The Temple Bar: Legit Home of the RECESSION ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:

That's pretty cool. Growing up in NYC, you of course see your hometown in movies all the time, but it was still fun for me to see smaller neighborhoods that I recognized. Same deal with LA.

Have you seen it? It's in this small, quaint town just outside of my city, and they mention my city in it too, apparently.

For the past ten years there's been a bigger trend toward filming in Canada. Well, until our dollar rose in value. Or yours fell. Whatever. Anyway, my point it that usually locations around here are shown very briefly, and, they're usually crap movies. It's neat to have an actual, quality movie filmed here. :)

Several years ago, they closed several streets of our downtown to film exterior locations for the movie Silent Hill. That was a source of pride. Our downtown was so decayed that it stood in for a hellish, apocalyptic place. Since then, they've started a downtown revitalization, so it's only 50% as hellish as it was then.

The only thing we get live out here is the Oscars.

Which, frankly, makes it all worth it, being able to watch it and be done before 9-10:00. :wink:

corianderstem said:
The only thing we get live out here is the Oscars.

Which, frankly, makes it all worth it, being able to watch it and be done before 9-10:00. :wink:

I also figured that probably not many people gave a rat's ass about the SAG Awards. :wink:

NSW, given the places you've lived, filming must be very commonplace for you.

I'm really excited to see Away From Her. The town is really pretty, and there's supposed to be this scene filmed where Christie's character is standing on a bridge, looking onto a river, and the backs of some old, scenic buildings in the downtown. I go over that bridge every time I drive to school. :) I'm such a dork.

VP, it's common, but to me, it's still very cool.

On the Fox lot, they have a permanent NYC exterior set up, and every time they shot something and I was nearby, I'd stop and watch. It never lost its wonder for me, whereas a lot of other elements of the business did.

I'm definitely going to have to see Away From Her once it's on DVD.

I'm usually not all that hepped up about the SAG awards, but since we didn't get the Golden Globes and the Oscars are up in the air, I'd better watch, just in case this is the one awards show we get to see!

corianderstem said:
I'm definitely going to have to see Away From Her once it's on DVD.

I'm usually not all that hepped up about the SAG awards, but since we didn't get the Golden Globes and the Oscars are up in the air, I'd better watch, just in case this is the one awards show we get to see!

I only got to see the last 15 minutes of it, I didn't even realize it was televised. :(

UberBeaver said:
Ummm Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed is missing. As is Golden Years and Memories of a Free Festival.

The only one of those songs I've heard yet is Golden Years. That one got cut by the 80 minute limit. Maybe I can use the single version Young Americans or something and squeeze it in.

I'm getting there.

They film in my area from time to time, most recently with the movie the Chambers brothers are making about Immaculata's women's basketball team.

I'd say more, but I stay anonymous online. :)

corianderstem said:
Confession: I still cry at the end of Titanic. And sometimes in other parts, too.

:reject:

Although I don't cry at it, I don't think Titanic is that bad of a movie. I think it just suffers backlash because of how insanely huge it got. :wisdom:

There are parts that are eye-rollingly silly, but I do still think overall it's not as bad as a lot of people say it is.

Plus, it's got Kate Winslet, and Kate Winslet automatically = awesome.

U2democrat said:
Confession:

I've never watched Titanic the whole way through.

I have intentionally avoided it, especially considering there's so many other films out there to watch.

I think I've seen it maybe two or three times, but not for many years. Sarah was quite taken with it when it came out, so I got it for her on VHS. Man, that seems like a million years ago. She also did a school project and presentation on it for her enrichment class, and built a model of the ship. It was Titanic mania for several months in this house.

Kate Winslet and DiCaprio are two actors I enjoy immensely., especially Kate, she's amazing.

I think that for me, the best part was when the ship went down. I was kind of absorbed then, it kind of hit home for some reason. The shrieks and whatnot just got to me.

I do not think it's a bad film, but, I also do not understand the worship it gets in some quarters.

Yeah, the centerpiece of the movie, and also the most well-done part was the sinking. I seriously can't watch the part without tissues where the musicians play "Nearer My God To Thee" over scenes of the destruction, and the mom tucking in her kids to bed and their impending doom, and the couple embracing in their bed as water floods in.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I can't remember a movie bringing me to tears. I haven't seen enough, honestly.

Confession:

I've never seen Titanic and never want to (romantic movies make me want to throw up :wink: Phantom of the Opera is about as romantic as I get :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom