This Baby's Mustache, America Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

:lol: The weather is wildly variable here, but the Bureau of Meteorology know what they're doing and I rarely find their daily maximum predictions are off. It's just WHEN the daily maximum comes! 10am? 2pm? 7pm? The Bureau sometimes at least advises when it may be, if it's going to be an especially unusual time (like one day when we hit 38 or so at 10:30am and proceeded to enjoy a day in the mid-20s).

Four Seasons in One Day in Melbourne, or so i hear.

Now i'll move on to the former home of rugby league in Auckland, Carlaw Park.

Currently bulldozed and being converted into an old folks home, i got there the day before the tore down the old wooden stand.

IMG_0467.jpg

Here's a closer side-on view of the C class tram in my last picture.

s640x480

coolian2 said:
Now i'll move on to the former home of rugby league in Auckland, Carlaw Park.

Currently bulldozed and being converted into an old folks home, i got there the day before the tore down the old wooden stand.

IMG_0467.jpg

I bet that made you weep.

I got to Athletic Park only once. It was after the stands were torn down and just rubble was left in their place, but the playing field was untouched. So in light drizzle, I went for a run down the sideline. That was pretty neat.

In the foreground is an A class. In the background is the longer, articulated form, the B2 class. Here they are both on Collins Street, waiting to cross King Street.

s640x480

coolian2 said:

Yep, still feels like Symonds Street. Trees and buildings almost right on top of the road plus a small incline...

:lol: I know some of Auckland, but I'm not familiar with Symonds Street.

Axver said:

I bet that made you weep.

I got to Athletic Park only once. It was after the stands were torn down and just rubble was left in their place, but the playing field was untouched. So in light drizzle, I went for a run down the sideline. That was pretty neat.

It really didn't bother me. I'm not really of the era that considered Carlaw Park the home of Auckland league.

As you can see, in it's latter days it was more of a Carlaw Park

IMG_0412.jpg

Here's a more side-on view of the A class, still on Collins Street but a bit further up.

s640x480

coolian2 said:

It really didn't bother me. I'm not really of the era that considered Carlaw Park the home of Auckland league.

As you can see, in it's latter days it was more of a Carlaw Park

IMG_0412.jpg

Carlaw Park? Lawlz, man, lawlz.

All I knew is the name. When was it in use?

Here's a B2 turning off William Street onto Flinders Lane. It's the only time a tram line goes down a CBD laneway, and it goes just one block, to get from William St to Market St.

To contextualise things, Flinders Lane is about the same as the average street in Wellington! I've no fucking clue how they fit trams down Wellington's narrow streets. :lol:

s640x480

coolian2 said:

I don't know the exact dates, but i'd have to guess from maybe 1930s to 2000 or so.

Ah, OK. I thought the Worriers had always played at Mt Smart?

coolian2 said:

:lol:

I can tell it's a push-pull set made from renovated British Rail Mk II carriages.

I love the building behind the line with a window on its lower floor essentially dug into the driveway.

Axver said:

Ah, OK. I thought the Worriers had always played at Mt Smart?

Yeah, they had. I've always considered Mt Smart to be Auckland league just because that's what i've known for most of my life.

Apparently Carlaw Park used to be a feared ground for visiting teams though.

Here's a Z3 turning off William Street onto Flinders Lane.

When I took this photo, I got a really fucking odd look from this woman near me. I guess she's just not cool enough for life or something.

s640x480

coolian2 said:

Yeah, they had. I've always considered Mt Smart to be Auckland league just because that's what i've known for most of my life.

Apparently Carlaw Park used to be a feared ground for visiting teams though.

Ahh, OK. So who used to play at Carlaw Park? My awareness of league history is unsurprisingly very poor.

coolian2 said:
I really like this picture. Probably one of the few parts not covered with graffiti.

IMG_0454.jpg

Wow, not tagged. :ohmy:

One thing that has struck me about most of Auckland that I've seen is the extreme prevalence of graffiti. I think the only place I've seen that matches it is Beenleigh, between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Oh, and the railway line to the northern Brisbane suburb of Shorncliffe is pretty shocking too.

I always feel it drags the tone of an area down.

coolian2 said:
And my last Carlaw Park one, for now, the ticket stand/gates.

IMG_0442.jpg

Holy shit, that thing's been graffitied to within an inch of its life!

Axver said:

Ahh, OK. So who used to play at Carlaw Park? My awareness of league history is unsurprisingly very poor.

I'd imagine it was probably used for big games in the Auckland competition. It was also used for New Zealand games and Auckland Rep games.

In 1977, the Auckland rep team beat Australia, England and France in consecutive weeks in an unprecedented performance by a rep side, considering the NZ national side had trouble being all three of those nations.

Last year the Warriors honoured that team by playing in a replica of the Auckland rep strip.

wwThumb.php

I personally wish they'd always play in that jersey.

Axver said:

Wow, not tagged. :ohmy:

One thing that has struck me about most of Auckland that I've seen is the extreme prevalence of graffiti. I think the only place I've seen that matches it is Beenleigh, between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Oh, and the railway line to the northern Brisbane suburb of Shorncliffe is pretty shocking too.

I always feel it drags the tone of an area down.

Not tagged and largely not broken.

I fucking hate the graffiti here. The fucking place feels like a ghetto sometimes. Even the buses which are really nice normally still get some graffiti in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom