Uranium City, Saskatchewan Superthread - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #766
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Fuck, I'm tired.
Just be grateful you weren't up for 23 hours on Saturday.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #767
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Single Best Album of 2000 - 2008: Answer now!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #768
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Take your pick of Porcupine Tree's three releases this decade, or maybe Alcest's Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde or Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third or Agalloch's The Mantle.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #769
Vocal parasite

Oh fuck. In 12 days, I will have spent the majority of my life in Australia.

I hope I get so drunk that when I wake up, I'm on a plane back to New Zealand.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #770
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Take your pick of Porcupine Tree's three releases this decade, or maybe Alcest's Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde or Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third or Agalloch's The Mantle.
I was gonna pick Deadwing.

Quote:
Oh fuck. In 12 days, I will have spent the majority of my life in Australia.

I hope I get so drunk that when I wake up, I'm on a plane back to New Zealand.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #771
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Yo Zoots buddy you still here?...can I answer this question?

I just stumbled onto this thread...God knows why...and I don't know if I'm even allowed or qualified to enter

Do I need a ticket? Or a key? Do I have to pass some sort of physical examination?

Anyway...to the question you posed...I'm not sure if I can give you a certain "best" album of that time period but I can give you two albums that are without DOUBT the two most influential albums of 2000-2008...influential in terms of impact on the music scene at large and in terms of cultural shifts...

2001 - Is This It - The Strokes
2000 - Kid A - Radiohead
Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #772
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Yo Zoots buddy you still here?...can I answer this question?

I just stumbled onto this thread...God knows why...and I don't know if I'm even allowed or qualified to enter

Do I need a ticket? Or a key? Do I have to pass some sort of physical examination?
I'm sure the friendly superthread peeps will welcome you here! Nice picks by the way! Kid A is definitely very close to #1 for me. Is This It, I need to listen to that one more.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #773
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I was gonna pick Deadwing.
I have a tremendously difficult time ranking the latest three PT albums. I think I would rank Deadwing the best followed by FOABP and then In Absentia, but then part of me wants to put In Absentia first, so that should indicate just how little difference I perceive between the albums in terms of sheer quality.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

Porcupine Tree fans on Interference?

Which one has the song 'Blackest Eyes'?

That song kicks all sorts of ass. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it right now.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #775
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Actually, yes, you do have to pass some sort of physical examination! Our initiation ritual, if you will, is that all newcomers take the purity test and post their score: 100 Point Purity Test

I assure you, we have results from the entire range of the spectrum here.

Otherwise, all you need to know is that this is a madhouse that can go from picspam of Melbourne trains and Auckland planes to a serious discussion of theology in contemporary politics in a matter of five minutes.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #776
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Porcupine Tree fans on Interference?

Which one has the song 'Blackest Eyes'?

That song kicks all sorts of ass. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it right now.
I would be quite the Porcupine Tree fanatic. Front row at all three of their Australian concerts back in April. Fuck yeah.

Blackest Eyes is on In Absentia. And it owned live. Especially in Melbourne, when Steven Wilson had his earpiece lodged in his ear canal and lost his timing, so he tried to get it back through humming the tune while the audience sung the chorus.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #777
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
I have a tremendously difficult time ranking the latest three PT albums. I think I would rank Deadwing the best followed by FOABP and then In Absentia, but then part of me wants to put In Absentia first, so that should indicate just how little difference I perceive between the albums in terms of sheer quality.
I usually go with In Absentia, but yeah, they are all interchangeable.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #778
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think I would rank Deadwing the best followed by FOABP and then In Absentia
That's how I would do it. FOABP is really good but a little too short... despite the 17 min Anesthetize. In Absentia is good but Strip The Soul, Lips of Ashes etc. do not compare to Open Car, Halo, Glass Arm..., My Ashes etc. IMO.

GAF: Blackest Eyes is from Absentia.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

This is what it told me after I took that slightly intrusive purity quiz....

You answered "yes" to 52 of 100 questions, making you 48.0% sexually pure (52.0% sexually corrupt); that is, you are 48.0% pure in the sex domain.
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 14%, based on a comparison of your test results with 1219397 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 55.3%.
The first submission for this test was received June 16, 1994.

Quote:
I would be quite the Porcupine Tree fanatic. Front row at all three of their Australian concerts back in April. Fuck yeah.

Blackest Eyes is on In Absentia. And it owned live. Especially in Melbourne, when Steven Wilson had his earpiece lodged in his ear canal and lost his timing, so he tried to get it back through humming the tune while the audience sung the chorus.
Front row???

That had to have been insane! One of my good friends is really into Porcupine Tree....he was telling me about how originally it was Steven Wilson's side-project and he wanted to create a fictional/mythical band called Porcupine Tree and it ended up becoming the full-fledged band that it is now.

Pretty cool if you ask me.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #780
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That's how I would do it. FOABP is really good but a little too short... despite the 17 min Anesthetize. In Absentia is good but Strip The Soul, Lips of Ashes etc. do not compare to Open Car, Halo, Glass Arm..., My Ashes etc. IMO.

GAF: Blackest Eyes is from Absentia.
I like that FOABP is concise. I'm glad SW didn't drag it out for the sake of dragging it out. And Anesthetize is just mindblowingly good. The middle section in Brisbane was, and I mean this in all seriousness, the one concert moment I've ever experienced that has come close to One Tree Hill in Auckland.

Strip The Soul is one of my personal IA favourites. I have to wonder what any neighbours think if they overhear me singing "STRIP THE SOUL! KILL THEM ALL!" though. I'd say the album's weakest tracks are Lips Of Ashes and Heartattack In A Layby. Wish Drown With Me were on the album proper.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread