UConn Freshman in Critical Condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut freshman guard A.J. Price was in critical condition at Hartford Hospital on Tuesday with an undisclosed illness, a hospital spokeswoman said.

01_AJPriceAmityville.jpg
"The public should know that he is not contagious and does not represent a public health concern," spokeswoman Lee Monroe said.

School officials, citing federal privacy laws, declined to offer specifics.

Price was placed in intensive care after being hospitalized with flu-like symptoms, the Hartford Courant reported.

Price, 18, was flown by helicopter Monday from Windham Hospital, where he had gone for evaluation, the newspaper reported.

Price was considered a top national recruit when he was signed by the national champions out of Amityville High School in New York. He led Amityville to two state championships, and averaged 28.5 points last season.

amityville is the school that i coach at's biggest rival. we met them last year in the county finals... again... and ended up losing in the second half after being up as many as 12 in the first half. our best player had 34 points, AJ had 36. he's a good kid and a terrific talent and i wish him the best for a speedy recovery.

while i'm obviously still glad he didn't die... i feel disgusted at myself that i actually called him "a good kid," knowing full well at the time about his spotty behavior record in high school... call it a momentary lapse in judgement based upon the near-death circumstances... but now that he's healthy, i can go back to saying that he's a piece of trash...

VERNON, Conn. -- Connecticut point guard A.J. Price pleaded not guilty Tuesday to larceny charges stemming from the theft of laptop computers from an athletic dormitory.

Price, 19, and teammate Marcus Williams are accused of trying to sell four stolen laptops. Both have been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team.

Williams, a junior point guard, applied earlier this month for a special form of probation for first-time offenders. If he is accepted and successfully completes the program, his criminal record would be erased.

Price said nothing in court as his attorney, Michael Devlin, entered the not guilty plea on his behalf. He left the courthouse accompanied by his parents without talking to reporters.

Price has been charged with three counts of felony larceny and with lying to police, a misdemeanor. Williams, 19, faces four counts of third-degree larceny and up to five years in prison and $5,000 in fines.

Price is due back in court on Sept. 27. Williams is due back in court Sept. 13. The laptops, worth about $11,000, were stolen between June 9 and June 14.

Williams and Price had been expected to shore up the UConn backcourt, which has been hurt by off-court problems. Price missed the 2004-2005 season after a brain hemorrhage in October and has not yet been medically cleared for this coming year. Williams missed most of the 2003-2004 national championship season because of academic problems.[/b

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut suspended guard A.J. Price for the entire 2005-06 season as a result of his arrest on charges of trying to sell stolen laptops this summer, but has allowed co-defendant Marcus Williams to return to the team in December.

University officials announced the school-imposed sanctions on Friday.

Under the penalties handed down by the university's director of judicial affairs, the two point guards have been kicked out of campus housing and dining halls -- Price for three years and Williams until next August.

They also have been suspended for the 2005-06 academic year, but those suspensions were held in abeyance, meaning they can attend classes but could be expelled if they fail to meet several conditions. Price, a redshirt freshman, will return to classes in the spring semester, while Williams has been attending classes this semester.

Williams, a junior guard, can rejoin the team on Dec. 17 and will be available for the Jan. 3 game at Marquette.

The players also must complete several hours of community service, under the school penalties.

In their criminal cases, both applied for a special form of probation for first-time offenders. Williams was given 18 months of probation and must serve 400 hours of community service. Price's application for accelerated rehabilitation is pending and he is due back in court Nov. 15. Under the program, criminal charges are erased if defendants successfully complete the probation.

Price has yet to play a minute of college ball since arriving on campus last year. The Amityville (N.Y.) High School star led that team to a pair of state championships and averaged 28.5 points his senior year. But he suffered a brain hemorrhage in October 2004 during his freshman year at UConn and has not yet been medically cleared to play.

Williams missed most of the 2003-04 national championship season because of academic problems.

In statements released Friday, the players expressed remorse and apologized for their actions, saying they were eager to prove they were worthy of getting a second chance.

``Although this has been a negative experience, I will use it as a positive opportunity to move forward both in my capacity as a student and an athlete,'' Price said.

Williams said he regretted the embarrassment he caused for his family, coaches and fans.

``Most importantly,'' Williams said, ``I want to apologize to my teammates for the difficult position that I have put them through.''

The laptops were stolen between June 9 and June 14. Both players were arrested on larceny charges, and Price also was charged with lying to police, a misdemeanor.

The four laptops, which have a total value of $11,000, have been recovered. Two were recovered in Price's room.

Arrest warrant affidavits suggest that a friend of Williams' who does not attend the university stole the computers from dorm rooms belonging to incoming freshmen on the women's basketball team and a member of last year's women's track and field team. That person has not been charged.

Coach Jim Calhoun suspended the pair indefinitely from all team activities after their arrests in August. He called the university judicial process a fair and deliberate one.

``I have said since the beginning of this process that we should never be in the business of abandoning young men who have made a mistake and I am glad that we will not be doing that,'' Calhoun said.

:tsk:

the "led to two state titles" part still pisses me off the most about these aritcles...

Back
Top Bottom