Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #781
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Air Conditioning!!!, that does not exist in this house.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #782
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:02 AM

It's a great question, isn't it? Most Christians'd just say that the point of life is to serve God and to bring others to God; then you think "wait, if God made us, then why such a circuitous route?"

Sometimes I just reckon it's like this: God made us. Why? I don't know. He got bored or lonely. Lonely would be my best guess, although it's probably blasphemy to say so, and loneliness within a trinity's kinda weird. Let's say, then, He wanted something different.

After He made us, the fall from grace happened, and man had to be chucked out of Eden. (this is, of course, going along with classical Christianity's belief in Eden and all that) After that, God realised what His children had become, but was unwilling to terminate them, and respected their free will too much to just make them come to Him.

So, we get the Bible and what happened therein. A long story of man trying to find the "missing link within" which most define as God. Finally God gets tired of seeing man endlessly struggle to reach His level and sends His son down.

To cut a long story short, I think we were created for companionship with God, something went wrong, and now life consists of trying to get back there because God respects free will too much to interfere.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #783
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Pentecostal, really? I must admit I'm surprised, as I wouldn't have guessed that. Everything I've seen about Pentecostal churches just sounds scary. All loud and dramatic, and although I don't want to paint with a broad brush, I've met a lot of Pentecostals with very questionable theology.

I honestly just expected you to be Anglican or Uniting or Baptist or something "regular Protestant" like that.

I, for the record, when I was a Christian generally considered myself an Anglican, though I had no strong denominational leanings.
I go to a church that's, really, Pentecostal in worship structure, but very strict Protestant (Baptist) with regards to theology. The reason I continue with my church is because the theology's more sound than any other church I've met so far.

Regular Pentecostal churches really worry me; have you met anyone from Planetshakers or Hillsong before? I shudder at the thought of them.

I'd say that Anglicans are pretty cool, even if their original church was just created as a means to control the country and the government and because their King was a spoilt brat at the time.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #784
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002
Hey! Didn't know you were here, how's it going?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #785
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

Hey! Didn't know you were here, how's it going?
I've been half lurking. I'm bloody hot, how are you?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #786
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Nor mine. I'm glad about that, though. My power bill is bad enough as it is, especially as Ali refuses to give me free electricity.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #787
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I've been half lurking. I'm bloody hot, how are you?
Bloody hot as well, and trying to get some old-school good music: Dark Side of the Moon, Forty Licks and Ziggy Stardust.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #788
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Nor mine. I'm glad about that, though. My power bill is bad enough as it is, especially as Ali refuses to give me free electricity.
Its a bugger isn't it. How sleepable is your room?, Its usually not cool enough for me to sleep till like 1:30 most nights.....

I don't know about tonight though.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #789
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
Sometimes I just reckon it's like this: God made us. Why? I don't know. He got bored or lonely. Lonely would be my best guess, although it's probably blasphemy to say so, and loneliness within a trinity's kinda weird. Let's say, then, He wanted something different.
This is sort of what I had thought of, when I was still a believer. But under more thought, it just didn't work for me. What company do we give Him? Those of us in Heaven? Why weren't people just born there instead?

I have the impression that, if there is a God or any sort of higher spirit that has human emotion or something comparing to, they are incredibly insecure and lonely. But if there is a god, or gods, or whatever, I don't think it would ever be for us to know how and why we are here, why the universe is here, and so forth.

We have organized religion to provide answers, but I found myself asking questions all the time before I decided to be agnostic. (Not to say that I didn't think I had faith, I had a lot of it and still have faith, but not in anything in particular).

Oh and it's still madly boiling here. I couldn't type at all for a while because my hands were too sweaty even when doing absolutely nothing.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #790
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Bloody hot as well, and trying to get some old-school good music: Dark Side of the Moon, Forty Licks and Ziggy Stardust.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #791
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
This is sort of what I had thought of, when I was still a believer. But under more thought, it just didn't work for me. What company do we give Him? Those of us in Heaven? Why weren't people just born there instead?
I have no idea, to be honest - it's one of the mysteries of religion. Why the hell would any sort of deity want us anyway?

I guess it may be a bit like humans having pets to keep them company? And, of course, the Religious Trinity (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) explain people being born on Earth due to the fall and Eve's manipulation by Satan into eating from the Tree of Knowledge.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #792
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Oh and it's still madly boiling here. I couldn't type at all for a while because my hands were too sweaty even when doing absolutely nothing.
The Australian has an article on its website about how SA has had something like 35 degree heat for over 5 consecutive days. I feel for y'all.

Man when I used to live in Asia, it was this hot, but it wasn't this hot, know what I'm saying?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #793
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Touche!

(By the way, that's another Bad Christian point for you. Reading Douglas Adams, the great atheist? )

Quote:
It's a great question, isn't it? Most Christians'd just say that the point of life is to serve God and to bring others to God; then you think "wait, if God made us, then why such a circuitous route?"
Yep. That's the usual bullshit answer I get from most Christians. I wonder if they've ever thought about how much of an egotistical wanker that makes God out to be. He made us just to serve him and promote his glory? Wow, how self-absorbed can you get?

Quote:
I find this an interesting argument in that it could be taken to imply a defect within God at some level, i.e. that God was not completely fulfilled, that God lacked something essential. Certainly it's a point that does not entirely fit with the traditional conceptualisation of God as a supremely perfect being in need of nothing.

Quote:
After He made us, the fall from grace happened, and man had to be chucked out of Eden. (this is, of course, going along with classical Christianity's belief in Eden and all that) After that, God realised what His children had become, but was unwilling to terminate them, and respected their free will too much to just make them come to Him.
I should state that even as a Christian, I came to stop believing in the concept of sin. I think it is a very crude explanatory tool to understand human finitude. Within a Christian paradigm, I see the gulf between humanity and God not as that of sinners and sinless, but between finitude, with all of its mortality and defects, and infinitude.

All in all, I find your take to be well thought out, and much better than most stock Christian responses. I think I've already made it clear that I do not think all opinions were created equal and that some are blatantly ridiculous. I don't think yours is, despite the inclusion of a concept that I do find improbable, bordering on the ridiculous (that is the existence of a deity).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #794
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Yeah, but I never exactly subscribed to that story, unless metaphorically (which I took and still take most of the Old Testament as).

I know there's an answer, I'll never find it though.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #795
Blue Crack Supplier

Oooh, theology discussion!

Tags
superthread