The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching the game when Clemens made his announcement. Everyone was surprised. It's always cool when a future hall of famer gets on the house mic at The Stadium and says I'll be talking to you soon. I don't know if Clemens will be enough to help the Yanks' pitching, but the other starters are beginning to come around. What does The Rocket have left at age 44/45? Stay tuned.

PS; With all of the talk about how badly Yanks are doing, the 2006 World Champion Cardinals are doing worse then them. This has been a pretty tough season for them already. First, the manager, Tony LaRussa gets pulled over for passing out at the wheel. Fast forward to now and one of their pitchers dies in a crash where he was drunk, stoned, had a over a quarter of an ounce of weed in the car and was on his cell phone at about the time he crashed. A damn shame, by the way. But, of course, most of the talk has been about how badly the Yanks have played. Their high payroll might be a reason for this though. Lol!

the cardinals sucked last year and just happened to get hot at the right time. and they don't have a 5 billion payroll.

if the mets or red sox were tanking, they'd be getting made fun of, too. not as much as the yankees, but more than the cardinals, because it's easy to pick on the teams that spend the most, and maybe rightfully so.

clemens... eh... a 2.30 era in the NL Central probably equates to about a 3.30 in the AL East. tack on another year, and who knows...

i really can't see clemens with an ERA under 3 at 45 years old in the AL East. but, of course, an ERA under 4 with that lineup is probably good enough for a winning record with that lineup, but i doubt it's good enough to win the world series, which is the only reason to give someone that kinda money.

all the pomp and circumstance aside, this is an old time george steinbrenner move. i highly doubt brian cashman was the one spearheading this... it won't help them win the world series, it might not even get them into the playoffs. it's another waste of money for an aging player when what the yankees need to do is get young.

tossing (pro-rated) 10 million dollars more than the next highest bidder is a desperation move of the highest level. and hey, maybe it works. or maybe it blows up in their face. but it only goes further to prove that the yankees ownership is so diluted in their thought process that it's just baffeling. they may win a championship here and there as time goes on, but as long as they keep spending like this they'll never develop the kind of team they had in the mid 90's. why were they so good then? jeter, bernie, mariano, pettite, posada... all home grown young guys entering their prime together. they were allowed to develop, they weren't traded away.

would anyone really be shocked if come august 31st philip hughes is traded away for the 30+ year old pitcher de jour? really? would ya?

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

would anyone really be shocked if come august 31st philip hughes is traded away for the 30+ year old pitcher de jour? really? would ya?
I'll give them Julian Tavarez for Hughes.:wink:

The Mariners would like to thank the Yankees for turning the last two innings of the game into a press event instead of, you know, a baseball game.

Because that's OBVIOUSLY the reason they lost, you know. :wink:

Usually, yes. But they seem to be doing better so far this year than they have the past few years. I mean, they were at or over .500 for a while! They were even in first place for a brief, shining moment!

No spoken words said:
Someone with me, who shall remain nameless...

I heard the news and thought "I HAVE to tell him when we got back to the seats."

My brain froze two minutes later.

MrPryck2U said:
Their high payroll might be a reason for this though.

That's exactly it.

It's now $223 million.

In Philly, we make a big deal about them underachieving. Their payroll is $89 million, 14th highest in the league.

If you spend that much money and don't win, aside from many other problems, your general manager is an idiot.

And people will make a HUGE deal about this.

And people will dislike your organization.

16 Million For Pettitte
11 Million For Mussina
10 Million for Pavano
30 Million for Igawa (his salary + posting fee)
28 Million for Clemens (Pro rated)

95 million for their starting rotation alone, oh and their best picther makes 500k

btw Igawa was sent to class A today

Someone explain to me how Cashman is a great GM again?

Count David Ortiz among those who isn't convinced Barry Bonds used illegal performance-enhancing drugs -- or if they really helped the San Francisco Giants outfielder make his run at Hank Aaron's home run record.

"To hit the ball, the guy makes it look easy, but it ain't. I don't know how you can have that swing, consistently. I don't know how steroids can do that," Ortiz told the Boston Herald. "There are supposed to be guys using steroids in the game, and there's nobody close to Barry Bonds. What's that mean? He was using the best [stuff]? Know what I'm saying?"

The Boston Red Sox designated hitter told the Herald that no one has proven that Bonds knowingly used steroids or other performance-enhancing substances -- and that even if it were proven, he's not sure it has made a difference.

"I don't look at it like that. I look at it hitting-wise, because I don't know what steroids can do to you as a baseball player. You've still got to swing the bat, man," Ortiz said. "If I ever use steroids, and then I know what the difference can be and I'm using them, I'll tell you, 'Yeah, whatever,' but I don't know what the feelings are when you use the steroids. But I can tell you how it feels to pull yourself together to swing the bat."

In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

Bonds and the Giants are scheduled to visit Fenway Park for a June 15-17 interleague series, and Ortiz told the newspaper that Bonds deserves a warmer welcome than he will probably get from Red Sox Nation.

"He deserves respect," Ortiz told the Herald. "People are not going to give it to him because of all the bad things running around, this and that, but people need to realize. I've heard a lot of different things about Barry Bonds, but people should just admit it -- this guy's a bad [expletive]."

And Ortiz thinks commissioner Bud Selig should commit to being on hand when Bonds breaks Aaron's major league record of 755 home runs.

"He's just making things worse," Ortiz told the Herald. "He's the commissioner, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't be saying that. What are people going to think about the game? They'll be like, 'This game is a joke.' He should come, even if he doesn't want to."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2863623

What a douche Papi. I'm tired of that logic. Steriods won't help you hit a baseball. Bonds & other MLB players can already do that very well. What steriods along with exercise can do is help you hit it farther. And more importantly for these players, it keeps their bodies from breaking down frequently.

So now they're able to consistently perform at a top level throughout the course of a season. After a while though, the athlete's joints start to wear and tear, and they can't even walk. Look at McGuire a few years ago, and Bonds now.

I do think that steriods have helped pitchers the most. Their arm/body wears down the most throughout the year. And to be able to throw the ball with the same velocity late in the year as they do around May/June would be a huge advantage.

The Yanks will not trade Hughes, just like they did not trade Wang or Cano or Cabrera. However, I could see them parting with any # of their other minor leaguers to get someone around the deadline, just like they do every year. But it won't be Hughes, no chance.

As for Clemens, if he tested positive for steroids, it sure would not shock me. I am not saying that I'm convinced that he is on them or anything, but, it would not be a big surprise. And, despite me being happy that he'll help out the Yankee staff (and Headache, if he posts a 4.00 ERA I'll be pleased, though, for that $$$ they better get more than that) I really am tired of this annual bullshit with him. Fucking play or not, and fucking be on the team or not. I think it sends a shitty signal to let him skip road trips when he is not pitching. Every player with a family wants to be with their kids, but, when you agree to play pro baseball, you forfeit that right to be well compensated for playing a game, albeit at an elite level. I just have trouble with prima donna treatment for anyone, hall of famer to be or not.

Lastly, nothing is funnier than Mets or Sox fans pointing out Yankee spending habits. The Yanks spend like drunken sailors, and everyone knows it, and once upon a time they spent that $$$ wisely, and now they'll spend it on anyone and it frustrates me to no end....but, please, the Mets and Sox spend a ton and are the envy of many a smaller market team. What the Sox paid for Matsuzaka's posting fee alone is more than some team's payrolls. So, yeah, do the Yanks look silly for Igawa right about now? Damn right they do, but, they're not alone on some sort of spending island.

That all being said....Jose Reyes is awesome, what a ball player.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
speaking of el roidos, a caller on mike and the mad dog today asked a really tough question... is roger clemens waiting till the season is underway to return in order to avoid the first round of steroid testing? :hmm:
I heard a theory that the reason Clemens has done the 1/2 season thing the past 3 years is to get a "cycle" in the offseason, get past the testing date and get it out of his system.
Who knows. His head has always been huge.

No spoken words said:

Lastly, nothing is funnier than Mets or Sox fans pointing out Yankee spending habits. The Yanks spend like drunken sailors, and everyone knows it, and once upon a time they spent that $$$ wisely, and now they'll spend it on anyone and it frustrates me to no end....but, please, the Mets and Sox spend a ton and are the envy of many a smaller market team. What the Sox paid for Matsuzaka's posting fee alone is more than some team's payrolls. So, yeah, do the Yanks look silly for Igawa right about now? Damn right they do, but, they're not alone on some sort of spending island.
Granted its still quite early, but a key differnce is that the Red Sox and Mets are both in first place (Mets tied with Braves) in their divisions while the Yanks are sub .500 and jostling for postition in the standings with the Devil Rays.
So at least the Sox and Mets to date are performing like a team with a huge payroll should.

No spoken words said:

That all being said....Jose Reyes is awesome, what a ball player.

don't get me wrong... i could care less about how much money the yankees spend. i just get a chuckle at how poorly they spend it.

and i hate met fans (and red sox fans) who bitch about how the yankees are a bunch of hired guns... as if pedro martinez, carlos beltran, carlos delgado, moises alou, etc. etc. etc. were all home grown players. the difference is that the mets are doing it the way the yankees did it in the mid 90s (young home grown core with veteran's brought in around them), but they're still spending a ton and their fans have no reason to complain about anyone else.

and yes, watching jose reyes is the reason to root for just one team. sitting through all the bad years makes watching him all the more enjoyable. seeing him leg out a triple in person is one of the greatest things in sports i've ever seen. he's so fast it's unbelievable unless you see it for yourself. in fact, his speed is probably what kept him away from carlos beltran's evil hair buzzer...

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Mets conduct scouting meetings before the first games of all series, baseball versions of X's and O's. What they had Tuesday before they engaged the Giants in the second game of their series in San Francisco was something altogether different, though it still could be appropriately identified as a skull session.
Before batting practice and evidently after little forethought, the Mets got buzzed. One by one, players tread into a room by the shower room looking quite normal, and one by one, they emerged shorn like sheep. For no apparent reason other than "they could," they had their hair reduced to boot-camp length by Carlos "The Barber" Beltran, a man of unquestioned tonsorial skill.

It was palpable peer pressure at work. All but a few conceded to the shear magic of Beltran, even Shawn Green, who had vowed to be the last man, submitted to the supposedly unifying experience. He became Shorn Green.

Jose Reyes resisted without his signature smile. Aaron Sele avoided the cut, too, noting that he would be posing for photos with his family Thursday. And Tom Glavine, the starting pitcher Tuesday night, after watching in amusement, said he would concede after the game, and he did.

But not all went willingly. Wondering about the demonstration of unity, David Newhan asked, "Can't we just pull our pants [legs] up?" After all, Newhan, Green and Jorge Sosa had the most to lose.

Indeed, Newhan had taken a seat inside his locker with only legs visible, his upper body and full head hidden behind clothes on hangers.

Finally, just before he relented -- giving in to Paul Lo Duca's promise of a dinner -- he did a brief television interview.

"His last interview as a good looking guy," Green said of Newhan.

When Newhan emerged, he looked even more like his father, Ross, the Hall of Fame baseball writer, who had the shaved look, via natural means, for a long time.

Green, who had repeatedly lost his cap in the outfield because of "all the hair," had wondered aloud how he would keep his cap and/or his yarmulke in place. And once he had a look he clearly didn't like, he asked for a new cap "four sizes smaller."

Mike Pelfrey swore he'd never remove his cap again, but not until Lo Duca decided, "Pelfrey looks like Sinead O'Connor."

Lo Duca had his head shaven on two sides for a while, but then had it done evenly, making him what one of his teammates called "The last of the Mohicans."

Moises Alou described his wife's anger: "She'll be mad I never cut it off for her, but I did it for the guys."

The whole exercise began in the afternoon with David Wright, who had his buzz-cut done by his friend and bullpen catcher Dave Racaniello. The rest was left to Beltran, although it was unclear who scalped him.

"It has nothing to do with what's going on on the field," Wright said. "It's just to change things up a little."

Some -- Carlos Delgado, Endy Chavez and Ruben Gotay among them -- already had the uniform look. And Damion Easley just reverted to his Port St. Lucie look. manager Willie Randolph keeps his hair closely cropped anyway, so he just watched. And general manager Omar Minaya didn't go looking for Beltran. Batting coach Rick Down submitted, but first-base coach Howard Johnson remained strangely invisible.

The one person everyone wanted to see in Beltran's chair, though, was pitching coach Rick Peterson, who has more hair that he has analogies.

"There's a better chance I'll punch out 20 tonight" Glavine said, "than [Peterson will] get that cut off."

"He's hiding in the outfield," Heilman said.

Billy Wagner suggested, "Let's get him. What's he gonna do, soft-toss us to death?"

And when it was nearly time to take the field for batting practice, Glavine, his graying locks untouched, found a silver lining in all the ugliness he saw before him. "At least now we won't spend any time at the mirror," Glavine said, "and the bus can leave on time."

capt.2a39dc74f8c44017873701d5ac10ad95.mets_giants_baseball_fxpb102.jpg
capt.1736ea7f38e541ae96ac7e6fbaee9a3b.mets_giants_baseball_fxpb101.jpg

Actually he'll still have to wait a couple of years for Gil Meche money even if he goes 33-2.
Such are the rules of MLB.
Owners have an advantage for a few years, then players get to demand $28 million, a plane, a bowl full of HGH every day and a hot asian masseuse once they are eligible for free agency.

asian6299-213.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom