Upperthong, West Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say a lot, but I'm sorry to hear about that stuff, Tourist. I hope this next week is better for you, and that things are fine with your girlfriend.

Screwtape2 said:

Oh my god. That sucks. I can't believe your girlfriend would say that to you. :yikes:

Yeah. I know from personal experience on that count. Kate used that line on me. It was about the only reason she gave me for not wanting to be together that made even a modicum of sense. The rest were just laughable. Like that I'm not tall enough. It was just a smokescreen for her deciding to go with a friend of mine.

I hope she's happy with the life she's chosen, because I'm so much happier without her.

Also, Andrew, :heterosexualmanhug: and all that. I'd try to add more, I'm a cynical bastard, so don't listen to me.

the tourist said:

She wanted to be honest with me.

That is a kind gesture on her part then. If you are in love with her than maybe you should tell her that you aren't sure about a lot of things but that you know you'll love her in 40 years. Maybe knowing she will be cared for for the rest of her life might make her realize that you are the right person for her. It is at least worth a try, right?

Axver said:

Yeah. I know from personal experience on that count. Kate used that line on me. It was about the only reason she gave me for not wanting to be together that made even a modicum of sense. The rest were just laughable. Like that I'm not tall enough. It was just a smokescreen for her deciding to go with a friend of mine.

I hope she's happy with the life she's chosen, because I'm so much happier without her.

Sorry about everything that happened with Kate. I'm sure a brilliant, nice and interesting guy like you will find the right girl.

Screwtape2 said:

Sorry about everything that happened with Kate. I'm sure a brilliant, nice and interesting guy like you will find the right girl.

Thanks - though I'm starting to think I might be better off with my library of books. They don't talk back and they won't be upset if I go to another library.

Screwtape2 said:

That is a kind gesture on her part then. If you are in love with her than maybe you should tell her that you aren't sure about a lot of things but that you know you'll love her in 40 years. Maybe knowing she will be cared for for the rest of her life might make her realize that you are the right person for her. It is at least worth a try, right?

I have. She knows I think sunshine blows out her ass.

On a positive note, I just bought a ticket to see Opeth. :drool:

the tourist said:
my girlfriend decided to drop the bomb that she doesn't know if she wants to stay with me because she doesn't know if she'd still love me in 40 years.

Whoa. That came out of nowhere.

How the hell does anyone know what will happen in 40 years?

phanan said:

Ah, you ended up deciding to brave the storm, eh?

Yep. I'll decide closer to the date if I make a charge for the front row or just go upstairs to the balcony.

Even if I go upstairs to the balcony, for most of the show I'll probably be closer to Opeth than I was to U2 at the majority of gigs that I saw! :lol:

Axver said:

Yep. I'll decide closer to the date if I make a charge for the front row or just go upstairs to the balcony.

Even if I go upstairs to the balcony, for most of the show I'll probably be closer to Opeth than I was to U2 at the majority of gigs that I saw! :lol:

What size venues do they usually play?

phanan said:

What size venues do they usually play?

Clubs/theatres. At a guess, The Palace probably holds somewhere between 700-1,000. Same venue PT played. The largest venue PT hit was the Enmore in Sydney, which has a capacity of around 2,300-2,400 and the security guard in front of me told me that they expected an attendance of 1,600-1,700.

Screwtape2 said:

I agree. Love is timeless. Once you get into a relationship of love then it can never die. You might lose the passion but it can be rekindled.

Ha. If Kate wants back, she's going to have to buy me the New Zealand railway network or get U2 to hire me as their setlist designer or something.

I said I'd always love her, but if somebody breaks my trust, fuck 'em.

Axver said:

Ha. If Kate wants back, she's going to have to buy me the New Zealand railway network or get U2 to hire me as their setlist designer or something.

I said I'd always love her, but if somebody breaks my trust, fuck 'em.

This may sound harsh but it seems more like Kate liked you but never loved you. Am I right?

phanan said:

That's really not the case all the time.

Maybe but true love like Tourist has is timeless. Sometimes people fall in love but realize they aren't really. True love is when every fiber of your being is devoted to someone you care about romantically. It can be unrequited and die but when two people come together it never fades. It always is there.

Screwtape2 said:

This may sound harsh but it seems more like Kate liked you but never loved you. Am I right?

No, I think for the first eight or nine months, she loved me. She jumped in too fast, wasn't ready for a lot of it, and frankly misjudged me due to infatuation, but I would say she loved me.

But we were together two and a half years. For at least the final year, you're absolutely right.

Axver said:

No, I think for the first eight or nine months, she loved me. She jumped in too fast, wasn't ready for a lot of it, and frankly misjudged me due to infatuation, but I would say she loved me.

But we were together two and a half years. For at least the final year, you're absolutely right.

That's a shame it didn't work out then. I know some people want to be in love so bad but they begin to realize they aren't. I'm not saying that's the case with you two. I just think that is why so many people who say they are in love end up spliting. But then again what do I know. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

Maybe but true love like Tourist has is timeless. Sometimes people fall in love but realize they aren't really. True love is when every fiber of your being is devoted to someone you care about romantically. It can be unrequited and die but when two people come together it never fades. It always is there.

For some people, it fades over time. People change. It's just the nature of the beast.

phanan said:

For some people, it fades over time. People change. It's just the nature of the beast.

My love for a person I get into a relationship with will never fade. It will burn bright for as long as I exist as atoms upon atoms. I have only been in true love once and I am still madly love that person. I always will. My love is unconditional and unending.

Screwtape2 said:

That's a shame it didn't work out then. I know some people want to be in love so bad but they begin to realize they aren't. I'm not saying that's the case with you two. I just think that is why so many people who say they are in love end up spliting. But then again what do I know. :wink:

The crucial difference between Kate and I is that I'm focused on the long-term (no fucking wonder I'm a historian), while she lives for the short-term and is a "grass is greener on the other side" sort of person. Part of the reason she wanted to end things is because she simply wanted to know what it was like to be with somebody else, as I was her first boyfriend.

Personally, I couldn't give a shit and never gave that sort of thing a thought, but hey, if your life is centred around chasing happiness in the immediate short-term, I suppose you think like that.

Fucking hell, folks, it somehow got past 3:30am. I need my sleep. Have a good one. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom