Ugly Name Side, Pitcairn Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like look at this one. I think this is one of my best:

s640x480

I still don't think it's worth a damn though. Not something I'd like to show off. The sky's somewhat blown out, with that fade to white along the horizon. The whole image lacks colour vibrance, and some things really aren't very distinct, like the trees.

It's a well-balanced photo, not that I know anything about art compostion... All I know is what my dad said about having things in thirds... like putting the horizon (with or without the line) a third of the way down, rather than halfway down, or stuff like that.
And I don't think there's much you can do about the sky washing out near the horizon (sometimes it just does that in real life anyway), or colour vibrance... that's a camera issue or something you could tweak in photoshop if you know how to do stuff like that.

It's a well-balanced photo, not that I know anything about art compostion... All I know is what my dad said about having things in thirds... like putting the horizon (with or without the line) a third of the way down, rather than halfway down, or stuff like that.
And I don't think there's much you can do about the sky washing out near the horizon (sometimes it just does that in real life anyway), or colour vibrance... that's a camera issue or something you could tweak in photoshop if you know how to do stuff like that.

Yeah, I'm fairly content with the composition ... the house cut off on the side is a bit of a pain, but what can you do. I always have to deal with that, since I'm usually shooting in conditions too bright for me to see well enough to balance all the details. A fair share of my photo composition is luck.

Can't wait for the new camera to take much sharper photos, and to have more manual control so that I hopefully don't blow out the sky as much as I do. I've numerous photos that'd be so much better if I didn't have such a featureless sky.

One thing I learned is ground is more interesting than sky. Unless there are really cool clouds or something. But I make a conscious effort to put the horizon higher up than I used to. :shrug:

ETA: Also, Sky can be cropped... :D

One thing I learned is ground is more interesting than sky. Unless there are really cool clouds or something. But I make a conscious effort to put the horizon higher up than I used to. :shrug:

A featureless, blown-out sky looks pretty bad, though. I seem to do it a lot in the city. Compare the following examples, all at the Melbourne University sidings.

Blown-out sky:

s640x480

Only mildly blown-out:

s640x480

Well composed sky:

s640x480

Aah. First two pics had more clouds, I wonder if that has something to do with it.... Depending on where in the field of view my camera tries to auto-focus or whatever, I get that too... It's something to do with the contrast between the sky and the rest of it, and how much light is around, I think.

Aah. First two pics had more clouds, I wonder if that has something to do with it.... Depending on where in the field of view my camera tries to auto-focus or whatever, I get that too... It's something to do with the contrast between the sky and the rest of it, and how much light is around, I think.

Wouldn't say the first one has clouds, just an unrealistic plain white sky. :laugh:

Definitely the problem is more pronounced on cloudy days, though I've had it on sunny days too, just didn't quickly come across an example. Though this image is catastrophic - look at how the building at upper left just fades into a blown-out sky. What the fuck:

s640x480

Wouldn't say the first one has clouds, just an unrealistic plain white sky. :laugh:

Definitely the problem is more pronounced on cloudy days, though I've had it on sunny days too, just didn't quickly come across an example. Though this image is catastrophic - look at how the building at upper left just fades into a blown-out sky. What the fuck:

s640x480

Erk, that's a bit unfortunate.

I thought the first pic was overcast, it looks like there's a bit of blue behind the tree branches? Or maybe that's just because the branches block the light enough to show the blue... :scratch:

Or you were on an alien planet... :ohmy:

Erk, that's a bit unfortunate.

I thought the first pic was overcast, it looks like there's a bit of blue behind the tree branches? Or maybe that's just because the branches block the light enough to show the blue... :scratch:

Or you were on an alien planet... :ohmy:

Yeah, and looking at other photos, it seems I ALWAYS blow out the sky on LaTrobe Street, whether it's sunny or cloudy. That building's copped it a bit.

Hah, I can't tell what's going on with those branches. Maybe Melbourne was briefly transported to some other dimension with a white sky.

I have to let this out now.

OMFG I FINALLY GOT MY FUCKIN" CALCULUS GRADE BACK! AND ITS NOT EVEN BAD! ITS ENOUGH TO PASS!

:FUCKINGHELLYEA:

I so fucking suck at math, and this time the exam was so shitty and weird... and fuck me, I passed!

Yeah, and looking at other photos, it seems I ALWAYS blow out the sky on LaTrobe Street, whether it's sunny or cloudy. That building's copped it a bit.

Hah, I can't tell what's going on with those branches. Maybe Melbourne was briefly transported to some other dimension with a white sky.

That must be it :yes: LaTrobe street is a portal into the White Sky dimension...

I have to let this out now.

OMFG I FINALLY GOT MY FUCKIN" CALCULUS GRADE BACK! AND ITS NOT EVEN BAD! ITS ENOUGH TO PASS!

:FUCKINGHELLYEA:

I so fucking suck at math, and this time the exam was so shitty and weird... and fuck me, I passed!

:FUCKYEAH:!!! :yippie: :applaud: :hug: :dancing:

That's brilliant news :D

That must be it :yes: LaTrobe street is a portal into the White Sky dimension...

BEG seems to have something against LaTrobe Street. Maybe she discovered the secrets of the White Sky dimension and it wasn't pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom