Unalaska Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:
OMG OMG OMG

From the earlier article about Trial By Combat:

I think I might have found one redeeming feature of the US!

:laugh:

AWESOME.

liamcool said:

So you've missed me, I take it?

Nobody has ever nor will ever miss you. :tsk:

I did miss seeing your avatar hanging around though.

... that was appallingly bad.

Axver said:
Hey, random Triffids question for you and anybody else who wants to answer: what do you think is the most depressing song on Born Sandy Devotional?

That's a really, really, really hard one.

In terms of music, I think it'd probably be Lonely Stretch. Lyrics-wise... probably Tarrilup Bridge or the Seabirds.

Probably Tarrilup Bridge, I guess.

Axver said:
Hey, random Triffids question for you and anybody else who wants to answer: what do you think is the most depressing song on Born Sandy Devotional?
Just for a moment, I thought you were asking about the novel (Day of the Triffids).... :lol:

major_panic said:
I'm gonna go there, assault Bush and Howard, then demand a trial by combat. Mwahahahaha!
Do they get to nominate a champion? 'Cos as awesome as Haast's Eagle kung fu undoubtedly is, you may still be in trouble :wink:

major_panic said:

That's a really, really, really hard one.

In terms of music, I think it'd probably be Lonely Stretch. Lyrics-wise... probably Tarrilup Bridge or the Seabirds.

Probably Tarrilup Bridge, I guess.

I must admit I haven't played Lonely Stretch much. I'll give it a play now, though. Tarrilup Bridge pisses me off because the lyrics are just SO good, but overall, I think it's the worst song on the album simply due to the way it's played.

The Seabirds is made of win. :drool:

I'm just trying to decide which Triffids song to put on my ultra-depressing Desert Island playlist. I'm currently tossing between The Seabirds and Tender Is The Night.

Alisaura said:

Just for a moment, I thought you were asking about the novel (Day of the Triffids).... :lol:

Before Born Sandy Devotional was remastered and rereleased, it used to really really annoy me looking up the Triffids online or on BitTorrent sites. All I got were references to Day of the Triffids and the film based on the novel.

Alisaura said:

Do they get to nominate a champion? 'Cos as awesome as Haast's Eagle kung fu undoubtedly is, you may still be in trouble :wink:

I don't think they do. As I understand it, it's between the accused and accuser. :up:

SuperWin!

major_panic said:
I'm gonna go there, assault Bush and Howard, then demand a trial by combat. Mwahahahaha!

I can totally support this endeavour.

Axver said:

I must admit I haven't played Lonely Stretch much. I'll give it a play now, though. Tarrilup Bridge pisses me off because the lyrics are just SO good, but overall, I think it's the worst song on the album simply due to the way it's played.

The Seabirds is made of win. :drool:

I'm just trying to decide which Triffids song to put on my ultra-depressing Desert Island playlist. I'm currently tossing between The Seabirds and Tender Is The Night.

Lonely Stretch is haunting and depressing. Seabirds is just insidious, creepy and depressing. Tender Is The Night is currently on mine, so if we do that anonymous thing you'll know which one mine is.

Man, Tender Is The Night is such a great song. Really, really has some power to it. You should all go out and get and listen to Born Sandy Devotional, by the way. It's possibly one of the best and most depressing alt albums ever made. Even the songs that don't sound depressing (Wide Open Road) are!

major_panic said:

Before Born Sandy Devotional was remastered and rereleased, it used to really really annoy me looking up the Triffids online or on BitTorrent sites. All I got were references to Day of the Triffids and the film based on the novel.

Ugh, I hate it when that sort of thing happens.

Looks like Graham Lee's put together a really good official site for The Triffids though. :up:

Axver said:

Ugh, I hate it when that sort of thing happens.

Looks like Graham Lee's put together a really good official site for The Triffids though. :up:

Yeah, that sprung up a while back, round 2004/5ish I think, and it's just gotten better.

liamcool said:

Got a cold I can't shake for now. You know the sort, it just will not go away?

Damn, that sucks. Have you tried getting a basin-full of boiling water, putting some Vicks Vaporub in it, putting your head directly above the steam and covering the whole thing (and your head) with a towel?

I swear, it actually worked for me. Well, it clears nasal congestion like anything, at any rate.

Axver said:
I need to read that.
It's definitely a product of its time... they just don't write 'em like that any more. Certainly not with gender attitudes like that...! :yikes:

Still an interesting read. War of the Worlds is good too :up:

major_panic said:

Lonely Stretch is haunting and depressing. Seabirds is just insidious, creepy and depressing. Tender Is The Night is currently on mine, so if we do that anonymous thing you'll know which one mine is.

