Useful punishments for students - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomer

if im really humiliated ill do my homework next time

note that this remark comes from a 16 years old student !!!

Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:11 AM
I wouldn't get them to sing a song. Maybe getting them to do extra excercises or something

My friend makes everyone write an essay if they don't do their homework 4 or 5 times, whateevr the school states as the maximum times someone can get away with not handing their homework in. The last essay they had to write was: "A day in the life of a handbag".
I liked that.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMaCo

whats that supposed to mean?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:07 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

oh at greek lessons someone didnt do his homework at all and he compensated it with pie
not the way to go either but its nice for once
Old 09-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hmmm, some lessons about homeless people or a excursion to a mindkilling factory. Maybe taking more test as planned so the pupils need to learn for a better grade but single one out would be a bad idea. Anyway, i think you are better off asking other teachers right now.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ask the students
Old 09-16-2004, 08:13 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 09-16-2004, 08:17 AM   #38
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissMaCo
indeed.

but just out of curiousity, tomer, why aren't you in school right now?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomer
ask the students
I don't think that would work. You would probably just get a lot of "Don't give us homework" answers. But then again, I'm not a teacher, so what do I know?

I think Rono's got the best idea. Talk to some of your fellow teachers. I'm sure it's a common problem for all of them.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Missing assignments shows up on the grades record (keep in mind, my current experience is only through 3rd grade (for my son, not me)).

In higher grades, the best way to encourage completion of homework is dread pop quiz.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #41
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
there IS a punishment for students who fail to live up to their responsibilities - it's called failing the grade. hold a student back while his classmates advance, and he'll learn quick enough.

i am absolutely disgusted you would actually consider humiliating a student in front of his peers like that. this is exactly the kind of thinking from teachers that has made me consider home schooling my child over the years.

Exactly.

I don't know about European schools, but in the US, a percentage of your grade/mark in most core subjects is determined by homework assignments. If you don't turn it in, your grade is lowered.

Personal accountability works much, much better than humiliation. If I ever found out one of my kids was singled out and made to do something like sing a nursery rhyme in front of the class as punishment, he would no longer be in that teacher's classroom.

By the time a kid has reached 16, his study habits are fairly set so after making the parents aware of the situation and talking to the student about the consequences of failing his classes, its pretty much up to the student to motivate him/herself to succeed.

On a personal note, my notoriously lazy kids were motivated the most by teachers who took a genuine interest in them, showed that they enjoyed teaching them and voiced any concerns about their lack of effort in private, not during class in front of the other students.

Its very painful as a parent to have your child come home on the verge of tears because a teacher has made a thoughtless or humiliating comment to him in front of his classmates.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

I have been thinking about this on my way home (and granted, that's currently only a 15 minute drive ). Anyway, what do you do after you've given homework? Do you discuss it in class the next time? If so, do YOU discuss it/give the answers, or do you ask a student what (s)he has for answers?
In the second case, you can make appoint a student who hasn't make his/her homework. I think that after a short while you may have a good feeling who has or hasn't been doing homework. If that person has not made homework (s)he has to admit it before class. I don't think this is a real humiliation, but that person is forced to say (s)he didn't make it. It may be fun the first time, but after a few times it does get a bit tiresome for that person, so there's a higher chance (s)he has done homework the next time.
Additionally, what's been suggested earlier, you could mark the pupils who have not done their homework. After a certain amount of marks that person should do an extra assignment.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Don't try to single out only those who haven't done their homework, but also those who have, who are very good in it, who are struggling (to help them). But do try to give the impression not making homework will get noticed.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 AM
i like the idea of making them sing
Old 09-16-2004, 09:42 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

just out of curiousity, tomer, why aren't you in school right now?

i like how tomer disappeared right after you posted that.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Thanks everybody, it's interesting for me to hear parents & students here.
Bono's American Wife : Singing a nursey rhyme... well, I don't know now. But I like the fact that students may be reluctant to learn a nursery rhyme and think "well, I should have done my homework : it's easier that learning a baby song !"
A nursery rhyme may sound ludricrous for you but don't forget that I'm teaching English to French teenagers, so that could a way to learn some more English ! Of course, I find it stupid to learn a French baby song as a punishment ! Not useful at all ! I wasn't sure you got the fact that I'm teaching English. Anyway, it was good to read your opinion.

Tom : the fact that you want to be humiliated yourself is strange cause that means that maybe your classmates think the same. Maybe you should ask them. I dunno if every student is eager to be humiliated in the classroom...apart from you !

Marty : good advice as usual