The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3 - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:15 PM
I think you're giving Pedro too much credit there and not enough to Minaya, who's a pretty good GM. Does the presence of Pedro help? Absolutely. Is Pedro the main reason for some of moves that occurred after? I don't think so.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #257
Blue Crack Addict

And speaking of Mets, watching Jacoby Ellsbury for the Red Sox, and the spark he brings, reminds me of Jose Reyes. If he's not the everyday leadoff hitter for them next year, then something's not right.

He needs a double to hit for the cycle tonight.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know it's a small sampling, but Jacoby looks like real player. He's making the most of his September trip up to Boston. It's going to be fun watching him roam around the outfield in the coming years.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #259
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I think you're giving Pedro too much credit there and not enough to Minaya, who's a pretty good GM. Does the presence of Pedro help? Absolutely. Is Pedro the main reason for some of moves that occurred after? I don't think so.
i have to disagree... minaya's a great GM don't get me wrong, and of course he deserves the credit for bringing pedro in in the first place... but if pedro martinez never signs with new york, carlos beltran never signs with the mets.

once pedro signed, beltran signed, and it was a domino effect from there.

you don't quite understand what a joke the mets had become in this town... pedro changed that instantly. and yes, it was omar's signing, and i give him all the credit in the world as well. but pedro brought a buzz to the stadium instantly... sure, it would have gotten there again eventually as the team got better... but it was there over night because of pedro. while the team was averaging in the low 20's per night in 2004, they were averaging at least 45,000 a night in every start pedro made at home, mostly on walk ups, many times selling out. the extra tickets sold on days that pedro pitched in that first season alone? add 'em all up... they equaled the amount of the 4th year on the contract. so long story short... he's already paid for himself and then some, in more ways than one.

and one more thing... i'm not alone in the thought that the mets performance since pedro rejoined the team friday night, right after that dreadful performance in philly, and their performance since then are related.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #260
Refugee

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Oh yay. Mariners give up 20 hits and lose 12-3 to the Yankees. They so need to get their act together.

At least the Red Sox seem pretty safe right now.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:15 PM
Don't forget, Pedro also brought David Ortiz to the Sox...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #262
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
Don't forget, Pedro also brought David Ortiz to the Sox...
and Clay Buchholz
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i have to disagree... minaya's a great GM don't get me wrong, and of course he deserves the credit for bringing pedro in in the first place... but if pedro martinez never signs with new york, carlos beltran never signs with the mets.

you don't quite understand what a joke the mets had become in this town... pedro changed that instantly. and yes, it was omar's signing, and i give him all the credit in the world as well. but pedro brought a buzz to the stadium instantly... sure, it would have gotten there again eventually as the team got better... but it was there over night because of pedro. while the team was averaging in the low 20's per night in 2004, they were averaging at least 45,000 a night in every start pedro made at home, mostly on walk ups, many times selling out. the extra tickets sold on days that pedro pitched in that first season alone? add 'em all up... they equaled the amount of the 4th year on the contract. so long story short... he's already paid for himself and then some, in more ways than one.
Like I said, I agree that having Pedro has helped, and maybe it did facilitate the Mets rise from mediocrity a little faster, but something tells me Omar still would have turned the franchise around with or without him. Maybe it would have taken a bit longer, yes, but I still think they would've made significant improvement.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #264
Blue Crack Distributor

perhaps... but it sped the transition from laughing stock to legit contender up considerably.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #265
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

and one more thing... i'm not alone in the thought that the mets performance since pedro rejoined the team friday night, right after that dreadful performance in philly, and their performance since then are related.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #266
Acrobat

good bullpen work by the Phillies today
Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #267
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms
good bullpen work by the Phillies today
I will now light myself on fire.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by SeattleVertigo
Oh yay. Mariners give up 20 hits and lose 12-3 to the Yankees. They so need to get their act together.

At least the Red Sox seem pretty safe right now.
That second game sucked, but if I were the Mariners, I'd be thrilled with taking 2 games out of 3 at Yankee Stadium (which stands a good chance of happening).
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Wow, the Mariners sure crapped the bed in a hurry.