Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_man2002 said:
I was on a high till the end of the tour I think. 2006 for me was a mostly wasted, and bad year for me. It's a bit of a long story. But U2 topped off a fucking fantastic ending to the year.
:hug:

I don't think I was really aware of it at the time, but I'd been having a pretty shitty time through '05 and '06, in an understated, non-dramatic sort of way. Those shows were a revelation... and kind of a turning point. And last year I had my trip, which I'd been planning for a year, as well... I paid for the plane ticket the same week of the concerts here. Thank god for birthday money or I'd never have survived November '06, financially speaking! :lol:

And I found my way back to the blue crack, too :wink:

Whatever it was, I think things started getting better after the shows. :up:

..... *doesn't have the Boston DVD yet* :reject:
Every time I see it in a shop it's like $55, and I can never quite justify spending that much at the time.... :(

Mind you, if I'm paying $70 to see a band I'd never heard of a month ago, maybe I should reassess that. :lol:

bono_man2002 said:
Hehe.

Most of the guys I work with think I'm crazying for seeing U2 7 times in America, and then even just twice in Australia.

C'mon!, Nobody understands the U2 freak within!....embrace the U2 Freak!

:rockon:

I tend to downplay the fact I saw 10 shows and run U2VT. My resume says that I run a website with over 7,000 daily visitors, but does not mention what the website is about! I fear "a U2 setlist archive" would put potential employers off!

Axver said:
I'm sorry, but :lol:! Could be worse - I remember reading about a guy on my native Kapiti Coast who was just riding his bike down the road when a magpie attacked him and ripped his nose off. :yikes:

I read that when I was about eight and I've been wary of magpies ever since.

Holy god! I didn't know they were even capable of that.

Luckily, I'm actually pretty good pals with most of the magpies back on my street in my hometown. At least one large family comes to our backyard everyday and we feed them catfood. They've done this for a few years now, and I haven't been swooped in that area once since.

Axver said:
As I was sending it, I was wondering what you made of my little comments along the way to everybody else, all of whom were there, like about how the next song is "Flower Child - they've simply got to realise this is fake now!"
I was basically thinking "What, people actually think this is real?!?!"

:lol:

major_panic said:
All I learned about them in high school was how they'd been subjugated. Nothing really about their culture, lifestyle, anything.

Yep. "Some Europeans rocked up. The Aborigines caught diseases off them. They tried to protect their land but got shot. Now let's learn the names of the earliest Governors!"

And man, the Liechtenstein stuff, I laughed so hard when I first opened the thread after it'd been locked. I still can't believe people actually fell for it.

I KNOW. "I red it on teh Intarwebz, so it must be tr00!!!1!1!!11onetreehillwasplayed" Seriously, people, use your critical faculties! 11 O'clock Tick Tock, The Unforgettable Fire, Flower Child, Mercy, Exit, Please, Seconds?! Save The Whalers?! KUNSTMUSEUM LIECHTENSTEIN?!

major_panic said:

And you people think that Asian, Aboriginal and African people eat weird stuff...

:wink:

So, what weird stuff do you plan to introduce me to? :wink:

I just opened the Lichtenstein thread, 'cause I never actually read the whole thing :)(). But then I also opened that Drugs thread, since it was right next to it, and now I'm reading that instead. What a great time that was in EYKIW, no matter how brief.

The Sad Punk said:
Luckily, I'm actually pretty good pals with most of the magpies back on my street in my hometown. At least one large family comes to our backyard everyday and we feed them catfood. They've done this for a few years now, and I haven't been swooped in that area once since.
That's pretty cool! :up: I love magpies, and birds in general... dad gave me a book about the magpie recently and it's really interesting. I saw two of them in C'maine doing the face-off thing an inch apart, warbling in each others' faces on some invisible territorial boundary line... :giggle:

I never saw any magpies in our back yard here until a week ago! I was so happy to see them :lol: :nerd:
I will always be impressed by a creature than can HEAR WORMS MOVING UNDERGROUND, especially while being so close to a major road. :ohmy:

Alisaura said:
Every time I see it in a shop it's like $55, and I can never quite justify spending that much at the time.... :(

Mind you, if I'm paying $70 to see a band I'd never heard of a month ago, maybe I should reassess that. :lol:

There's a difference though - $55 for a DVD is a ripoff, while $70 for a gig isn't! Hell, I could just burn the Boston DVD for you if you want.

And if I can crack any copy protection it's likely to have ...

Axver said:
I KNOW. "I red it on teh Intarwebz, so it must be tr00!!!1!1!!11onetreehillwasplayed" Seriously, people, use your critical faculties! 11 O'clock Tick Tock, The Unforgettable Fire, Flower Child, Mercy, Exit, Please, Seconds?! Save The Whalers?! KUNSTMUSEUM LIECHTENSTEIN?!
Breathe, Ax.... :wink:
That's gonna wind you up for months, isn't it... at least until the new album :giggle:

Axver said:

So, what weird stuff do you plan to introduce me to? :wink:

I personally don't and haven't really eaten much weird stuff - the weirdest you'll get is probably some extremelly spicy beef, or similar.

Actually for everyone here, I'd recommend getting Szechuan cold sliced beef in chilli. It's absolutely amazingly awesome.

Although I have eaten pigeons, snake, snails and frogs. But French people eat them anyway, so :shrug:

Alisaura said:

I don't think I was really aware of it at the time, but I'd been having a pretty shitty time through '05 and '06, in an understated, non-dramatic sort of way. Those shows were a revelation... and kind of a turning point. And last year I had my trip, which I'd been planning for a year, as well... I paid for the plane ticket the same week of the concerts here. Thank god for birthday money or I'd never have survived November '06, financially speaking! :lol:

Absolutely! It was quite easily the single greatest way for me to get over the stress of final high school exams and the grief of leaving all my friends.

Alisaura said:

I was basically thinking "What, people actually think this is real?!?!"

You and the rest of us! I still just cannot believe that thing went on as long as it did. Just ... wow.

I've learnt my lesson: however gullible I expect people to be, they are 10x moreso!

Alisaura said:

I remember the start of 2005 being awesome with the whole U2 tour thing, then the dissapointment of the "delay" of the tour...then the official announcement , and then going to america...well fuck that was such a great time looking back. I should have done so much more with my time (IE: stalking U2, visiting the sights).

I would love to go back next tour, but Life has changed a lot since then, I'd have to get time off work, and money is a bit of an issue at times.

Then the end of 2005, I finished year 12 and Didn't go great in exams, but I wasn't exactly aiming for Uni (I still don't know what I wanna do with my life)...I still passed and everything....

2006 started promising, with my IT course. Until the hours and the whole getting up at 5am, getting home at 7pm killed me. I think it would have been okay if I was doing full time work, But I didn't have the energy to study at the end of the day. I drove 2 hours home on Friday night to relax and enjoy myself. (Now Life is quite the opposite.)

Was also supposed to go visit a girl who I used to go to school with (and Liked very much at the time) Oversea's, that didn't happen due to lack of funds and parental help.....

I failed to finish my IT course completly, I don't know what it was/is with me. I've never been a good learner, well, I'm not good at taking it all in. Anyway then there was the whole U2 delayed dates thing......Are they coming, aren't they coming?.....I knew they would eventually come, it would just be a matter of when.

So fast Forward to November 2006...What a Great time, my only regret was not going to more shows, that I had planned to go to at the start of the year....but then got rid of my tickets because it was just not doable at the time.

Life is a hell of a a lot better now though. So I'll stop crapping on, this isn't Zoo Confessionals!

The Boston DVD has been $55 or so for so long its NOT FUNNY!. I mean the Chicago DVD is now like $15 at JB. What Gives?..

Mum thought I was crazy spending $55 on a DVD back then....well that started the whole crazy ride. Now she loves the U2.

Alisaura said:
I will always be impressed by a creature than can HEAR WORMS MOVING UNDERGROUND, especially while being so close to a major road. :ohmy:

... woah. That's AWESOME.

Though if you ask me, the ultimate bird is Haast's eagle.

Axver said:

I tend to downplay the fact I saw 10 shows and run U2VT. My resume says that I run a website with over 7,000 daily visitors, but does not mention what the website is about! I fear "a U2 setlist archive" would put potential employers off!

well I probably wouldn't bother including eyeofthefly.net (Which I wonder if the site I co-ran still operates!) on my resume.

Alisaura said:

Breathe, Ax.... :wink:
That's gonna wind you up for months, isn't it... at least until the new album :giggle:

:lol: Well, I've got to have something to keep me wound up, don't I? This forum wouldn't be quite the same otherwise. :wink:

Hahaha, holy shit - Lichtenstein is fucking hilarious. :lmao:

The best parts, of course, is when people not in on it come in and are all "is this true, ax? coz ur th autority on u3 n so it muzt b r u rekordinzit??" and man, that is so wacky.

More magpie fun: My cousins had a pet Magpie they raised from birth (she had been kicked out of the nest by her mum :() and it was incredibly friendly, and played with their dogs. It also acted like a dog. I have a lot of love in my heart for magpies.

Alisaura said:

Chuck Norris doesn't hear worms moving underground. Why? Cause they all die when he goes near them.

I was gonna make it a Jackie Chan joke, but couldn't figure out a good way to.

Axver said:

... woah. That's AWESOME.

Though if you ask me, the ultimate bird is Haast's eagle.

Oh fuck yes.

haasts_eagle__moa.jpg

major_panic said:

I personally don't and haven't really eaten much weird stuff - the weirdest you'll get is probably some extremelly spicy beef, or similar.

Actually for everyone here, I'd recommend getting Szechuan cold sliced beef in chilli. It's absolutely amazingly awesome.

Although I have eaten pigeons, snake, snails and frogs. But French people eat them anyway, so :shrug:

Oh man, "spicy", now there's a subjective term. My neighbour used to be this cool Indian guy, an engineering student at Melbourne University. One day he brought me some traditional Indian food his uncle had made and said "it's not very spicy at all". It nearly blew the back of my mouth out! I'm not Mr Spicy Foods. My hot Hungarian salami from the Coles deli is quite enough.

I'd be quite happy to try snake, though I imagine it's tough and nasty. Snails and frogs, hell no. Pigeon ... well, I just can't help but get this mental image of shooting one of the surely diseased bastards on Swanston Street and tucking into it rather than frequenting Macca's.

Probably that's a more healthy lunch too, coming to think of it!

bono_man2002 said:

Thats never difficult to do.

I haven't burnt any DVD, let alone a copy-protected one, in over three years though! Remembering how is going to be a small challenge.

Axver said:

Oh man, "spicy", now there's a subjective term. My neighbour used to be this cool Indian guy, an engineering student at Melbourne University. One day he brought me some traditional Indian food his uncle had made and said "it's not very spicy at all". It nearly blew the back of my mouth out! I'm not Mr Spicy Foods. My hot Hungarian salami from the Coles deli is quite enough.

I'd be quite happy to try snake, though I imagine it's tough and nasty. Snails and frogs, hell no. Pigeon ... well, I just can't help but get this mental image of shooting one of the surely diseased bastards on Swanston Street and tucking into it rather than frequenting Macca's.

Probably that's a more healthy lunch too, coming to think of it!

Spicy IS definitely a subjective term. Although the dish I recommended does come with a three-chilli rating (the maximum usually) on the menus of everywhere I've seen it!

Snake I can't really remember. Snail's quite nice, but obviously you've gotta get the bred ones. Frog's great, a bit like chicken though. Pigeon was also really interesting, if a bit tough (it was in Malaysia, so probably more diseased than here).

Axver said:

I haven't burnt any DVD, let alone a copy-protected one, in over three years though! Remembering how is going to be a small challenge.

Ah ok....Ermmmm Try DVD Shrink. It works best, But I haven't used it in about the same length of time that you burn't your last DVD!

bono_man2002 said:

well I probably wouldn't bother including eyeofthefly.net (Which I wonder if the site I co-ran still operates!) on my resume.

:lol: No, it's gone! I actually had a guy who used to post there contact me on my Wikipedia Talk page, though!

The Sad Punk said:
Oh fuck yes.

haasts_eagle__moa.jpg
I was just trying to remember why Haast's Eagle sounded familiar...

That's right... it was the GIANT EAGLE THAT FRICKIN ATE MOAS.

MOAS!!

:rockon:

David Attenborough's Life of Birds... :love: :bow:

My friends in England met him recently at a book signing.... :jealous:

From the Wikipedia article on Haast's Eagle:

The strong legs and massive flight muscles would have enabled the birds to take off with a jumping start from the ground, despite their great weight. The tail was almost certainly long (up to 50 cm (20 inches), in female specimens) and very broad, further increasing manoeuverability and providing additional lift. Total length was perhaps up to 1.4 m (4.7 ft) in females, with a standing height of around 90 cm (about 3 ft) tall or even slightly more. Haast's Eagle preyed on large, flightless bird species, including the moa which was up to 15 times its weight. It attacked at speeds up to 80 km per hour (50 mph), often seizing its prey's pelvis with the talons of one foot and killing with a blow to the head or neck with the other.

HOLY CRAP, why hasn't anyone formed a martial art style based off this animal yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom