the bands I'm not keen on, you've used songs I comparatively like (excluding Eleanor) puts you in good stead. The Gorillaz track surprised me. I expected it to suck, but it just passed me by with little fuss and now I'm onto Always Forever Now's awesomeness.

I said to LMP last time that A is reserved for lists that I really like both in terms of cohesion and song selection. B is for lists where I either really like the songs but think the cohesion is somewhat lacking, or lists where the cohesion is amazing but I don't really dig the songs so much.

Right now, you are in A territory.
I'm anticipating getting a B. I have a feeling you will have mixed feelings about some of the song quality in the second half.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 AM   #753
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'm anticipating getting a B. I have a feeling you will have mixed feelings about some of the song quality in the second half.
That's where things fell apart for me, to be honest. I think I ended up giving you:

Flow: A-
Song enjoyment: B
Overall: B+
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 AM   #754
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,041
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Always Forever Now --> Willing is the weakest segue so far, and in fact the only one I've even really noticed in any negative way. But I'm not saying it's bad or jarring or anything. The fact I like both songs helps. I think the comparative volume of the songs is what harms the segue most; if AFN were louder or Willing quieter, the segue's negative qualities would stand out less.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:42 AM   #755
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Always Forever Now --> Willing is the weakest segue so far, and in fact the only one I've even really noticed in any negative way. But I'm not saying it's bad or jarring or anything. The fact I like both songs helps. I think the comparative volume of the songs is what harms the segue most; if AFN were louder or Willing quieter, the segue's negative qualities would stand out less.
On a recent list I made, I fixed the sound volumes so they're all about even. I don't believe that's illegal.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:42 AM   #756
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,041
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'm anticipating getting a B. I have a feeling you will have mixed feelings about some of the song quality in the second half.
See, I'm looking forward to the second half. PF, Queen, The Who, The Police, and REM should all be good. Pearl Jam have their moments.

I am nervous about your closing trio.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 AM   #757
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Always Forever Now --> Willing is the weakest segue so far, and in fact the only one I've even really noticed in any negative way. But I'm not saying it's bad or jarring or anything. The fact I like both songs helps. I think the comparative volume of the songs is what harms the segue most; if AFN were louder or Willing quieter, the segue's negative qualities would stand out less.
Agreed. I think the volume magnifies it.

The guitar tone of Ours immediately reminded me of early The Edge sound, hence the next transition.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #758
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,041
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
On a recent list I made, I fixed the sound volumes so they're all about even. I don't believe that's illegal.
No, that's legal. I just don't know how to do it myself, or I'd apply it to my lists.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #759
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
See, I'm looking forward to the second half. PF, Queen, The Who, The Police, and REM should all be good. Pearl Jam have their moments.

I am nervous about your closing trio.
Oh, I know, it's the closing trio plus Genesis and Steely Dan I think you wouldn't dig too much.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #760
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,041
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Agreed. I think the volume magnifies it.

The guitar tone of Ours immediately reminded me of early The Edge sound, hence the next transition.
And the volume problem strikes again. Willing --> Rejoice would be so much better if they were the same volume. Otherwise, good pairing. And fuck, I love Rejoice.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #761
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:22 PM
YLB's original DI5 list had Rejoice also, which we both thought was funny.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #762
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
And the volume problem strikes again. Willing --> Rejoice would be so much better if they were the same volume. Otherwise, good pairing. And fuck, I love Rejoice.
The same thing happened when LMP paired Like Eating Glass with Rejoice on his DI5. That song was recorded SO quietly.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #763
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Rejoice > So Divided continues the volume problem, if I recall.

Oh shit, yeah.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #764
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Dare I mention that Piano Lessons used to be on Pfan's list?

That song wouldn't fit anywhere. I'm serious. It's the last 10 seconds of the song that made it a potential playlist killer.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #765
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Dare I mention that Piano Lessons used to be on Pfan's list?

That song wouldn't fit anywhere. I'm serious. It's the last 10 seconds of the song that made it a potential playlist killer.
It would be fine if they hadn't taken the last 28 seconds of the song and made it a separate track for absolutely no reason.

Literally the only reason Porcupine Tree isn't on this playlist.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com