Man, Tender Is The Night is such a great song. Really, really has some power to it. You should all go out and get and listen to Born Sandy Devotional, by the way. It's possibly one of the best and most depressing alt albums ever made. Even the songs that don't sound depressing (Wide Open Road) are!

As it stands, I think Tender Is The Night probably fits sonically best on my playlist, and lyrically they both work with my concept, but I think The Seabirds works just a little better lyrically and is the better song in general. But I'll give Lonely Stretch some consideration.

I second the Born Sandy Devotional recommendation. One of the best Australian albums in history.

Also, right now, I'm listening to Script Of The Bridge by The Chameleons. Don't Fall is possibly the best post-punk song ever. Anybody who likes Boy/October/War era U2 or Joy Division or Echo And The Bunnymen and such forth really MUST check out Script Of The Bridge.

major_panic said:

Damn, that sucks. Have you tried getting a basin-full of boiling water, putting some Vicks Vaporub in it, putting your head directly above the steam and covering the whole thing (and your head) with a towel?

I swear, it actually worked for me. Well, it clears nasal congestion like anything, at any rate.

Might try that later, sounds pretty interesting...

Alisaura said:

W00t! :D

This is what I get for learning about antiquated justice systems from fantasy novels. :reject:

Again from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_combat

Trials by combat at common law in England were carried on with quarterstaffs, on a duelling ground of sixty feet square. Each litigant was allowed a rectangular, leathern shield, and could be armed with a suit of armour, provided that they were bare to the knees and elbows, and wore only red sandals on their feet. The litigants appeared in person; women, the elderly, the infirm of body, and minors could have champions named to fight in their stead. The combat was to begin before noon, and be concluded before sunset. Before fighting, each litigant had to swear an oath disclaiming the use of witchcraft for advantage in the combat, which oath is in words and figures as follows:

Hear this, ye justices, that I have this day neither eat, drank, nor have upon me, neither bone, stone, ne grass; nor any enchantment, sorcery, or witchcraft, whereby the law of God may be abased, or the law of the Devil exalted. So help me God and his saints.

Either combatant could end the fight and lose his case by crying out the word "craven", from the Old French for "broken," which acknowledged "(I am) vanquished." The party who did so, however, whether litigant or champion, was punished with outlawry. Fighting continued until one party or the other was dead or disabled. The last man standing won his case.

Axver said:

As it stands, I think Tender Is The Night probably fits sonically best on my playlist, and lyrically they both work with my concept, but I think The Seabirds works just a little better lyrically and is the better song in general. But I'll give Lonely Stretch some consideration.

I second the Born Sandy Devotional recommendation. One of the best Australian albums in history.

Also, right now, I'm listening to Script Of The Bridge by The Chameleons. Don't Fall is possibly the best post-punk song ever. Anybody who likes Boy/October/War era U2 or Joy Division or Echo And The Bunnymen and such forth really MUST check out Script Of The Bridge.

No foreign pair of dark sunglasses
will ever shield you from
the light that pierces your eyelids,
the screaming of the gulls
feeding off the bodies of the fish
thrashing up the bay till it was red
turning the sky a cold dark colour
as they circled overhead.

He swam out to the edge of the reef
there were cuts across his skin
saltwater on his eyes and arms,
but he could not feel the sting
there was no one left to hold him back
no one to call out his name
dress him feed him drive him home
say "Little boy it doesn't have to end this way"

He announced their trial separation
and spent the night in a Park Beach Motel bed
a total stranger lying next to him
rain hitting the roof hard over his head
she said "What's the matter now lover boy
has the cat run off with your tongue?
Are you drinking to get maudlin
or drinking to get numb?"

He called out to the seabirds "Take me now,
I'm no longer afraid to die"
but they pretended not to hear him
and just watched him with their hard and bright black eyes
they could pick the eye from any dying thing
that lay within their reach
but they would not touch the solitary figure
lying tossed up on the beach.

So, where were you?

:drool: :drool:

major_panic said:

I second this. It's worked for me in the past.

major_panic said:

Lyrics to The Seabirds

:drool: :drool:

Actually, the first time I heard this song I couldn't make out half the lyrics. I told one of my mates "Dude, this song has nothing about seabirds in it, where's the relevance?"

His (somewhat sarcastic) answer was great: "They were a bunch of hippies in a rock band living in the 80s. They didn't do relevance."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom