Unalaska Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:

Which ones? The nerdy ones with the huge glasses, shirts tucked in and pants up to their ribcages, or the oooh-look-at-me-I'm-so-hypercool-TB-just-arrived-off-the-boat ones with streaks in their hair, wearing white and always wearing jeans and listening to J-pop, or the don't-touch-me-I'm-Yakuza ones with the chesty vests, crappy hair that's usually bleached blond and worse English?

And of course, there's the "OOOOOOH I WANT TO BE WHITE/BLACK" ones, with horribly dyed brown or blond hair and ridiculously lame attempts to be white such as listening to rap and R&B and breakdancing.

As you can see, I loathe most Asian stereotypes, especially cause I don't fall in any of them.

I went to school with about 100 of these in my grade! Woo!

major_panic said:
The music was what made the film for me. Without it, it'd just have been another of those "Ooooooh trying to stir controversy!" films. As it was, it turned out to be a really nicely-crafted show, a treat to watch.
Quirky :yes:. And the performances were solid, too.

Mmm, Frosty fruits. :drool:

liamcool said:

I went to school with about 100 of these in my grade! Woo!

Only 100? I had about 150 in mine, it sucked. I must've been one of three Asian guys that actually knew all of the white guys' names and hung out with them. And played white sports.

major_panic said:

Only 100? I had about 150 in mine, it sucked. I must've been one of three Asian guys that actually knew all of the white guys' names and hung out with them. And played white sports.

Wow. I actually hung out with a lot of Asian guys. (but then again, there were 140 people in our grade and at least 80% were Asian).

major_panic said:
Which ones? The nerdy ones with the huge glasses, shirts tucked in and pants up to their ribcages, or the oooh-look-at-me-I'm-so-hypercool-TB-just-arrived-off-the-boat ones with streaks in their hair, wearing white and always wearing jeans and listening to J-pop, or the don't-touch-me-I'm-Yakuza ones with the chesty vests, crappy hair that's usually bleached blond and worse English?

And of course, there's the "OOOOOOH I WANT TO BE WHITE/BLACK" ones, with horribly dyed brown or blond hair and ridiculously lame attempts to be white such as listening to rap and R&B and breakdancing.

As you can see, I loathe most Asian stereotypes, especially cause I don't fall in any of them.

:lmao: Who needs to actually go to the Asia Centre when I've got you to describe everybody there? The don't-touch-me-I'm-Yakuza types look especially ridiculous. The bleached blond hair is too funny.

Though what I don't get is why I so often see classes around uni that are just entirely groups of Asians, with not another ethnicity in sight. Way to not integrate AT ALL into the university community. What's up with that? Is it just coincidence, or are there actually courses just for them? It's not like I see all the Indian or Arab students going to classes in big mobs ...

Axver said:
Oh, Liam and Ali, and Melissa if she's here:

Support has been announced for PT's gigs. Melbourne band Sleep Parade. I've never heard their stuff before but the guys at OzProg seem pretty excited about them.
I think I've heard their name on JJJ, but dunno if I've actually heard any of their stuff.

My brother's train vid is coming soon....

Alisaura said:

I think I've heard their name on JJJ, but dunno if I've actually heard any of their stuff.

My brother's train vid is coming soon....

I'm going to have to find a torrent.

And :hyper:

Axver said:
But it's a Melbourne band, so there's some hope. If it were a Sydney band, then yes, we'd be fucked. See: Cog.
I did see Cog, when I was in Canberra. It was incidental to seeing another band a friend of a friend was in, who was opening for them. This other band was sneaky and used the lights that only Cog were supposed to use, since they were trying to impress some record company or something. :shrug:

This friend of a friend was the bass player, and managed to break a string mid-song! :yikes:

Axver said:

:lmao: Who needs to actually go to the Asia Centre when I've got you to describe everybody there? The don't-touch-me-I'm-Yakuza types look especially ridiculous. The bleached blond hair is too funny.

I get the greasiest looks from those types sometimes when I walk past carrying my swords / spear. I always laugh at them though. I can take them. And if not, I have large white friends who can.

Axver said:

Though what I don't get is why I so often see classes around uni that are just entirely groups of Asians, with not another ethnicity in sight. Way to not integrate AT ALL into the university community. What's up with that? Is it just coincidence, or are there actually courses just for them? It's not like I see all the Indian or Arab students going to classes in big mobs ...

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's noticed that. That's why I was ranting about Asians not fitting in the other night. Have you noticed that a lot of them don't speak English at all when in their little (or large, as it were) groups?

Incidentally, one of my friends attended one of those large tutes once for a stats class in Melb Uni, and was the only white guy. He dozed off, then realised all of a sudden halfway through that the tutor wasn't even speaking English, but some dialect of Chinese.

Most of the Asians around are just Phail Collins.

Alisaura said:

I did see Cog, when I was in Canberra. It was incidental to seeing another band a friend of a friend was in, who was opening for them. This other band was sneaky and used the lights that only Cog were supposed to use, since they were trying to impress some record company or something. :shrug:

This friend of a friend was the bass player, and managed to break a string mid-song! :yikes:

:lol:

Actually, what were Cog like? In mid-May, there's a gig here in Melbourne with Kora, Jakob, and Cog. Now, I've never heard Kora and Cog's first album was very bland and mediocre to me, but I LOVE Jakob and I'm debating whether or not to go.

major_panic said:
I get the greasiest looks from those types sometimes when I walk past carrying my swords / spear. I always laugh at them though. I can take them. And if not, I have large white friends who can.

:lol: They're probably pansies who'd run away at the first sign of a real fight anyway.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's noticed that. That's why I was ranting about Asians not fitting in the other night. Have you noticed that a lot of them don't speak English at all when in their little (or large, as it were) groups?

