The "Where do I start?" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2DMfan said:

The Rising Tide is not a compilation it's actually their last album as SDRE. You are right though, it's very good. I would recommend it to any U2 fan. The only other album I have by them is the 'Pink Album' actually it's called LP2 (but they call it that because the cover is Pink) . It's pretty good, not nearly as accessible or frankly as good as The Rising Tide.

:up: Thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember if it was a compilation or not.

I heard someone once mention that in their opinion Ringo had the best post Beatles song of the four... anyone know what they may have been referring to?

COBL_04 said:
I heard someone once mention that in their opinion Ringo had the best post Beatles song of the four... anyone know what they may have been referring to?

My guess would be "It Don't Come Easy." It's a good song for sure, but a pretty long way away from being the best post Beatles song of the four of them.

Like, a LONG way.

COBL_04 said:
Sounds like something I may have written.

It is indeed "It Don't Come Easy", and it was a great melancholy bit of optimism from Ringo. I think he was the only one of the lot who could write about the four of them without being too bitter, post breakup.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZubW0xqsbRw&feature=related

elevated_u2_fan said:
The Flaming Lips?

(I already own Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots)

Soft Bulletin. It's as highly rated/regarded as Yoshimi, and I probably slightly prefer it over Yoshimi personally. Both are very enjoyable though.

elevated_u2_fan said:
The Flaming Lips?

(I already own Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots)

I'd also suggest The Soft Bulletin, then At War With the Mystics. From there, you could explore their back catalogue, which is vastly different from the three previously mentioned albums. Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, and In a Priest Driven Ambulance would be my suggestions.

If you're feeling really ambitious and have 4 CD players, pick up Zaireeka. It's a 4 disc set that's meant to be played simultaneously. Or, if you look around online a bit, people have put together stereo mixes that combine all 4 discs into one.

onebloodonelife said:
If you're feeling really ambitious and have 4 CD players, pick up Zaireeka. It's a 4 disc set that's meant to be played simultaneously. Or, if you look around online a bit, people have put together stereo mixes that combine all 4 discs into one.

That sounds... complicated. :huh:

elevated_u2_fan said:

That sounds... complicated. :huh:

It is.

I don't have the 4 disc set, but I did download the stereo mix. It's a good listen. And, Zaireeka is the album that began their current sound with layers, synthesizers, and the generally experimental vibe.

What about Cat Stevens? Does he have any songs that are better tahn Father and Son? :drool:

And Elvis Costello... don't wanna commit to an album, but what are his best songs?

COBL_04 said:
What about Cat Stevens? Does he have any songs that are better tahn Father and Son? :drool:

And Elvis Costello... don't wanna commit to an album, but what are his best songs?

Cat Stevens 'Tea for the Tillerman' is pretty solid all the way through, and 'Teaser & the Firecat' also. Few others include 'Trouble', 'Katmandu', 'If You Wanna Sing Out'.

EC has done many different styles through the years. Any songs you like by him already?

:)

hardyharhar said:

Cat Stevens 'Tea for the Tillerman' is pretty solid all the way through, and 'Teaser & the Firecat' also. Few others include 'Trouble', 'Katmandu', 'If You Wanna Sing Out'.

EC has done many different styles through the years. Any songs you like by him already?

:)

No that's the thing, I don't know any of his work, apart from the song he sung with Burt Bacharach in the Austin Powers movie, which I liked.

COBL_04 said:

No that's the thing, I don't know any of his work, apart from the song he sung with Burt Bacharach in the Austin Powers movie, which I liked.

:hmm: You may prefer his more recent works to his earlier days. I'm guessing the song you speak of is "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" by Burt Bacharach. Is that the song from Austing Powers.
If so, maybe you like the 60's pop & motown sound? Then you could try 'Get Happy' for faster motown style pop or even Kojak Variety for a more polished & eclectic 60's r&b slant. :huh: Hope that helps a bit, he's got huge library.

So difficult to pick something, I agree. With Elvis I think it really does help to start with a collection. The original Best Of was a pretty comprehensive one. Girls, Girls, Girls may be too much for a beginner.

onebloodonelife said:

It is.

I don't have the 4 disc set, but I did download the stereo mix. It's a good listen. And, Zaireeka is the album that began their current sound with layers, synthesizers, and the generally experimental vibe.

I may end up making a short film with a friend with Zaireeka as the soundtrack. It truly is an overlooked gem of an album.

For the F'Lips, start with their post-Zaireeka albums, then just work backward.

Speaking of Cat Stevens, listen to "Father and Son" and the F'Lips' "Fight Test" back-to-back.

And I'm reading your review right now.

hardyharhar said:

Ok, who's gonna help me get started with Daft Punk?

Discovery! Discovery! Discovery! :hyper:

:lol:

Start with "Discovery", their 2nd album. Then get "Homework", their 1st album.

Skip over "Human After All" and go straight to "Alive 2007". It's got all the best bits from "Human After All", but raised from their dead, robotic, catatonic loop states and brought back to life in the live mix.

1. Discovery
2. Homework
3. Alive 2007

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I need an audio + video bootleg of Alive 2007. I have many of the audio bootlegs from the tour, but I want a video one. That tour's visuals were so AMAZINGLY, AMAZINGLY STUNNING!!! I need to see it again!! :combust:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I disagree with you, fellow UYMFA Musketeer.

Clouds Taste Metallic is where it's at. That and Soft Bulletin are the best entry points. Mystics and Yoshimi are great, but come on.

Clouds is tied as my favorite with Yoshimi, but if you're getting a starter course with their familiar sound, I think you need to hit those albums first then let Clouds soak in later.

You can't go wrong with any of them though.

LemonMelon said:

I disagree with you, fellow UYMFA Musketeer.

Clouds Taste Metallic is where it's at. That and Soft Bulletin are the best entry points. Mystics and Yoshimi are great, but come on.

But, the original poster said that he had Yoshimi and wanted to know where else to go. Clouds is definitely better than Mystics, but Mystics is representative of the current sound. Like LMP said though, can't go wrong with any of them.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I may end up making a short film with a friend with Zaireeka as the soundtrack. It truly is an overlooked gem of an album.

Speaking of Cat Stevens, listen to "Father and Son" and the F'Lips' "Fight Test" back-to-back.

And I'm reading your review right now.

On the short film: Awesome! :up:

Yep, the Lips actually pay royalties to Cat Stevens for "Fight Test." I forget how much it is, but if you search around a bit, Wayne mentions it frequently.

Thanks! :)

onebloodonelife said:

On the short film: Awesome! :up:

Yep, the Lips actually pay royalties to Cat Stevens for "Fight Test." I forget how much it is, but if you search around a bit, Wayne mentions it frequently.

Thanks! :)

It was mentioned on the iTunes Originals set a while back.

Back
Top Bottom