Upperthong, West Yorkshire Superthread - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #241
The Male

Local Time: 10:09 PM
I'd rather re-write history myself.

Now.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #242
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I wrote a letter to the editor of Marvel Comics telling him how important I could be to the company if he gives me a chance. It is more of a self-motivation tool but who knows maybe he'll read it. I'm also planning on sending an inquiry letter to Marvel Comics to be a writer. If they like what they see they will ask for a writing sample. I believe strongly enough in my writing that it'll be the thing that gets me a job.
Excellent. If he reads it, that letter could be you foot in the door. It's a ballsy start, I'll give you that.

Now.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #243
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I'd rather re-write history myself.

Nah, being a historian is great. You sit back and let everybody else do all the work, then you just chronicle it!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gluey
is anyone here to talk to? Need to take my mind off things. I'm in a hell of a state about my surgery. Crying one minute, shaking, feeling like I'm going to hyperventilate, yelling at the kids
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #245
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Nah, being a historian is great. You sit back and let everybody else do all the work, then you just chronicle it!
There's another thing you and my father have in common; he fucking adores history. I don't get it. Any time I bring up the subject in school he prattles on about the value of whatever they're teaching me. But hey, at least it's a subject I've always been good at.

Now.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Copying off one person is plagiarism, copying off many is research.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #247
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

Copying off one person is plagiarism, copying off many is research.
Similarly, observing one person is stalking, observing all of society is research.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the 's guys

Feeling a little better, a neighbour just knocked on the door, saw the mess I was in and made me sit down and drink coffee ....

I've decided that it's not the surgery itself I'm a mess over, it's the fact I'm going to be stone cold awake the whole way through, feeling the attack, and then the fear that they can't treat it and I'm left with the condition forever and a day. But yeah, I'm a tough duck and I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm expecting. I think I need Stars in Their Eyes to be on TV about now

How is everyone?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #249
Vocal parasite

Quote:

There's another thing you and my father have in common; he fucking adores history. I don't get it. Any time I bring up the subject in school he prattles on about the value of whatever they're teaching me. But hey, at least it's a subject I've always been good at.
Your father seems cool.

Actually, I've often battled with "this history shit really doesn't matter" and "does it really have much value beyond interest?" I mean, I can give the whole talk about how "history defines the context of the present bla bla bla", but sometimes I wonder if I've just convinced myself of it because I personally love history. Then I remind myself that all that is inconsequential; the study and analysis of history is what I enjoy doing, and if I can find somebody who'll pay me to do it, it must have significance to them and it doesn't bloody matter if it's inconsequential! I like it and it keeps my bank balance on the favourable side of $0. That's good enough for me.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Pfft History's old news...........

sorry for the screwed up humour *ducks from Axver throwing a One CD*
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #251
The Male

Quote:

Your father seems cool.

Actually, I've often battled with "this history shit really doesn't matter" and "does it really have much value beyond interest?" I mean, I can give the whole talk about how "history defines the context of the present bla bla bla", but sometimes I wonder if I've just convinced myself of it because I personally love history. Then I remind myself that all that is inconsequential; the study and analysis of history is what I enjoy doing, and if I can find somebody who'll pay me to do it, it must have significance to them and it doesn't bloody matter if it's inconsequential! I like it and it keeps my bank balance on the favourable side of $0. That's good enough for me.
I think you're just an old soul, Axver. That's why you two relate so much.

Think of it this way; what Screwy and I want to accomplish really isn't that important either. Seriously, people will, at best, be entertained by our work. I mean, what the fuck? But we want to chase after this particular dream because we love it and thrive off of it. This isn't even on the same thrill level as being a musician; how many writers get hordes of chicks? Cocaine, maybe, but not chicks.

Anyway, just follow it if you enjoy it. That's my point...I think.

Now.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the 's guys

Feeling a little better, a neighbour just knocked on the door, saw the mess I was in and made me sit down and drink coffee ....

I've decided that it's not the surgery itself I'm a mess over, it's the fact I'm going to be stone cold awake the whole way through, feeling the attack, and then the fear that they can't treat it and I'm left with the condition forever and a day. But yeah, I'm a tough duck and I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm expecting. I think I need Stars in Their Eyes to be on TV about now

How is everyone?
They aren't going to put you under?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #253
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Pfft History's old news...........

sorry for the screwed up humour *ducks from Axver throwing a One CD*
That was spectacularly lame!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #254
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I think you're just an old soul, Axver. That's why you two relate so much.

Think of it this way; what Screwy and I want to accomplish really isn't that important either. Seriously, people will, at best, be entertained by our work. I mean, what the fuck? But we want to chase after this particular dream because we love it and thrive off of it. This isn't even on the same thrill level as being a musician; how many writers get hordes of chicks? Cocaine, maybe, but not chicks.

Anyway, just follow it if you enjoy it. That's my point...I think.
In grade twelve, one of my friends often remarked that I was a 47 year old trapped in a 17 year old's body.

But people want to be entertained. They actively seek it, to make life a bit less dull and tedious before they kick the bucket. At least you've got a decent market for it, and don't say it's just entertainment either. The themes and messages can be pretty influential and thought-provoking. Though I suppose you don't want to do it in such a way that you end up with a flock of Muldfelds following your every move.

Historians, on the other hand, would like to believe what they research has a bearing on the present day rather than just a recount of "old shit" ... how much of that is true, I don't know. Depends on my mood as to which way I'll argue. Feeling cynical today.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

They aren't going to put you under?
Nope, have a little bit of local anaesthetic where they go in via my groin into my arteries. If they sedate me in any way, shape, or form, they lessen the chance of bringing on at arrythmic attack and therefore the chances of treating it. I'm petrified about seeing, hearing and feeling it all. If they can burn the faulty connection away, then I'll feel that too And there's a big chance that the faulty connection will be in an untreatable place

Tags
superthread