The Temple Bar - Lemons UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Perhaps according to opinion, but not according to the census bureau. It is a culture, not a race. At least the Jewish are not considered to be a race in the U.S. U R RONG. In all my job apps when they ask to fill out that voluntary survey, Jewish is not listed.

Last edited:
unico said:
Nope. Perhaps according to opinion, but not according to the census bureau. It is a culture, not a race. At least the Jewish are not considered to be a race in the U.S. U R RONG. In all my job apps when they ask to fill out that voluntary survey, Jewish is not listed.

I mean, technically speaking, it's a religion. You choose to be Jewish. However, over the years, it's come to represent a culture as well.

I think that the US Supreme Court ruled that Jews are a race, but, that was to protect us from anti-discrimination laws. Most Jews I know are touchy about being referred to as a race.

No spoken words said:

I mean, technically speaking, it's a religion. You choose to be Jewish. However, over the years, it's come to represent a culture as well.

Yeah, I understood it to be a culture as well. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I came to that conclusion because, from my understanding, there are quite a number of people who practice in Jewish traditions but do not necessarily share Judiasm religious beliefs...right?

And Regg, you aren't completely wrong. I do think that a few decades ago the SCOTUS determined that Jewish was a race to be included in anti-discrimination laws...but ultimately it is not.

ETA: I'm slow and just now saw NSW posted the same damn thing. I'll just add that I think the controversy behind referring to Jews as a race is because that's the bullshit propaganda that nazi germany passed around.

Last edited:
Well yeah, my opinion is based on claims that Hitler tried to wipe out the "Jewish Race"...it doesn't mean I M RITE....:shrug:

I'm Catholic...and that ain't no race...:no:...so I will agree with you and...uh....OK...and NSW...:|

:D

While on the topic of race though, I was talking with my professor last year and he said that there is discussion now that the number of classifications of race/ethnicity could increase dramatically. I wish I remembered the number, but I do remember it was huge.

Hello!!! It's lunchtime at the IHOH.

Mia, I've heard of this but isn't this pertaining more to ethnicity than race since race is determined by characteristics and ethnicity crosses boundaries?

unico said:

Yeah, I understood it to be a culture as well. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I came to that conclusion because, from my understanding, there are quite a number of people who practice in Jewish traditions but do not necessarily share Judiasm religious beliefs...right?

And Regg, you aren't completely wrong. I do think that a few decades ago the SCOTUS determined that Jewish was a race to be included in anti-discrimination laws...but ultimately it is not.

ETA: I'm slow and just now saw NSW posted the same damn thing. I'll just add that I think the controversy behind referring to Jews as a race is because that's the bullshit propaganda that nazi germany passed around.

Being referred to as a race freaks a lot of older Jews out, due to the connections to Nazi Germany, yes.

And, Mia, here, and in Israel, the number of people who call themselves Jewish, but do not actually believe in G-d rises annually.

I'm usually right, Reg, thought you noticed that by now.

:)

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Oh please have HR call Beav...please...:pray:

Hey Beav...Merry Christmas....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxLBdkN7OI

I wish I had speakers on my PC here. I'll check it when I get home. Thanks - Merry Christmas. :D

I don't know about the whole Jewish "racism" thing, all I know is that this guy is claiming he was fired because he was Jewish, which is nonsense, because then whitey would be firing a good percentage of this office. He was fired because he didn't work. And he threatened people. And he was just all around a failure. Why can't people just accept that they suck and move along?

lynnok said:
Hello!!! It's lunchtime at the IHOH.

Mia, I've heard of this but isn't this pertaining more to ethnicity than race since race is determined by characteristics and ethnicity crosses boundaries?

ah, you're right. i think it is more ethnicity. it is interesting though how on some surveys race is combined with ethnicity.

They added a writing section.

They give you the scores for each section, though, so I know what my "normal" 1600 version would be too.

Alright, I'll post traditional and 2400 score guesses:
Mia - 1180/1999
Beav - 1210/1810

I didn't take the SAT. I only took the ACT, because both schools I was looking closest at didn't require the SAT.

you know what pissed me off about the SAT? all of my friends had a higher score in one area than the other. So I thought "FUCK YEAH! I'll finally know where my strong points are" And then what happens? I get a 590 in both math and verbal. Bitches. Now I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom