The verdict on Pete Yorn... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2003, 10:36 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:14 PM
digi, you make excellent points and while I have only seen PY once, i share alot of your opinions......

Old 05-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #47
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am
I'm not even going to comment on this thread anymore. It's just making me
I hope you are not reading my comments as me saying he is no good - because that is not what i am saying.

Old 05-29-2003, 06:51 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:14 PM
I came not to conquer
the forum
but to
enligten the forum
Old 05-30-2003, 01:21 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:14 PM
diamond, please stop saying comments like that. i may be less than half your age, but i'm intelligent enough to realize your condescention--and i do not appreciate it. i strongly believe that every mockery, joke, or sarcastic comment has at least an incling of true feelings behind it. and i think you're confusing the words "higher standards" with the words "different taste"...

as for the topic at hand, i do think that some of his songs are silly or "brain candy"-ish, but i have 2 responses: 1) everyone has some silly songs in their collection... and 2) he is yet in his first few years of writing. u2 had some pretty stupid lyrics back in the day too (wham bam? ), but now i just laugh and remember that it's a stepping stone. pete has amazing potential. better yet, he is still a super nice guy...
Old 05-30-2003, 01:13 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 06-11-2003, 02:16 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

futhurmore..
the title being "the verdict.."
should not be taken literally.

it's a figure of speech

thank
u
db3
Old 06-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #52
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't like his name.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

I like his records. They're good.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #54
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Records schmecords. I like to dance funny.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #55
The Fly

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Stories for Boys
diamond, please stop saying comments like that. i may be less than half your age, but i'm intelligent enough to realize your condescention--and i do not appreciate it. i strongly believe that every mockery, joke, or sarcastic comment has at least an incling of true feelings behind it. and i think you're confusing the words "higher standards" with the words "different taste"...

pete has amazing potential. better yet, he is still a super nice guy...
First I want to thank you for being so cool about this whole discussion. Very mature.

Second, your comment about Pete's personality, at least his public persona, is right on. I had the chance to chat with him at a show once. We were interrupted by someone who knew him and he made it a point to finish our conversation before moving on. A small gesture I know, but I've met other musicians who lack even that common courtesy. But moreover, I just felt like he was genuine.

As far as the comments that he's some sort of pre-packaged music hunk who's marketed on his looks, I don't see it. I think he's kind of ordinary looking, even slightly un-attractive, though I could see certain types of girls digging his overall vibe.

I'm also mystified by the whole sponsorship thing, but my guess is that he doesn't care. It's too easy to just dismiss him as a sell-out, because his statements and lyrics suggest he's a different type of person. My guess is his feeling is similar to U2's, though perhaps more compromised--and that is, get the music out, let that be the most important thing. If someone or some company wants to do that in exchange for a banner or a brand name on the ticket stub, whatever. I don't exactly agree with it, but I'm not going to judge him based on those moves.
(Different in U2's case, in which their "compromise" was to do such uncool things as play the Superbowl and NBA Championships, Letterman, SNL, etc. But both types of moves generally upset the purists in the same way.)

Last point, as if anyone cares at this point: I actually quite like "Day I Forgot." I see it as a natural extension of "MFTMA," except with a few more liberties and indulgences musically. I think it takes a some guts to put a song like "Carlos (Dont' Let It Go to Your Head)" on your album when you know it's fairly inaccessible. I think there's all kinds of little Wilco-esque musical quirks on the album that are intended to be subtle creative embellishments (the little bell sounds on "So Much Work," the high guitar/mandolin notes on "Crystal Village.") I think they're just an attempt to make the music a tad bit different, give it a slightly different hue, a bit of an awkward tilt. I actually think it works, in most cases.

Burrito -- hey, this is a fun song about young love. Just turn it up and drive fast. Nothing more.