This is probably my favorite rap song!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Mr. Wendal - Arrested Development

Those who don't know what I'm talking about, watch this video. Pay attention to the lyrics. Not only is the music catchy, the lyrics mean something!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wqw14_g5dzM

This is the kind of rap I love and I need recommendations! I don't know much rap music but I cannot stand the Jay Z style contemporary rap that gets played on TV. I do like some gangsta rap like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Biggie... if nothing but for the music and the bass groove in particular.

Another favorite is Regulate...G Funk Era by Warren G featuring Nate Dogg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhWGDGHupYA

Mainly for the music really... what a great groove! :dance:

Yeah, you guys got recommendations for good rap albums? If possible something similar to the sound of Mr. Wendal or Regulate?

Zootlesque said:
Mr. Wendal - Arrested Development

Those who don't know what I'm talking about, watch this video. Pay attention to the lyrics. Not only is the music catchy, the lyrics mean something!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wqw14_g5dzM

This is the kind of rap I love and I need recommendations! I don't know much rap music but I cannot stand the Jay Z style contemporary rap that gets played on TV. I do like some gangsta rap like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Biggie... if nothing but for the music and the bass groove in particular.

Another favorite is Regulate...G Funk Era by Warren G featuring Nate Dogg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhWGDGHupYA

Mainly for the music really... what a great groove! :dance:

Yeah, you guys got recommendations for good rap albums? If possible something similar to the sound of Mr. Wendal or Regulate?

You don't like the total badass-ness of Mr. M.C. Hammer and Sir Vanilla Ice?:sad:

Re: Re: This is probably my favorite rap song!

U2isthebest said:
You don't like the total badass-ness of Mr. M.C. Hammer and Sir Vanilla Ice?:sad:

Sir? :lmao:

Oh yeah them too! At least Hammer had a few songs under his belt! Vanilla Ice had what, one song? :lol:

Re: Re: Re: This is probably my favorite rap song!

Zootlesque said:

Sir? :lmao:

Oh yeah them too! At least Hammer had a few songs under his belt! Vanilla Ice had what, one song? :lol:

It did *NOT* sample "Under Pressure" in any way, shape, or form, so you better get over that, Mr!:tsk:

Vanilla Ice was on the Surreal Life. Ergo, he wins at life!:rockon:

Actually, the Arrested Development page on allmusic has everything...

Influenced By

* De La Soul
* Bob Marley
* Sly & the Family Stone

Similar Artists

* Dionne Farris
* Me Phi Me
* Def Jef
* P.M. Dawn
* Dream Warriors
* 4th Avenue Jones
* Stetsasonic
* The Brand New Heavies
* Queen Latifah
* A Tribe Called Quest
* Prime Minister Pete Nice & Daddy Rich
* Spearhead
* The Pharcyde
* G. Love & Special Sauce
* Funkdoobiest
* The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
* Black Sheep
* Gumbo
* Erykah Badu
* Digable Planets

I do like me some Dionne Farris, PM Dawn, Brand New Heavies and Digable Planets! I should probably check out Sly & The Family Stone. :hmm:

But I would still like to hear all your thoughts and recs. :)

I don't know enough about old skool hippity hopz to reccommend much for ya

however if you're simply looking for rap that actually has some socially conscious method or meaning

try Mos Def, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Jurassic 5, Cadence Weapon

and Outkast is pretty much the best rap group ever

also Dem Real Nice Boyz

http://www.myspace.com/demrealniceboyz

Thanks AB! Yeah Arrested Development was the big political and socially conscious rap group of the early 90s! I'll try out your recs!

I've heard some Outkast but still not a big fan. Maybe I gotta listen more.

Zootlesque said:

I've heard some Outkast but still not a big fan. Maybe I gotta listen more.

have you heard their earlier stuff? Like pre-2000? If you're more into older hip hop that may be more your style. Personally I think Aquemini is the best rap album ever :drool: of course I don't listen to a ton of rap so :wink:

Zootlesque said:
but still not a big fan.

I think that's the nastiest thing I've ever heard you say about a song :wink:

Thanks for this thread Zoots - I'd forgotten all about Mr. Wendal, and I used to love that song.

snowbunny00774 said:

stop posting 90's threads!! :drool:

dude Zoots is not stuck in the 90's

didn't you see his Hey There Delilah thread? Zootles is clearly hip and with it :tsk:

srsly guys...DRNB

AtomicBono said:

That's what I'm talking about! :applaud: I love that kind of mid tempo almost easy going rap with the bassy melodic groove going :drool: A lot of songs like that from the 90s! Another reason why the 90s kicked some serious ass! :drool: :wink:

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzick :drool:

Zoots!!! I :love: Arrested Development. However, I think I liked Tennessee more than Mr. Wendel.

I'll have to 2nd what AB said about Mos Def :drool:, Talib Kweli :heart:, and The Roots (?est Love is sooooo sexy!) I'll also suggest some Blackalicious, Dead Presidents, and A Tribe Called Quest.

sidenote: I know ALL of the lyrics to Regulate by heart :flirt:

The Lauryn Hill record is good. Too bad she can't seem to embark on a comeback without screwing it up by acting weird. I wish she'd buckle down and make another record.

I loved Mr. Wendal and Tennessee. I liked the record at first, but after a while, their seriousness got on my nerves. Dude. Lighten UP!

Go 'head, Mr. Wendal ...

And yes, Zoots. You MUST check out Sly & the Family Stone.

Yes, Miseducation is a great album. I listen to it regularly. I hope that over the years, Lauryn Hill has changed a bit, because she is very talented. I think she got in trouble for saying something like she didn't want white people buying her album or something. At least...that's what I heard. I say, if they friggin let that racist Common continue to make music, then why the hell not let Lauryn? Perhaps she's changed.

Fugees - The Score is also a great album :up: lol the Chinese restaurant extra cracks me up every time!

Sly is amazing :dance:

You should also listen to Jill Scott!

unico said:
Yes, Miseducation is a great album. I listen to it regularly. I hope that over the years, Lauryn Hill has changed a bit, because she is very talented. I think she got in trouble for saying something like she didn't want white people buying her album or something. At least...that's what I heard. I say, if they friggin let that racist Common continue to make music, then why the hell not let Lauryn? Perhaps she's changed.

Fugees - The Score is also a great album :up: lol the Chinese restaurant extra cracks me up every time!

Sly is amazing :dance:

You should also listen to Jill Scott!

Forgive Them Father is one of the best songs of the 90s:heart:

corianderstem said:
And yes, Zoots. You MUST check out Sly & the Family Stone.

Was listening to some samples just now. They're not really rap, are they? More like funk and soul. Which led me to James Brown. Don't have anything by him either!

If I'm not mistaken, rap originated only in the 80s...? and probably stemmed from R&B, funk & soul....? That's my guess.. I don't know much about this :reject: :wink:

corianderstem said:
The Lauryn Hill record is good.

I second that. The only annoying thing about that album (and also on The Score by The Fugees) are the skits. Not only are they annoying (as usual), but they're also tacked to the end of the songs, so you can't easily skip them. :grumpy:

Another recommendation is Spearhead. On their first album Home they were still close to rap/hip hop (with that funk/soul/reggae vibe thrown in). Later albums are a bit more rock oriented. Still excellent stuff though (also on the albums Stay Human and Yell Fire).

And yes, Sly & The Family Stone are funk/soul and not rap. They were a late 60s, early 70s act and created the template (i.e. were the source of many samples) for the rap acts. Rap didn't appear (overground) until the late 70s.

And oh, get some James Brown definitely! If you see it somewhere, get the Star Time boxset without hesitation. Amazing songs, revealing liner notes and 4+ hours of soul/funk/early rap.

:up:

Run DMC were one of the first in rap/hip hop I think :scratch:

:love: The Roots and Jurassic 5

I liked one of the videos Lauren Hill did in the 90's but I can't remember the name right now.

The 90's music :drool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recs, Marty! :up:

Oh I just remembered another Lauryn Hill song. If I Ruled The World by Nas featuring Lauryn. It's on youtube too! :drool: :wink:

Sly & the Family Stone are one of the greatest groups ever, in any genre. Period.

There is no way to fully describe the influence they have had on modern rock, rap, r&b, whatever. Amazing socially conscious lyrics, groundbreaking sounds...just phenomenal. They've been sampled so many times you probably know more than you think you do.

I would recommend a compilation to start, Z. They have a Greatest Hits that is one of those "Nice Price" albums from Columbia that will run less than $10. I would suggest getting the Sly & the Family Stone Anthology collection instead, which runs about 7-8 songs longer and contains more of their later, edgier material. It's also budget priced. There's a newer release called "The Essential Sly & the Family Stone", but it's 2 CDs, costs more than Anthology, and might be a bit too overwhelming for an intro with 35 tracks. It's remastered though and probably has great liner notes.

If you do any torrent downloading, you can find many of the newly remastered albums pretty easily. If you're going to do studio albums instead of compilations, I'd say start with Stand!, which has most of their recognizable hits, or Dance to the Music. Then I'd look into There's A Riot Going On, which is much darker, but considered their masterpiece by many. After that you've got Life, and Fresh, both worth having in their entirety.

Happy listening. You are in for a hell of a treat.

Back
Top Bottom