The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it could very well go to beckett, just like the nl mvp very well could go to rollins (or fielder for that matter).

but trying to be objective... sabathia has better numbers (all be it one less win), and holliday has better numbers than rollins. plus, all respect due to rollins backing up what he said, but the fact that one guy in his lineup finished second in the batting chase and another hit 47 dongs isn't going to help his case.

people thought philly was a legit playoff contender before the season... did anyone, other than our own dear sherman8or, think colorado was a legit playoff team?

You would think as a Sox fan I'd take a bit of pleasure seeing the Mets collapse, after what they did to me & my team in '86...but that was just awful to see. Most of those kids I saw in the stands looking like deer in the headlights weren't even alive when '86 happened - just a horrible thing for fans, especially young ones, to go through.

But I'll tell you what - the Mets will probably turn this around. Somebody will throw a no-no eventually, and they'll win a WS (maybe even with this group led by Wright). And when they do, this low time will make that championship that much sweeter.

I wonder if the Mets' behavior on Saturday added a bit of motivation to a dead team in the Marlins.

Awards:

AL MVP - ARod
NL MVP - Rollins
AL CY - Sabathia (though I would vote for Beckett)
NL CY - Jake Peavy (especially since today counts, he has a shot at 20 wins)
AL RoY - Dustin Pedroia (over D. Young & Bannister)
NL RoY - Braun
AL MoY - Torre (that team was dead)
NL MoY - Melvin (this is a tough call, Manuel, Piniella, Hurdle all deserving)

CTU2fan said:
I wonder if the Mets' behavior on Saturday added a bit of motivation to a dead team in the Marlins.

most deffinetly.

not for nothing, glavine really didn't pitch that poorly. he was making good pitches, the marlins were just hitting them. if that fight doesn't happen, who knows how yesterday would have gone.

to quote hanley ramirez... "if i had a broken leg i would have played. i hate those guys."

thank you lastings milledge and jose reyes. your little pansy dance in a blow out gave motivation to a team that had packed it in 2 weeks ago. well done... assholes.

Last edited:
Ah, the fuckin Mets screwed up my prediction. It was supposed to be Yankees/Mets in the World Series. But, the Mets had to go and screw it up by botching things up in the weak National League.
Lets look at the final records:
Boston: 96-66
Cleveland: 96-66
LA Angels: 94-68
Yanks: 94-68

Arizona: 90-72
Philly: 89-73
Chicago: 85-77

Colorado: 89-73
San Diego: 89-73

Now, yes, of course, I want the Yankees to represent the American League in the Series, but any AL team that makes it to the Series should wipe the floor with any team from the NL. I say "should" because last year the mediocre Cardinals and their 83-79 won the World Series, so anything is possible.

But, from the looks of things, the World Championship should be going to a team from the American League.

CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

the guy over at faith and fear in flushing, the best mets blog out there, put it so perfect that i have to post it...

I'm OK, and That's Not OK
by Jason on Mon 01 Oct 2007 07:00 AM EDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos
When it was over, when the disaster was complete, Joshua began to cry. That's the thing about being four -- up until the third strike on Castillo, he really believed the Mets were going to win. It didn't matter that the Nationals were down 6-1 with two out in the ninth. He believed in them, too. When both of those beliefs were revealed as fantasies, he was genuinely astonished and grief-stricken.

I scooped him up and patted the back of his WRIGHT 5 shirt and said fatherly things. I told him that there were little kids and Moms and Dads who are Phillie fans who are really happy right now. (There are. It's true. I even know some of them.) I told him that in order to have miracles, you have to accept the possibility of disasters. I told him that this was the worst thing that had ever happened to a team in September, which meant he'll probably go his entire lifetime without another death spiral like this one. I tried to tell him that there was still baseball to watch, that it might be fun to root the Phillies or the Cubs or the Indians on to a championship.

It occurred to me, halfway through, that I might really be trying to comfort myself. But that wasn't it. Because I was OK.

No, I'm serious. I really was.

And coming from someone as fanatical as me, that should stand as one of the ultimate indictments of the 2007 New York Mets.

This isn't to say I was happy. By 12:15 I was losing track of conversations and spacing out, aware that game time was near and I had to get myself home. As Glavine neared fatal impact, I was unmanned by rage and unleashed a torrent of words not acceptable in our household. (Joshua: "Daddy, please don't say bad words." Followed, moments later, by "this is the worstest game ever!") When Ramon Castro lowered his hand, triumph derailed, I let out a scream of torment.

But after that, I was calm. Unhappy, but calm. The Mets lost. I watched the fans stare at the field and listened to Gary and Ron and Keith prattle on about the crew until word came that the Nationals had lost. And then I got on with my day.

I never liked this team. Early on, when they were ahead of last year's pace, I was vaguely embarrassed by this. Like a lot of us, I found myself groping for explanations, and worrying about why they left me cold. Was this the ugly side of raised expectations? Of the first stages of hegemony? Was this how being a Yankee fan began? What wasn't to like?

But I struggled to warm to them during the spring, and when they stumbled through the summer I stopped fighting it. I let a bit of hard-earned cynicism take over, dissecting fandom like social scientists examine human attachment. I told myself that when they made the playoffs, I'd find myself liking them just fine. But then the second half of September came, with the second horrible body blow administered by the Phillies, the inept handling of the pitching staff, the idiotic displays of temper, and the repeated assheaded baseball. And finally, those horrifying quotes by Delgado and Glavine and Pedro, the astonishing admissions that yeah, the team was bored and complacent. That right there was the end of the pretending that I would change my mind.

And that, oddly, made the rest easier. I will always love the 1985, 1999 and 2006 teams, despite the fact that they never won titles. I was never going to like this one, even if it wound up rolling down the Canyon of Heroes. (Maybe that's a massive rationalization. I wouldn't know -- until now, I hadn't had any experience analyzing my feelings after the worst collapse in major-league history.) The 2007 Mets were the smug, self-satisfied hare to the tortoises of Philadelphia and San Diego and Colorado. Badly constructed and badly led, in the end they got exactly what they deserved.

After it was over, Emily and I watched in bewilderment as a few stubborn fans remained behind the dugout. What could they possibly be waiting for? I actually hoped they wanted stuff to sell on eBay, because the alternative was so pathetic: At the conclusion of this self-inflicted disaster, who would want to lay eyes on a single member of this band of choking loafers or their bloodless, self-deluding leadership?

There were fans crying after that third out. I cried last year, but why would I shed a tear for this team? For whom, exactly? For Tom Glavine, now undressed and revealed as the Frank Viola of his Met generation? For Willie Randolph, who never stopped issuing pronouncements about winners from the mountaintop while his team died in the valley? For Jose Reyes, regressing before our eyes as a ballplayer? For Billy Wagner, running his mouth and then trying to weasel out of his own words? For Lastings Milledge, jogging after balls with the season hanging by a thread? Those crying fans had never been complacent or bored. They hadn't decided they were such good fans that they could start caring when they needed to. In the end, they cared far more than those to whom they'd entrusted their hopes.

There are 2007 Mets I never want to see again. There are others I'll forgive and find myself cheering for with all the wild hope of fandom. But I didn't want to see any of them after that final out. I didn't even want to think about them. I know that will change, but I can't tell you when it will be. And yet those fans waited behind the dugout, the stadium emptying around them, the season dead. Why would they possibly want these Mets to return?

And finally I thought of something.

"Maybe," I said to Emily, "they've filled their pockets with rocks."

http://faithandfear.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2007/10/1/3262671.html

The NL postseason will be very intriguing though. If the Rox can take care of the we-get-in-every-year-lose-in-the-NLDS-and-nobody-cares Padres you'll have the sentimental choice Cubs and 3 hungry up-and-comers in Philly, CO, and the Baby Backs.

I could see the NL representative hanging with the Angels, because their offense isn't as intimidating, and maybe the Tribe because I don't trust Borowski. If Boston or NY gets to the WS I can't see one of the NL squads knocking them off.

And why do you always hear whispers of cliques and infighting and divided clubhouses when it doesn't go well for the Mets? Not saying that's not going on, but there definitely seems to be a pattern with that franchise...from the Leiter and Franco days to now apparently the same kind of stuff with players going over the manager's head to the GM, and Minaya undercutting Willie. You'd have to think it's an ownership thing since the only real constant there is the Wilpons.

CTU2fan said:
And why do you always hear whispers of cliques and infighting and divided clubhouses when it doesn't go well for the Mets? Not saying that's not going on, but there definitely seems to be a pattern with that franchise...from the Leiter and Franco days to now apparently the same kind of stuff with players going over the manager's head to the GM, and Minaya undercutting Willie. You'd have to think it's an ownership thing since the only real constant there is the Wilpons.

because this stuff goes on with every team... and it's only a big deal when you lose. and when you play in new york, it becomes an even bigger deal.

the yankees go through the same stuff, but they win... a-rod vs. jeter, reggie vs. billy vs. george, etc. etc.

That's probably a big part of it. It would have been interesting to watch the fallout if the Yankees had never righted the ship, though I'm not sure how crazy it would have gotten as I'm pretty sure George isn't well. The days of the old bombastic Steinbrenner are over.

I think its time to break up the Mets. I'm not saying completely demolish the team, but several guys have got to go. Carlos Delgado and Shawn Green are two Mets whose better days are behind them. I'd say Green's chances of leaving are better than Delgado's because I believe Delgado just signed a fairly new deal with the Mets. Fortysomething Moises Alou had a very solid season, but he did miss a lot of time due to injury. Can the Mets expect him to play more games next year? Plus, 35 year old Paul LoDuca will be a free agent. Should the Mets just let him go and shop around for some other catcher? Those are just a few of the many Mets decisions coming in the offseason. But, one thing is for sure, the Mets need some more good players because Beltran, Wright and Reyes aren't going to get it done every game.

a quick run down...

delgado - i'd dump him but he'll be back

castillo - keep

reyes - i wouldn't shed a tear if they traded him, but he'll be back

wright - baring injury he'll be the last met to ever wear #5

alou - only way they should keep him is in a platoon situation... he can't last hte whole season anymore

beltran - ain't goin' anywhere

green - i like him and i think they can get him for cheap... he can play right field and first base and didn't say boo when he wasn't started much down the stretch despite hitting over .400 in september. i'd keep him, but i doubt they will.

chavez - the "hero" of a game the mets lost (another thing about the mets that will drive you crazy... endy chavez catch bobble head day! they lost the game assholes) needlessly stole third base against the nationals in the bottom of the 9th when willie has the stop sign on (another sign that willie has no control). dump him (but they'll probably keep him).

milledge - helped spark a brawl that woke up a dead team, and took a light jog after a ball hit into the corner in yesterday's game. they should dump him, but he'll probably start.

glavine - go back to atlanta and stay there

pedro - keep

maine - will continue to get better... he struggled this year after the all star break but he's never pitched this many innings before. it was bound to happen. keep.

perez - keep on a short leash. next season is big for him... if he can get over the hump he can be a dominating ace type pitcher. if he doesn't? victor zambrano.

el duque - two years running he got nagging injuries that kept him out at the most crucial time of the season. dude's 50 years old. peace out.

mota - kill.

schowenweiss - took the abuse of his early season failures and actually played well down the stretch. keep.

heilman - trade him and let him start somewhere

sosa - there's a reason why he sucked with the braves.

wagner - a low key armando benietez. puts up great numbers but always fails in the clutch. but you have to keep him, because really... who else?

pelfrey - keep and put into the rotation

humber - give him a shot.

willie - fire (but probably won't happen)

omar - bye (but deffinetly won't happen)

the wilpon's - sell (but will never happen)

The Red Sox are having one today too. Sorry, but this isn't high school before the big Thanksgiving game and besides I'm pretty sure that the Sox know how much people support them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=mets/091001&sportCat=mlb&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

Forty-four reasons the New York Mets suffered perhaps the greatest collapse in baseball history, blowing a seven-game lead in their final 17 games:

1. The Curse of Bobby Bonilla.

2. The Curse of Kevin Mitchell's Ex-Girlfriend's Cat.

3. Marketing slogan "Your Season Has Come" was pretty much a gift-wrapped jinx waiting to happen.

4. Shouldn't have brought back Vince Coleman to light the fuse for the special division-winning fireworks show.

5. Jose Reyes in April: .356/.442/.596, "Best player in baseball"; Jose Reyes in September: .214/.290/.348, "Hey, that's how Rey Ordonez used to hit."

6. Stuck with a meager $101 million payroll instead of $199 million payroll like the Yankees.

7. They lacked the enthusiasm necessary to win, unlike Eli Manning.

8. When the most solid part of your team is the bench (Endy Chavez, Ramon Castro, Ruben Gotay, Marlon Anderson), it might be a sign that some other parts -- like, oh, the starting rotation, the bullpen, the defense, the clutch hitting -- need some work.

9. Everyone knows Tom Glavine hits the wall at 200 innings ... why did Willie Randolph try to squeeze even one-third of an inning more out of him?

10. Why, oh why, bring back Timo Perez as a pinch runner?

11. Staff ERA by month: April, 2.96; May, 3.73; June, 4.20; July, 4.50; August, 4.93; September, 5.14.

12. Shouldn't have benched Hope Solo.

13. Players turned against each other after team-wide fantasy football draft in early September.

14. Lastings Milledge is no Willie Mays.

15. Maybe management should have realized Carlos Delgado can't hit lefties anymore (.267/.318/.386).

16. Let's see: Ramon Castro hits 11 homers in 144 at-bats while Paul Lo Duca hits nine homers in 445 at-bats. Oh, and did we mention Lo Duca grounded into 18 double plays? See, here's the thing: Lo Duca may be perceived as a leader in the clubhouse, but Castro is the better player.

17. Mr. Met got distracted by his midseason election to the Hall of Fame.

18. Well, that 6-12 record against the Phillies sure didn't help.

19. David Wright's lady wore a T-shirt to Shea Stadium that only said "fudge."

20. Too wrapped up in Brett Favre's historic chase to concentrate on the task at hand.

21. Scoffed at the idea of signing Roger Clemens because he'd be toast by September.

22. Rickey Henderson says Rickey should have played instead of coached.

23. Glavine suffered a concussion after being sacked by Osi Umenyiora.

24. Team distracted that Mr. Met was being investigated by Mitchell committee for the suspicious size of his head.

25. Designated Julio Franco for assignment on July 13, raising team's average age.

26. Team chemistry broke down after Moises Alou introduced a secret handshake.

27. Don't have that awesome 1-2 set-up crew of Jose Mesa and Antonio Alfonseca like the Phillies do.

28. Bill Belichick was stealing the Mets' signals.

29. Not enough Facebook friends.

30. Probably shouldn't have honored the '93 Mets back in that touching on-field ceremony.

31. Well, there was that 7-3 lead they blew to the Nationals on Sept. 18.

32. And that 7-4 lead they blew to the Marlins in the bottom of the ninth on Sept. 20.

33. And that three-game set against the Nationals during Sept. 24-26 in which the Mets allowed 32 runs against the NL's lowest-scoring team.

34. Pat Burrell hit 19 homers with 60 RBIs in the second half.

35. Jimmy Rollins played baseball while Jose Reyes sulked.

36. The Phillies overcame an injury to MVP candidate Chase Utley ... while the Mets resorted to using Guillermo Mota over and over and ...

37. Maybe that start given to Chan Ho Park on April 30 wasn't such a good idea.

38. Anderson Hernandez just isn't a "True Met."

39. In some convoluted way, the departure of Anna Benson must be to blame.

40. Mets just wanted to ensure they'd get the cover of the New York Post.
front100107.jpg
back100107.jpg

41. No inspiring speech from Pedro about plunking Richie Ashburn in the rear end.

42. Players wanted to clear their schedules to watch exciting postseason baseball.

43. Umm, the bullpen?

44. Because they're not the Yankees.

randhail said:
The Red Sox are having one today too. Sorry, but this isn't high school before the big Thanksgiving game and besides I'm pretty sure that the Sox know how much people support them.

Sure the Sox know...but this isn't a "let's see if we have any support" type of rally. This is a "THANK YOU" rally.

I am at the airport now and of course had to connect at Government Center. The trains were PACKED going to Government Center (it especially sucked with suitcases).

On another note...we toured Fenway today. The NLDS logo is painted and the guys were out taking bating practice. When we got u

Fortunately for San Diego, Matt Holiday has decided to return the favor.

Jesus, do Rockies fans need to chant "M-V-P" for every single player that comes up to bat??

I've heard it for Tulowitzki, Holliday, and Helton so far, and that's just when I've been paying attention.

We all know it's going to Rollins anyways.

Wow. How can the Padres bring out Doug Brocail out for a tied game in the bottom of the 10th instead of Trevor Hoffman in a do-or-die game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom