This Baby's Mustache, America Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

I'd like to see the ones you have there! :up:

just edited the post with a most recent pic, and a link to older archived pics. To be honest I'm not sure what exactly is in operation any more, on most of the lines they use the one pictured above. There's one line that runs along the waterfront that uses the old cars, most likely for 'touristy' purposes or whatever..

streetcar-4000-98.jpg

Trams in the snow! That's pretty neat.

It pretty much doesn't happen in Melbourne. I'm sure you can find a few historical examples, but it is by no means frequent.

coolian2 said:

Same.

I hope we go from the two of us picspamming with stories to more people contributing. It's good fun.

Agreed. I really enjoy it.

Might give me incentive to more frequently take more diverse photos than just trams too. :wink:

Here's two Z3s (which date from 1979-1984) passing on William Street as they cross Collins Street. The one on the left is running away from camera; the one on the right is coming towards me. I like the reflection in its windscreen from a nearby building.

s640x480

gvox said:
Ha Ax that pic of the TTC tram...SNOW :mad:

I don't want to see another snowflake for a good 6 months or more, preferably.

I haven't been to the snow in over a decade myself!

Here's a Z3 tram using the Dudley Street terminus at William Street's north end. This is pretty rare. The route 55 normally turns right here and proceeds to West Coburg on the tracks in the foreground. The Dudley Street terminus was used frequently until I believe 1998, but is now only used when trams on St Kilda Road are diverted and have to run through the city on William Street rather than Swanston Street. On 22/02/08, the routes 3, 64, and 67 were diverted via William Street for a few hours, so I went down to check it out.

s640x480

Axver said:

And we just hate this thread's location and want it to die a swift death.

too bad you missed last night man. i seriously got free margaritas from a dude with staples in his head. fun times! and i'm surprised im not feeling horrible. i'm at work now and perfectly fine. perhaps i have achieved my goal of building up my tolerance before starting my doctoral program.

As part of diverting the routes 3, 64, and 67 up the route 55 through the city, it meant some types of trams rarely seen on the route 55 showed up. This included the Z1. It was built 1975-78, then the visually identical Z2 1978-79, and then the Z3 1979-84. The Z1 can be distinguished from the Z3 by the lack of a door at front right, the different spacing of the side door and windows, and the fact its wheels are uncovered.

s640x480

Axver said:
As part of diverting the routes 3, 64, and 67 up the route 55 through the city, it meant some types of trams rarely seen on the route 55 showed up. This included the Z1. It was built 1975-78, then the visually identical Z2 1978-79, and then the Z3 1979-84. The Z1 can be distinguished from the Z3 by the lack of a door at front right, the different spacing of the side door and windows, and the fact its wheels are uncovered.

s640x480

that reminds me of the Obey The Crab

Here's a Z3 coming out of the Dudley Street terminus. At right is the line up Peel Street that the route 55 uses.

s640x480

And here's a Z1 (left) and Z3 (right) side-by-side, which hopefully shows some of the differences I mentioned.

s640x480

unico said:

too bad you missed last night man. i seriously got free margaritas from a dude with staples in his head. fun times! and i'm surprised im not feeling horrible. i'm at work now and perfectly fine. perhaps i have achieved my goal of building up my tolerance before starting my doctoral program.

:lol: Wow.

Wait ... staples in his head?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom