The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, another two whole days before the playoffs start. Guess I'll have to watch Champions League soccer or something.

I turned on the San Diego radio broadcast after the game, fully expecting fire and rage, but the announcers are taking it surprisingly well...

Of course, they're going to be taking calls after the commercial break. I'm going to bed though.

See you in the playoffs! :hyper:

It's funny, I thought from the OF cam he MIGHT have gotten his hand/fingertips in, just along the right side of Barrett's cleat I could see his fingers jutting in...but from behind the plate I don't see a touch at all. The only thing I can think is that from where McClellan was he could see between Barrett's legs and may have seen those fingers poking in that I thought might have happened from the OF cam. Kudos to Giles for making it that close, I figured Holliday would make it no problem especially the way Giles' throw left his hand.

I generally like Tim McClellan as an ump but I thought his strike zone was very inconsistent last night...he was doing the "give Peavy all the close stuff based on rep" thing which bugs me. I can understand why, but if you're going to ump that way at least be consistent and have a pitchers' strike zone for everyone.

And I hope the Mets enjoyed their 15 minutes of infamy, because in my book the Padres choked as bad as the Mets did...up 2 games with 2 to go, your HoF closer on the mound, leads in all 3 games. And yeah I know the Mets thing was historic, but the Pads were 5 games up on the Rox with 14 to go (I looked it up).

Here's a tip for Holliday next time there's a close play at home: Slide feet first! If you're the star player on your team, you don't jeopardize your health on one play.

The ump blew that call! Holliday should've been called out because he never touched the plate. Plus, the ump took a little too long to make the call. He just non chalantly called Holliday safe. If Holliday slid feet first, though, he would've touched homeplate.

CTU2fan said:

And I hope the Mets enjoyed their 15 minutes of infamy, because in my book the Padres choked as bad as the Mets did...up 2 games with 2 to go, your HoF closer on the mound, leads in all 3 games. (I looked it up).

But you fail to recognize two things...the Mets were playing below .500 teams while the padres went HEAD TO HEAD with the Rockies, and then faced the Brewers who were on top of their division for more than half of the season...and were even in the hunt for the division entering the series.

^ Very true. Also throw in the injuries to Cameron & Bradley - and Cameron probably makes at least one of the plays Brady Clark missed, or at least plays them properly so they're not triples.

Speaking of triples Brian Giles almost made a fantastic play on Holliday's triple - baseball is such a game of inches.

AL:

Sox over Angels in 4
Indians over Yankees in 5

NL:
Diamondbacks over Cubs in 5
Phillies over Rockies in 4

CTU2fan said:
^ Very true. Also throw in the injuries to Cameron & Bradley - and Cameron probably makes at least one of the plays Brady Clark missed, or at least plays them properly so they're not triples.

Speaking of triples Brian Giles almost made a fantastic play on Holliday's triple - baseball is such a game of inches.

ya can't count bradley 'cause he did it to himself... but yes, cameron probably makes both of those catches that clark missed.

I actually like those picks, except I'd go Cubbies in 5.

I don't know, out of most NL teams the Diamondbacks have looked good for awhile, no offense to the Cubs, I like them and they played killer baseball in the middle of the season, but I just don't think they're a complete enough package. We'll see though.

Well the thing with the Cardinals was how injured they were through the season, their play off team was a lot stronger than that result would suggest.

Pitching wise maybe not, but they were a stronger team than the 07 Cubs, a burnt out Tigers team as their opponent didn't hurt either.

Phillies Playoff Roster

Starting Pitchers
Cole Hamels
Kyle Kendrick
Kyle Lohse*
Jamie Moyer

Relief Pitchers
Clay Condrey***
Jose Mesa
Antonion Alfonseca
Tom Gordon
JC Romero
Brett Myers

Catchers
Carlos Ruiz
Chris Coste
Rod Barajas**

Infielders
Ryan Howard
Chase Utley
Tadahito Iguchi
Jimmy Rollins
Greg Dobbs
Abraham Nunez
Wes Helms

Outfielders
Pat Burrell
Jayson Werth
Aaron Rowand
Shane Victorino
Michael Bourn

Traveling with Team as Injury Extras: Adam Eaton (P), Chris Roberson (OF)

* - Will come out of the bullpen in games 1 and/or 2 if starters get in trouble, and Moyer would pitch Game 3. If not, will pitch Game 3.
** - On roster for two reasons: In case Ruiz is not healed for Game 1, and to allow Manuel to use Chris Coste as a pinch hitter.

Well, they're playing in Arizona, and, those fans deserve to be able to see their team. If they played earlier, they'd all be at work. At least the Cubs are in, enjoy it and stay up late a night or two, it won't kill you.

Back when I was living in Boston, the 2004 ALCS Games 4 and 5 killed me, and they allegedly started at 8 pm and 5 pm respectively.

MsPurrl said:
I'm really ticked that the Cubs game doesn't start until 10:00 p.m. here. *Some* of us have to get up and go to work the next morning. :grumpy:

Ahhhh, the joys of west coast living....
games you can watch without stressing all night, tossing and turning..wondering ....
GO CUBBIES!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom