The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #121
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Ha ha ha ... I'd love to see some of the local commercials the various teams come up with. The Mariners have had some really great ones in past years ... they've been mostly less funny in the last year or two, but there's usually one that makes me chuckle. Usually featuring Ichiro.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
seattle has a sports history?
Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown in 1977.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #123
Blue Crack Distributor

yea but i doubt he was even from seattle
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #124
Blue Crack Supplier

Boo-yeah.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #125
Refugee

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Damn Red Sox -- is it almost football season yet? <laughing>

Seattle has lots of great sports history.

Basketball: The 1979 Sonics championship; Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp making the 1995 finals; and Kevin Durant, a legend-in-the-making. The Storm: 2004 championship.

Baseball: Ken Griffey Jr. and the million great things he accomplished; Randy Johnson and his dominance; Ichiro and his hits record; the team tying for the best regular season record ever in 2001; Edgar Martinez.

Football: Steve Largent, Shawn Alexander and reaching the Superbowl a couple years ago. Yeah, our professional football hasn't been great over the years. Washington Huskies used to be pretty dominant.

Seattle's sports history isn't as rich as some cities, of course, but a lot richer than others.

Oh, and yeah, Jamie Moyer is a classy guy. We could use him in our rotation right now.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Dear Terry,

Our asses are getting splinters from sitting on the bench so much. Please put us in the game.

Sincerely,

The Red Sox bullpen
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by SeattleVertigo

Seattle's sports history isn't as rich as some cities, of course, but a lot richer than others.

True. They have like Hartford and Winnipeg beat!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 AM   #128
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Yeah, I have to agree that Seattle's not really a sports town. WNBA doesn't count, because most sports fans don't give a rat's ass about WNBA.

And this is the town that barely cared enough about baseball to keep the Mariners in Seattle until 1995. Yeah, they sucked, but people weren't chomping at the bit for baseball in Seattle. Not until things got exciting.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #129
Refugee

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Yeah, I have to agree that Seattle's not really a sports town. WNBA doesn't count, because most sports fans don't give a rat's ass about WNBA.

And this is the town that barely cared enough about baseball to keep the Mariners in Seattle until 1995. Yeah, they sucked, but people weren't chomping at the bit for baseball in Seattle. Not until things got exciting.
Well, it is true that we're a bit of a fair-weather sports town, but I think that's the case in most cities. (Green Bay may be an exception.) I'd think we're about average in that regard.

The Key was a totally rocking and rolling place back in the '90s when Kemp and Payton ruled the court. The Seahawks and Mariners certainly fill the stadiums these days.

I know a lot of Seattlites would rather be outdoors doing things than watching sports. I like both! <smile>
Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

True. They have like Hartford and Winnipeg beat!
They may barely edge out Bismarck as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #131
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by SeattleVertigo
Kevin Durant, a legend-in-the-making.
slllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllow down...

let's let him play, oh i don't know, a minute of NBA basketball before we start anointing him with legendary status. he had one good season of college basketball in which his nationaly ranked team was bounced early from the NCAA tournament by a lower seed... hardly Larry Bird type stuff.

and besides... if he does become a legend, he'll likely be doing it in oklahoma city...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #132
Blue Crack Supplier

Villanova completely shut him down. Scottie Reynolds guarded him for the second half (he's 6-0), and allowed him 1 point. So, I'm not convinced at all about Durant.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #133
Blue Crack Distributor

it certainly would be nice if the mets, oh i dunno, remembered how to hit in big games.

it's like the NLCS all over again... the pitching is certainly good enough where the mets should be winning with their offense, only the offense isn't responding... esp. reyes.

and i don't complain about managers too often... i don't really see the point to find a scape goat when my team struggles.. but randolph really needs to get lastings milledge the fuck out of the starting lineup. he sucks and should have been traded when they actually could have gotten something for him.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #134
Blue Crack Supplier

The Phillies pitching staff is awful, too. I'm amazed.

The Phillies had Randolph's number on steals too.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #135
Blue Crack Distributor

i don't really have any problems with reyes getting picked off twice last night... the dodgers and padres were sooooo terrible at holding guys on and he stole soooo many bases that he was bound to get a little over-confident.

but in that ballpark if you hold the phillies to 5 total runs in two games (not counting the 2 they got in extra innings), with the mets offense they should win both games. blame the bullpen and marlon anderson all ya want... just like you can blame the bullpen and el duque's injury all ya want for last year's NLCS... fact of the matter is that the mets offense seems to be developing a pattern of disapearing in big games... starting at the top.

all that said... i expect them to be annoyed about that call last night and break out the whooping stick this afternoon. if they don't and struggle to score runs yet again i'm going to be quite pissed off.

they've completely choked in this series thus far, and if they don't get their act together, with atlanta next, they could very well choke away the division.