UFO's--real or hoax? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2004, 11:57 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 08:42 AM
beLIEve?
__________________

__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 AM   #17
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 09:42 AM
The Truth Is Out There.
__________________

__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 06:26 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Niamh_Saoirse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 8,657
Local Time: 01:42 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the Marfa lights? I've never heard of them
__________________
Niamh_Saoirse is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:42 PM
That's interesting about the angel sightings in the 1800's and more recent UFO sightings. I once asked a question about UFO's in the Middle Ages on a historical listserver, if there had been any concept of them. The general opinion was they did not have any concept of UFO's, but rather interpreted every strange occurance in the sky as some sort of warning from God.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #20
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 03:42 AM
So in our intellectual evolution, cynicism takes over and we renounce God as the culprit and blame a new species.

Cynicism eats cynicism though.
Who knows.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,953
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Can't say I've ever seen one but I definitely do think that certain precentage of UFO sightings can't be explained. And I wouldn't dismiss the chance of extra-terrestrial life, even if it's just in the form of viruses or bacterias.

(Charles Berlitz wrote interesting books on that topic)
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:24 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Niamh_Saoirse
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the Marfa lights? I've never heard of them
You are NOT ignorant, they are a weird story from American folklore and I'm sure a lot of Americans have not heard of them either. I have because I've always been into 'weird' stuff.

Here's a link to some info:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...w/MM/lxm1.html

http://www.watchingyou.com/marfa.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/marfa.html

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...Marfa%20Lights

BTW congrats on GOLD in soccer and basketball!
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,920
Local Time: 10:42 AM
i definitely believe that there is other life out there, and i think it's very egocentric to think otherwise.

as far as UFO's, there are just so many eyewitness accounts to suggest that we have been visited by aliens. not denying that a good majority of these eyewitness accounts were false, but i've read many and many of stories that have been backed by both witnesses and physical evidence.

it's a scary thought, but it seems as if the "sightings" have been rapidly increasing since the 1940's. obviously, once again, social trends may also play a part in this, but it makes you wonder if we're getting closer to actually knowing the truth.
__________________
mikal is online now  
Old 09-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Niamh_Saoirse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 8,657
Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten


You are NOT ignorant, they are a weird story from American folklore and I'm sure a lot of Americans have not heard of them either. I have because I've always been into 'weird' stuff.

Here's a link to some info:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...w/MM/lxm1.html

http://www.watchingyou.com/marfa.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/marfa.html

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...Marfa%20Lights

BTW congrats on GOLD in soccer and basketball!
Thanks for the links and the compliments!

We are thrilled with the Gold medals!
__________________
Niamh_Saoirse is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Did anyone read that book, cant remember which one sorry? Where it was stated that the first tv broadcast was Hilter opening the Olympics in the 1940s ie the first signal to leave Earth, is Hitler.

Bummer, major big time. What an ambassador, not.
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #26
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Did anyone read that book, cant remember which one sorry? Where it was stated that the first tv broadcast was Hilter opening the Olympics in the 1940s ie the first signal to leave Earth, is Hitler.

Bummer, major big time. What an ambassador, not.
"Contact" by Carl Sagan.
__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #27
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
That's interesting about the angel sightings in the 1800's and more recent UFO sightings. I once asked a question about UFO's in the Middle Ages on a historical listserver, if there had been any concept of them. The general opinion was they did not have any concept of UFO's, but rather interpreted every strange occurance in the sky as some sort of warning from God.
But then again, there's always these from the 14th century:




More found here:
http://www.dudeman.net/siriusly/ufo/art.shtml
__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:06 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:42 AM
yeah, thank you

i knew it had been made into a film and i couldnt for the life of me remember.

and i have read the book AND seen the film lol
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:42 AM
There was some ancient Aboriginal rock art near where i grew up that was curious also. i will see if i can find a picture.
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 09-06-2004, 09:31 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:42 AM


Wandjina.
__________________

__________________
beli is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com