Virgin, Utah Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what song sounds really good? Gloria. I'm listening to it right now. :drool:

Aside from the decision to use electric violin on Sunday Bloody Sunday ... the production on the first three albums is great.

And the fourth, I might add.

Yeah, I don't get why this forum slags it off so much. I rank it as one of HTDAAB's top three songs, with COBL and OSC. Wish it had been done live more.

We're definitely not going to agree much on the newer stuff, but yeah, I don't get the slagging of it either.

I would really really like One Step Closer if it weren't for Bono pulling a TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT and repeating the title ad infinitum towards the end. That grates on me.

We're definitely not going to agree much on the newer stuff, but yeah, I don't get the slagging of it either.

I would really really like One Step Closer if it weren't for Bono pulling a TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT and repeating the title ad infinitum towards the end. That grates on me.

IN THIS TOWN
IN THIS TOWN
IN THIS TOWN
IN THIS TOWN

I actually like OSC quite a lot, and AMAAW.

Aside from the decision to use electric violin on Sunday Bloody Sunday ... the production on the first three albums is great.

And the fourth, I might add.

Honestly, I'd say SBS is a prime candidate for "worst produced track" from the first three albums. Surrender provides stiff competition, though.

The female vocals on Red Light and Surrender are bad.

Boy and October are both better produced than War.

I actually like OSC quite a lot, and AMAAW.

AMAAW isn't bad.

I'd rank HTDAAB thus:
(Smile
Native Son)
1. One Step Closer
2. City Of Blinding Lights
(Fast Cars)
3. Crumbs From Your Table
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. A Man And A Woman
... then the rest all kinda sucks. I can't rank it. They're all just songs I'd never play.

All Live versions of HTDAAB were superior to the album. Aside from maybe Miracle Drug. And The first few performances of LAPOE I saw.

Yeah, I think Miracle Drug joins the Pride Club of rarely, if ever, being as good as its studio version.

André, how come you haven't reached 50,000 yet? I thought you were gonna do it over the weekend?:waiting:

Because this place was a little quiet last night. I thought I'd strike the 50,000 about 12 hours ago!

But I'm glad I didn't, as I still have fuck-all idea what to do for my 50,000th post. I feel like it should be something good, but I've no ideas except to intentionally waste it.

Because this place was a little quiet last night. I thought I'd strike the 50,000 about 12 hours ago!

But I'm glad I didn't, as I still have fuck-all idea what to do for my 50,000th post. I feel like it should be something good, but I've no ideas except to intentionally waste it.

Kuntmuseum Night II? :hmm:

Pull out notAxver for a while, then, I'd say. Or have a flame war between Axver and notAxver.

I still enjoy Vertigo. Fucking rocked when it came out, and it's still fun when the time calls for it.

Miracle Drug is...well...not that great, but Edge absolutely owns that song. His soloing and the verse he sings are among the best moments of the album.

I'm tired of Sometimes, and it has lost its emotional edge for me, but it's still a fine song.

LAPOE is fun to crank up whenever, but the lyrics are shoddy. Production is good though.

COBL is fantastic, always has been, and always will be, but the production is indeed terrible.

All Because Of You is, like Vertigo, fun when the time calls for it.

AMAAW is fantastic and unusual for the band.

Crumbs is, outside of its lyrics, a knockout.

OSC has great atmosphere and lyrics but isn't a favorite of mine.

Original is atrocious, but better live...I guess.

Yahweh should have been acoustic. I'm sorry, but the album version sounds like Enya covering U2.

So, to continue where we left off, I'll join in with LM in giving my opinion on HTDAAB tracks individually.

Vertigo: Complete throwaway. It rules as Native Son, but as Vertigo, it just ... doesn't make sense. Bono's whole presentation is vapid and the song has no real meaningful qualities.

Miracle Drug: Long since lost its punch with me. It just feels weak, and the solo section is wishy-washy and goes nowhere.

SYCMIOYO: Snoozefest.

LAPOE: Would be awesome without such cheesy lyrics.

COBL: Production is shit and lyrics should be better, but it's one of the best songs of the 2000s from U2.

ABOY: Would be a decent rocker if it were more like the alternate version.

AMAAW: Fun, something a bit different. Worth the time of day.

Crumbs: Traditional Edge guitar, and at least has some lyrical substance despite clunky expression.

One Step Closer: Great atmosphere, the one truly atmospheric track of the album. Brilliant song.

Original Of The Species: Twinkly poppy shit. Was it written for a boyband?

Yahweh: Hideous production renders it unlistenable, and it's overly preachy. It's not a Gloria kind of song, like "yeah, this is what I think". It feels more like "let me smack you about the head with what I think".

I'm just about to head out for a bit but I have a question for you Ax. Do you actually like U2 at all??:huh:

For those of you who just made a few posts here in the last 10 minutes, I apologize, they were lost because of the database transfer..

Where the hell did our posts since the forum came back online go? Looks like we just lost ten or so. :huh:

Edit: And the question gets answered just as I post. :laugh:

I'm just about to head out for a bit but I have a question for you Ax. Do you actually like U2 at all??:huh:

1978-1990 U2 is one of my favourite bands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom