Upperthong, West Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

I wrote a letter to the editor of Marvel Comics telling him how important I could be to the company if he gives me a chance. It is more of a self-motivation tool but who knows maybe he'll read it. I'm also planning on sending an inquiry letter to Marvel Comics to be a writer. If they like what they see they will ask for a writing sample. I believe strongly enough in my writing that it'll be the thing that gets me a job.

Excellent. If he reads it, that letter could be you foot in the door. It's a ballsy start, I'll give you that. :yes:

LemonMelon said:
I'd rather re-write history myself. :wink:

:lol:

Nah, being a historian is great. You sit back and let everybody else do all the work, then you just chronicle it!

Axver said:

:lol:

Nah, being a historian is great. You sit back and let everybody else do all the work, then you just chronicle it!

There's another thing you and my father have in common; he fucking adores history. I don't get it. Any time I bring up the subject in school he prattles on about the value of whatever they're teaching me. But hey, at least it's a subject I've always been good at. :up:

coolian2 said:

Copying off one person is plagiarism, copying off many is research.

Similarly, observing one person is stalking, observing all of society is research.

Thanks for the :hug:'s guys

Feeling a little better, a neighbour just knocked on the door, saw the mess I was in and made me sit down and drink coffee :lol:....

I've decided that it's not the surgery itself I'm a mess over, it's the fact I'm going to be stone cold awake the whole way through, feeling the attack, and then the fear that they can't treat it and I'm left with the condition forever and a day. But yeah, I'm a tough duck and I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm expecting. I think I need Stars in Their Eyes to be on TV about now :lol:

How is everyone?

LemonMelon said:

There's another thing you and my father have in common; he fucking adores history. I don't get it. Any time I bring up the subject in school he prattles on about the value of whatever they're teaching me. But hey, at least it's a subject I've always been good at. :up:

:laugh: Your father seems cool. :wink:

Actually, I've often battled with "this history shit really doesn't matter" and "does it really have much value beyond interest?" I mean, I can give the whole talk about how "history defines the context of the present bla bla bla", but sometimes I wonder if I've just convinced myself of it because I personally love history. Then I remind myself that all that is inconsequential; the study and analysis of history is what I enjoy doing, and if I can find somebody who'll pay me to do it, it must have significance to them and it doesn't bloody matter if it's inconsequential! I like it and it keeps my bank balance on the favourable side of $0. That's good enough for me.

LemonMelon said:

Pfft :tsk: History's old news...........

:reject: sorry for the screwed up humour *ducks from Axver throwing a One CD* :lol:

Axver said:

:laugh: Your father seems cool. :wink:

Actually, I've often battled with "this history shit really doesn't matter" and "does it really have much value beyond interest?" I mean, I can give the whole talk about how "history defines the context of the present bla bla bla", but sometimes I wonder if I've just convinced myself of it because I personally love history. Then I remind myself that all that is inconsequential; the study and analysis of history is what I enjoy doing, and if I can find somebody who'll pay me to do it, it must have significance to them and it doesn't bloody matter if it's inconsequential! I like it and it keeps my bank balance on the favourable side of $0. That's good enough for me.

I think you're just an old soul, Axver. :wink: That's why you two relate so much.

Think of it this way; what Screwy and I want to accomplish really isn't that important either. Seriously, people will, at best, be entertained by our work. I mean, what the fuck? But we want to chase after this particular dream because we love it and thrive off of it. This isn't even on the same thrill level as being a musician; how many writers get hordes of chicks? Cocaine, maybe, but not chicks. :hmm:

Anyway, just follow it if you enjoy it. That's my point...I think. :slant:

gluey said:
Thanks for the :hug:'s guys

Feeling a little better, a neighbour just knocked on the door, saw the mess I was in and made me sit down and drink coffee :lol:....

I've decided that it's not the surgery itself I'm a mess over, it's the fact I'm going to be stone cold awake the whole way through, feeling the attack, and then the fear that they can't treat it and I'm left with the condition forever and a day. But yeah, I'm a tough duck and I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm expecting. I think I need Stars in Their Eyes to be on TV about now :lol:

How is everyone?

They aren't going to put you under?

gluey said:

Pfft :tsk: History's old news...........

:reject: sorry for the screwed up humour *ducks from Axver throwing a One CD* :lol:

That was spectacularly lame! :laugh:

LemonMelon said:
I think you're just an old soul, Axver. :wink: That's why you two relate so much.

Think of it this way; what Screwy and I want to accomplish really isn't that important either. Seriously, people will, at best, be entertained by our work. I mean, what the fuck? But we want to chase after this particular dream because we love it and thrive off of it. This isn't even on the same thrill level as being a musician; how many writers get hordes of chicks? Cocaine, maybe, but not chicks. :hmm:

:lol: In grade twelve, one of my friends often remarked that I was a 47 year old trapped in a 17 year old's body.

But people want to be entertained. They actively seek it, to make life a bit less dull and tedious before they kick the bucket. At least you've got a decent market for it, and don't say it's just entertainment either. The themes and messages can be pretty influential and thought-provoking. Though I suppose you don't want to do it in such a way that you end up with a flock of Muldfelds following your every move. :wink:

Historians, on the other hand, would like to believe what they research has a bearing on the present day rather than just a recount of "old shit" ... how much of that is true, I don't know. Depends on my mood as to which way I'll argue. Feeling cynical today.

Screwtape2 said:

They aren't going to put you under?

Nope, have a little bit of local anaesthetic where they go in via my groin into my arteries. If they sedate me in any way, shape, or form, they lessen the chance of bringing on at arrythmic attack and therefore the chances of treating it. I'm petrified about seeing, hearing and feeling it all. If they can burn the faulty connection away, then I'll feel that too :yikes: And there's a big chance that the faulty connection will be in an untreatable place :(

LemonMelon said:

Well...what I want to do is more than entertain. I want to move people and make them think. I want to have a special connection with the fans.

But you are right, if you enjoy it...

Axver said:

:lol: In grade twelve, one of my friends often remarked that I was a 47 year old trapped in a 17 year old's body.

But people want to be entertained. They actively seek it, to make life a bit less dull and tedious before they kick the bucket. At least you've got a decent market for it, and don't say it's just entertainment either. The themes and messages can be pretty influential and thought-provoking. Though I suppose you don't want to do it in such a way that you end up with a flock of Muldfelds following your every move. :wink:

Historians, on the other hand, would like to believe what they research has a bearing on the present day rather than just a recount of "old shit" ... how much of that is true, I don't know. Depends on my mood as to which way I'll argue. Feeling cynical today.

I bet I'll end up with a legion of Mudfields. :wink:

gluey said:

Nope, have a little bit of local anaesthetic where they go in via my groin into my arteries. If they sedate me in any way, shape, or form, they lessen the chance of bringing on at arrythmic attack and therefore the chances of treating it. I'm petrified about seeing, hearing and feeling it all. If they can burn the faulty connection away, then I'll feel that too :yikes: And there's a big chance that the faulty connection will be in an untreatable place :(

If it's in an untreatable place, what does that mean for you? And does that make the operation a waste of time?

WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCK

the library is supposed to be open til 2am, according to the website i made sure to check so i'd know when i could go and pick up books from my thesis carrel, as i need to work before it opens at 10am. well the motherfucking fucking assholes put a sign on the door saying "closed at 11" but didn't send out an email so how was i supposed to fucking know? that loses me like 3 hours of work, minimum.

i sent the head librarian an email in capslock. i have never done that before.

gluey said:

:hug: We are all thinking about you. Stay strong. :hug:

Varitek said:
WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCK

the library is supposed to be open til 2am, according to the website i made sure to check so i'd know when i could go and pick up books from my thesis carrel, as i need to work before it opens at 10am. well the motherfucking fucking assholes put a sign on the door saying "closed at 11" but didn't send out an email so how was i supposed to fucking know? that loses me like 3 hours of work, minimum.

i sent the head librarian an email in capslock. i have never done that before.

Wow, and here I was thinking that it was impressive that the larger branches of my uni's library network stay open until 10pm some days.

:yikes: gluey that sounds scary. good luck! :hug:

i'm gonna try and sedate myself now so i can sleep and be wide awake when the library's actually open tomorrow. also i am SO going to yell at someone, i don't care who.

Axver said:

If it's in an untreatable place, what does that mean for you? And does that make the operation a waste of time?

If it's untreatable, it means calcium blockers for the rest of my life to prevent further arrythmia's and palpitation (which can both cause me to have a stroke). And yep, the operation is pointless I guess if they can't treat it, other than to confirm that it isn't treatable and nothing else is wrong with my heart and arteries etc. If they can treat it, I'm cured, and that to me is worth giving it a go....but yeah....:yikes:

Screwtape2 said:

I bet I'll end up with a legion of Mudfields. :wink:

The terror of having to deal with them will turn you into a recluse, a hermit living in the woods who every seven years publishes a work of staggering genius but otherwise never communicates with the outside world.

Axver said:

Wow, and here I was thinking that it was impressive that the larger branches of my uni's library network stay open until 10pm some days.

I wonder what time my uni library stays open to. Probably 10pm.

It would be useless keeping it open later unless it was 24 hours - there aren't any buses after midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom