Top Ten Reasons NHL Playoffs are better than NBA Playoffs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2003, 09:06 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Well, this is just a board... I mean if you were take a nation wide survey ... I'm sure people would disagree! Basekball is more popular and obviously people find it entertainment or they wouldn't watch!
well there was a nation wide survey on espn.com, well i guess more like world wide survey, but im sure the majority of people that go there are from the united states. here are the results, i have to say it surprised me since hockey is the least popular sport in the us;

Vote: NBA playoffs vs. NHL playoffs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsNation

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

(Your responses in bold text.)

1) Which sport's playoffs has more 'star power'?

66.8% NBA

33.2% NHL

2) Which is better?

81.5% The NHL's sudden death

18.5% A couple of NBA overtime periods

3) Which sport's playoffs has more suspense this season in terms of who will win it all?

75.2% NHL

24.8% NBA

4) What gets you more excited?

58.7% A 25-foot slap shot past the goalie

41.3% A dunk over a big man

5) Which would you rather watch in person?

68.7% NHL Finals Game 7

31.3% NBA Finals Game 7

6) Which is better?

70.8% NHL playoffs

29.2% NBA playoffs

Total Votes: 53,544

Old 04-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:17 PM
First off....geez! Chill out! I only stated my argument. You're getting downright crazy.

and you completely took what I said and twisted it...not a surprise...read it again. I wasn't saying that those sports didn't take talent, or weren't difficult. In my *opinion*, hockey is much more difficult.

We were talking about basketball and baseball. So I confined it to basketball and baseball--I didn't drag every single sport under the sun in. I never even said anything about figure skating!! Eesh! They all take talent and they all take skill. I *didn't* diminish the difficulty of *any* sport. And no, I haven't played soccer--but you haven't played hockey and I have, so we shouldn't even go there, should we? It's pointless.

I still stand by what I said. Just about anyone can go out and casually join a baseball or a basketball game and hold their own, if they know the rules. Not just anyone can gear up and go out and play hockey. They'll injure themselves and others.
And anyone who thinks that they can just go out there and play, will hopefully stay off skates.

I won't even bother arguing further because it's not even worth it even though I could and very much want to. I agree with Bbug--a fun debate shouldn't have turned this serious. Apparently, I needed more smileys in my initial post because I didn't mean it *that* seriously, certainly not seriously enough to warrant that kind of response. It's my opinion, one I still stand by, and is certainly shouldn't just be dismissed as crazy.

Like I said, I'm done.

Elisabeth

Old 04-27-2003, 09:21 PM   #18
Refugee

I already apoligized if I sounded "agressive" and when you said that Hockey is harder than any other sport on wood or grass... then you are talking about all other sports not just basketball and baseball! And yes I haven't played Hockey... so won't even say .. that the sports I play are harder than Hockey!

My point about that girl who played who played hockey is that anyone who wants to play it can.

When you post something like this you are bound to get reactions. That's all.

I'm through with this thread too. It is pointless.

Old 04-27-2003, 10:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

I mean, almost anyone can go to the court and play basketball and hold their own. Obviously, they aren't in the top physical condition and lack the skill of someone in the NBA...but it's a sport just about anyone can play. So is baseball. I'm not arguing that these sports take no talent or physical effort--they do--it's just not at the level that hockey requires.
Again, I'm not trying to diminish the hard work and skill of a basketball or baseball player. But a hockey player works far harder than either of them.
Yes, anyone who can stand on two feet can go out to a court, pick up a basketball, and shoot around. This is true. I wouldn't call it basketball though... I'd call it a couple of schmo's running up and down with an orange sphere. Anyone who can skate can go out on the ice and slap a puck around, but would you call that hockey?

As for baseball... you're not eve close. Yes, anyone could go and play slow pitch softball in the local beer league. Baseball is another story. If a major league baseball player fails to get a hit 70% of the time over the course of his career... he's a hall of famer. If he fails only 65% of the time, he's a legend.

To say a hockey players work harder than basketball players and baseball players is just silly. Players in all of those sports work just as hard as the others. I played college basketball at a school that was more a hockey school than a hoops school. When the hockey guys were up doing their dry-lands, we were up doing sprints. When they were in the weight room, we were in the weight room. An athlete is an athlete. Wayne Gretzky worked just as hard as Michael Jordan who worked just as hard as Barry Bonds who worked just as hard as Joe Montana who worked just as hard as Mia Hamm who worked just as hard as Martina Navratilova who worked just as hard as Lance Armstrong. They all just worked hard at different things.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:46 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Not to be an ass or start an argument but if there is one thing i cannot stand are generalizations that people make about sports. Professional and most college athletes are in 110% better shape than anyone on this site. It irks me to no end when people make general and ignorant statements regarding athlete’s talent and their physical condition. It doesn’t matter what sport it is those athletes are condition to play at 110% be it hockey, soccer, basketball, tennis, baseball, football, track and field, swimming, cycling, etc. the physical regime they go through to make sure their shape is in top condition would put most of the people on this site to shame. If it wasn’t for the extensive workouts that any of these athlete’s go through injuries would be plentiful and competition would be boring.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:47 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

bowlers are fat
Old 04-28-2003, 12:50 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
and you are an ass
Old 04-28-2003, 12:51 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

please dont generalize me like that
Old 04-28-2003, 12:53 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

not a general statement more of a fact!
Old 04-28-2003, 12:55 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

generalizations suck
Old 04-28-2003, 12:55 AM   #26
New Yorker

You know, why don't some of you bottle this up and send it in e-mail to Jim Armstrong, since he's the one that made the original comment "Hockey players work harder"? Which I simply agreed with?

And I just love it when people constantly put words in my mouth. Honestly. Go back and read my post. I NEVER said other athletes do not work hard. I never said they were out of shape. I simply said hockey players work harder--just like Mr. Armstrong did. I don't care if people disagree with me, but this is just ridiculous. Like I said, if you care so much, send it to the guy who gets *paid* to churn it out.

Now I really am done.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

chizip sucks!

avsgirl sorry
Old 04-28-2003, 01:02 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

this debate is ridic

i think we all know the athletes who work the hardest are rock paper scissorers

i suggest you check out this website, especially check out the message board, its funny funny stuff:

http://www.worldrps.com/

some people take some things a liiiitttle too seriously.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:14 AM   #29
New Yorker

I'm sorry to get upset. But I am tired of feeling attacked in what should have been a casual debate.

I come off looking like the psycho. I think I'll stay out of this board until next hockey season, at any rate.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:16 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

aww no you are not. chizip is the psycho. people get heated over many things esp sports. it is no different than being around with a bunch of friends. sometimes people will take things the wrong way when the point was not meant to piss someone off. anyway don't apologize.