Useful punishments for students - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissMaCo

Poll : have you ever cheated in class ? Not copying on your classmate but really cheating with your book opened on your knees for instance ?

oh come on some teachers just ask for it!

Old 09-17-2004, 08:32 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

Yes but imagine your child is wrongly punished for something at school or the teacher takes a disliking to them for no reason but helps the pupils he/she likes and lets your child fall behind even if it hasn't done anything. You would be angry too. Especially if it had been happening a long time before you had heard anything about it. I dont think holding someone back is really a good idea to try and motivate them. If I had a teacher who had held me back I would have been even more discouraged to do my work.
Lara, I think the big difference (at least what I'm feeling from this thread) is that in the States we grade students much more objectively. Like I said before, once you reach age 11 or so, everything is graded on points. It doesn't matter who you are. If you do your homework, you get 10 out of 10 points. If you turn it in late, you get 5 out of 10 pts, etc. So at the end of the semester, if you don't have 65% of all the points, you failed the class and have to take it over. It just not possible for a teacher to have a grudge on someone and hold them back b/c if the student tallied enough points to pass, he passes. No one is ever "punished" for anything. It's your choice to do the homework or not do the homework or do a half assed job, but then you get the point score you deserve. For example, sometimes I say to myself "I'd rather go out tonight and to me, it's worth getting 0/10 on this homework". The teachers at my schools also had no way of choosing who they helped. Most kids have one study hall a day which is a class period where you work on homework and projects and if you need help, you get a pass and go visit the teachers you want to help you. If a kid doesn't have a study hall period and still needs help, then it's his/her responsibility to contact the teacher and meet with the teacher for extra help. They can't say "sorry, I refuse to help you" or they'd lose their job! Besides, once your 11 and up, you're really taking lots of classes so even if you get held back in one, it's not the same as moving back a grade level. My bro in high school (he's 17) failed two of his classes, so all he has to do is take them over in time to graduate with his class. Everyone is taking tons of different classes with people of many ages so failing a class or two isn't really that devastating.

It's not fair to pass a kid b/c you feel sorry for them and the kid can't do anything his peers can. The kid will just get frusterated and lack confidence and have NO motivation to try and catch up.
This is how the public schools in my city are. They pass kids just like you want and these kids get to high school and still can't even read. One of the big public high schools has the EASIEST grading scale ever (90-100% = A) and yet only half of their students graduate.

Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #78
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:16 PM
The one point that has been touched on but not really brought to the front here is parent involvement. If you've got a student who regularly misses their homework, I think it'd definitely be worth it to talk to the parents. Express your concern that their child hasn't been turning in their homework, and you're concerned because homework does affect the overall grade (right?). It might even help to ask if perhaps there's something going on in the kid's life just to show to the parents that you're genuinely interested in the kid and his/her education, but make it clear that continued poor performance will be reflected in their grades.

This encourages the parents to become more involved with their child's education, plus it gives that child another source of motivation (even if it is to stop their parents from nagging them ). I'd also sit down with the student one-on-one and express your concern directly to him/her. Let them know that the homework serves a purpose beyond busy work, and express the same concern that continued poor performance in homework will have a negative effect on their overall grade. They'll probably be a bit apathetic at first, but if you show that you're genuinely interested in their education and overall well-being (while still remaining firm on your rules), you may be surprised by their willingness to improve.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
another question for you :
what's the best behaviour when finding out a student cheating ?
I tell my students that I will rip their test into tiny pieces if they cheat. When someone does cheat I do rip it up and give them a zero. I would say it's embarrassing. Students don't cheat after that.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:16 PM
If we cheat, not only do we get a zero, but probably outright fail the class. The administration is contacted and they are the ones who deal with the punishment. Same goes for plagarism.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:21 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:16 PM
First test this morning : no cheating !
Old 09-18-2004, 09:22 AM   #82
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Old 09-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

they couldnt stop staring at the teacher?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomer
they couldnt stop staring at the teacher?

They had to make a physical description of someone famous. One student had the picture of Sarah Michelle Gellar and he wrote... "she is beautiful like the teacher !"

Old 09-18-2004, 12:11 PM   #85
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Smart kid!
Old 09-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

did he gat an A?
Old 09-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He won't get an A (in France we don't use the letter system) for he has lots of mistakes like : She is blue eyes, she has tall and slim...
Old 09-18-2004, 12:18 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

did he get a one?

we use numbers too
Old 09-18-2004, 12:23 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

one is a very bad mark

10/10 or 20/20 are excellent
Old 09-18-2004, 11:01 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
He won't get an A (in France we don't use the letter system) for he has lots of mistakes like : She is blue eyes, she has tall and slim...
You found my old English test