Incidentally, one of my friends attended one of those large tutes once for a stats class in Melb Uni, and was the only white guy. He dozed off, then realised all of a sudden halfway through that the tutor wasn't even speaking English, but some dialect of Chinese.

Most of the Asians around are just Phail Collins.

Woah, the tutor was speaking Chinese?! Holy shit. That's just insane. I don't get this lack of integration. I've had a couple of encounters with these types outside of their classes and they just seem so lost with anything that isn't their little clique. I keep wondering where these classes are coming from and why on earth they seem to be getting such preferential treatment. I mean, cool, help out foreign students as much as possible, but don't turn them into a separate body of students who might as well be at an entirely different uni.

Alisaura said:

:bow:

And:

"Oh yeah, he's great in... chair."

:lol:

Hah yeah! And, "Did you think that when she sat us down that it'd be something like this?" "Yeah, but I was hoping for hard drugs or expelled from school."

mysterious_jen said:
for the love of god and all my dreams that were droolworthy no more trains please!

Too late. Welcome to the Assver-hole.

Have a good, nerdy night! :wave:

Axver said:
Actually, what were Cog like? In mid-May, there's a gig here in Melbourne with Kora, Jakob, and Cog. Now, I've never heard Kora and Cog's first album was very bland and mediocre to me, but I LOVE Jakob and I'm debating whether or not to go.
I honestly can't remember. We may possibly have left before they even took the stage (haha), or maybe a song or two in. .... Either way, it was more than five years ago. I can barely remember what Midnight Oil were like (saw them in the same venue, about a week before they broke up/disbanded), and I'm sure they were far more memorable than Cog. :wink:

I don't remember them being exceptionally horrible... :shrug:

Axver said:

I don't get this lack of integration. I've had a couple of encounters with these types outside of their classes and they just seem so lost with anything that isn't their little clique.

It's because where they come from, they're the little kings and queens of the households, with everything pandering to them. You people think Australia's materialistic, you should go to Malaysia or Singapore.

Also, you know they have servants? They actually pay people to do things for them, like housework, cooking, looking after kids etc. and those servants ("maids" they call them) are expected to put up with crappy treatment, and do pretty much anything their employers say. And live with their employers so they work 24/7.

The kids are usually spoilt little brats because of it, and are generally afraid to adapt to new things unless they involve money or instant gratification for themselves.

Axver said:

I keep wondering where these classes are coming from and why on earth they seem to be getting such preferential treatment. I mean, cool, help out foreign students as much as possible, but don't turn them into a separate body of students who might as well be at an entirely different uni.

It's because the uni gets a shitload of money from them. They are, I've heard, marked on a slightly different scale in terms of English ability, and requirements are lower.

That being said, it isn't as bad as the situation in Malaysia, where if you're an ethnic Malay, you get a completely different and much more lenient marking system, preferential treatment in uni and employment, and you are practically given whatever you want at the cost of the other ethnic minorities living in the country.

I remember how one bloke got bumped off the national sailing team for another guy; the other guy was ranked 4 places below him, but was promoted cause he was an ethnic Malay.

As you can see, I hate this sort of injustice with a passion. :mad:

Alisaura said:

I honestly can't remember. We may possibly have left before they even took the stage (haha), or maybe a song or two in. .... Either way, it was more than five years ago. I can barely remember what Midnight Oil were like (saw them in the same venue, about a week before they broke up/disbanded), and I'm sure they were far more memorable than Cog. :wink:

I don't remember them being exceptionally horrible... :shrug:

YOU SAW THE OILS LIVE? :jealous: I'm so hooked on The Dead Heart at the moment.

I'm still not sure about this gig. I think tickets are around $35, and do I really want to pay that much to see a support band? I wish Jakob would just announce their own headlining gig!

The Sad Punk said:
Wait - Maj carries a sword around in public?

... what type of sword? :reject:

chinese%20sword%20display%20-%2031236.jpg

lungchuan%20sabre.jpg

weapons-chinese-weapons-spears-k-rattan-spear.jpg

The swords are usually sheathed and carried in a bag on my back though, and the spear tip is covered. It's still pretty bloody obvious what they are.

major_panic said:

It's because where they come from, they're the little kings and queens of the households, with everything pandering to them. You people think Australia's materialistic, you should go to Malaysia or Singapore.

Also, you know they have servants? They actually pay people to do things for them, like housework, cooking, looking after kids etc. and those servants ("maids" they call them) are expected to put up with crappy treatment, and do pretty much anything their employers say. And live with their employers so they work 24/7.

The kids are usually spoilt little brats because of it, and are generally afraid to adapt to new things unless they involve money or instant gratification for themselves.

It's because the uni gets a shitload of money from them. They are, I've heard, marked on a slightly different scale in terms of English ability, and requirements are lower.

That being said, it isn't as bad as the situation in Malaysia, where if you're an ethnic Malay, you get a completely different and much more lenient marking system, preferential treatment in uni and employment, and you are practically given whatever you want at the cost of the other ethnic minorities living in the country.

I remember how one bloke got bumped off the national sailing team for another guy; the other guy was ranked 4 places below him, but was promoted cause he was an ethnic Malay.

As you can see, I hate this sort of injustice with a passion. :mad:

Put it perfectly. I witnessed all of this in high school. Me and the girlfriend were two of the few non Asians in the school, and were constantly shocked at how spoilt these pricks were. I do like Asian people though, they're always funny, honest and very smart. I'm not that racist.

(yes, I did go to a selective high school. Your point on the different English scale is probably why I dealt with so many of the fuckers. :wink:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom